BARBAGALLO RACEWAY, PERTH - FACTS, FIGURES AND TRACK DESCRIPTION POINTS OF INTEREST * Russell Ingall will run Starlight Children's Foundation "Star Day" signage on the side of his Caltex Falcon this weekend. Caltex is a major supporter of the...
BARBAGALLO RACEWAY, PERTH - FACTS, FIGURES AND TRACK DESCRIPTION
POINTS OF INTEREST
* Russell Ingall will run Starlight Children's Foundation "Star Day" signage on the side of his Caltex Falcon this weekend. Caltex is a major supporter of the Children's charity.
* Marcos Ambrose has just returned from the US where he was a spectator at two NASCAR races and met several of Ford's major players in the US-based series. Ambrose intends racing in the US next season.
* Last year's Perth round was Ingall's 100th round start -- this will be his 111th.
* Ambrose qualified 21st at Barbagallo last year -- his worst ever result -- he finished an amazing second overall for the weekend.
* After two rounds last season Ingall was sitting in 14th place in the championship and Ambrose was second to Steve Richards -- this year Ambrose leads the championship with Ingall second. Ingall has finished second in the championship four times -- (2004, 2001, 1999, 1998)
THOUGHTS ON BARBAGALLO--..
MARCOS AMBROSE -- PIRTEK RACING
This is a track which I had struggled on constantly until 2003 when we finally turned it all around and collected the winner's trophy. The weekend at Barbagallo is always a long one, but the massive crowd makes the trip worthwhile. Last year we struggled in qualifying and finished up 21st, but we managed to salvage a second overall after three top-four placings.
MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT
In 1997 I was in Formula Ford and I was in a qualifying session. I was sitting in about 18th and was just cruising around trying to get a tow. My pit crew thought I was just mucking around, because there is no radio communication, and the next thing I knew my lap board came flying over the pit wall at me while I was on the track. Ironically, that lap was my fastest of the day.
THOUGHTS ON BARBAGALLO--..
RUSSELL INGALL -- CALTEX RACING
I have always had a strong fan base in WA and that obviously makes the trip worthwhile. The track is a very good design and undulating. The track is one of the few where I have not had an outright victory. Hopefully we can change that this weekend.
One year I did what NASCAR drivers say to do and hit everything, including the pace car. I had clipped a wall and was reversing back on to the track, but did not realise the pace car was behind me. I was also leaving the track one Saturday night when some naked guy came running out of the camping area beside the track and tried to hand me a can of VB.