BFGoodrich* Tires At A Glance - Trans-Am Series March 16, Sebring International Raceway, Sebring, Fla. * Trans-Am Season Opens at Sebring - The Trans-Am cars will run a 100-mile race on Friday, the featured support event of the Superflo 12 Hours...
BFGoodrich* Tires At A Glance - Trans-Am Series
March 16, Sebring International Raceway, Sebring, Fla.
* Trans-Am Season Opens at Sebring - The Trans-Am cars will run a 100-mile race on Friday, the featured support event of the Superflo 12 Hours of Sebring weekend. Look for the series opener to set the stage for an exciting, hard-charging season-long shootout featuring a field of world-class super cars, including the Panoz Esperante, Dodge Viper, Corvette, Jaguar, Camaro and Mustang.
* Drivers Begin Quest for BFGoodrich* Tires Cup - The Cup is awarded to the winner of the series Drivers' Championship, which is worth $100,000 this year. If the past is an indicator, victory in the first race is pivotal in taking year-end honors. Paul Gentilozzi and Brian Simo used first-round wins to build championship seasons, in 1999 and 2000, respectively. Both are seeking another crown, but Johnny Miller, Tommy Archer, Boris Said and a number of other contenders won't make it easy for them.
* BFGoodrich Tires Sponsors Take Control Award - Introduced this year, the BFGoodrich* Tires Take Control Award recognizes the driver who leads the most laps in each race. The winner will receive a set of BFGoodrich Traction T/A race tires. If there's a tie, the driver with the highest finish wins.
* BFGoodrich* g-ForceTM T/A* Radials Ready For Sebring Challenge - Here's how Gary Blalock, BFGoodrich Tires lead engineer for the Trans-Am Series, evaluates the 3.7 mile, 17-turn Sebring race course.
"Sebring is a track of extremes, where drivers record some of the fastest and slowest speeds in the series. The cars can reach nearly 175 mph on the Ulmann Straight, while they take the hairpin at about 40 mph. Plus, there are a couple of other corners that really work the tires. One is at the end of the pit straight and the other is turn 3. Both are tight with fast approaches, and the heavy braking that's required is a severe test for the car and the tires. If that's not enough, the myriad of surfaces and the roughness of the track adds to the challenge by causing the grip level to vary throughout the circuit."
"The BFGoodrich* g-ForceTM T/A* radials allow the drivers to race hard throughout the event. In fact, last year a third of the drivers set their fastest race lap during the final few tours around Sebring."
* Sebring Is Part of BFGoodrich Tires Racing Heritage - When BFGoodrich Tires introduced the revolutionary idea of racing radial street tires in 1970, purpose-built bias-ply tires were the standard for competition. To showcase endurance, the T/A radial ran in the 1972 12 Hours of Sebring where it became the first-ever passenger tire to finish an international endurance contest.
"Sebring holds a special place in the history of Trans-Am as the site of that series' first race, and it's equally important in BFGoodrich Tires' racing heritage," said BFGoodrich Tires Director of Motorsports Herb Johnson. "We entered motorsports as a way to prove the performance and durability of radials, and our accomplishments at Sebring were instrumental in the continuing development of our radial technology. Our early successes helped put the BFGoodrich brand at the front of the fledgling performance market."
- Barry Cameron