10 Fast Facts about V8 Utes at Winton Raceway 1) Winton Raceway is 3km long and runs in a clockwise direction. 2) Layton "Leadfoot" Crambrook holds the Lap record for Winton set in Race One, 2008 in a time of 1:39.2946. 3) The V8 Utes have...
10 Fast Facts about V8 Utes at Winton Raceway
1) Winton Raceway is 3km long and runs in a clockwise direction.
2) Layton "Leadfoot" Crambrook holds the Lap record for Winton set in Race One, 2008 in a time of 1:39.2946.
3) The V8 Utes have raced at Winton Raceway four times in their ten years as a Series, 2002, 2003, 2008 and 2009.
4) Four drivers in the current Series competed in the first V8 Ute appearance at Winton in 2002 they include; Jack Elsegood, Gary MacDonald, Noel Edge and Charlie Kovacs.
5) Warren Luff set the first lap record in 2002 in a time of 1:41.68 and broke it again in 2003 by .47tenths of a second and held it until 2008.
6) Two times Winton podium winner, Gary Baxter had his first car race at Winton Raceway 31 years ago.
7) In 2008 New Zealand driver, Chris Pither qualified in the top ten but received a late last minute call up from Team Kiwi Racing to drive their V8 Supercar, which prevented him from taking his spot on the grid for Race One of the V8 Utes. However he is back in force this year and is looking forward to putting the car on pole.
8) Local team manager, Wayne Williams is preparing five of the V8 Utes including the two Ice Break backed Holden's, to be driven by Gary MacDonald and Chris Pither, Sydneysider, Nandi Kiss' Holden and Colin Dunn's Red Ass Mexican Ford to be driven by Yanis Derums.
9) Winton raceway was only one of two podium wins that Jack "The Hustler" Elsegood claimed in 2009, which took him to a Series win.
10) Winton raceway was a come-back round for a few of the 2009 top drivers including Layton "Leadfoot" Crambrook who had a dismal first round placing 22 but made a comeback at Winton to claim second for the round and a top ten Season finish.
Grant "Grunta" Johnson also made a return after he wrote off his car at Round 1 at Clipsal 500 and placed fourth at Winton and went on to claim second overall in the 2009 Series.