Boris Said wins Johnson Controls 100 at the Grand Prix of Road America Elkhart Lake, Wis. * Boris Said Claims Fourth Victory of Year at Road America - Boris Said, in his Applied Computer Solutions Panoz Esperante, won today's Johnson Controls...
Boris Said wins Johnson Controls 100 at the Grand Prix of Road America Elkhart Lake, Wis.
* Boris Said Claims Fourth Victory of Year at Road America - Boris Said, in his Applied Computer Solutions Panoz Esperante, won today's Johnson Controls 100 at the Grand Prix of Road America, the eighth race of the Trans-Am Series for the BFGoodrich* Tires Cup. Said took the lead after a second lap crash by the pole-sitter, Kenny Wilden. The crash caused a red flag stopping the race for 25 minutes. Said led the next six laps until all the leaders pitted for fuel thus relinquishing the lead to the drivers who had not pitted. Said was able to regain the lead on lap 12 and never looked back. A late yellow bunched the field, which allowed Paul Gentilozzi and Johnny Miller a chance to chase down Said with three laps remaining. But Said had too much power today and cruised to his seventh career Trans-Am victory and seventh podium finish of the year. Rocketsports teammates, Gentilozzi and Miller finished second and third respectively. Rounding out the top five were Stuart Hayner and Tony Ave.
* Boris Said Extends Lead in the Battle for the BFGoodrich* Tires Cup - With Boris Said's fourth victory of the season and Butch Leitzinger's 21st place finish at Road America, Said increased his lead in the chase for the BFGoodrich* Tires Cup, the season-ending award presented to the Trans-Am Series Driver's Champion. Said currently leads the BFGoodrich* Tires Cup point standings with 231 points, while Paul Gentilozzi is in second with 202 points after passing Leitzinger in the championship. Leitzinger currently stands in third with 189 points, Johnny Miller is in fourth with 177 points and Stu Hayner holds fifth place with 157 points.
* BFGoodrich* Tires "Take Control" Award - In addition to winning the race, Boris Said won the BFGoodrich* Tires "Take Control" Award for leading the most laps in today's race...Said led 20 of the 25 laps. For his efforts, he received a free set of BFGoodrich* g-ForceTM T/A* radials.
* BFGoodrich* Tires Fast Late in Race - The top 14 finishers in today's race, all using BFGoodrich* g-ForceTM T/A* radial tires, recorded their fastest race lap in the final half of the race. "These BFGoodrich* Tires were great again," said today's race winner Boris Said.
* Variety of Marques Present at Road America - The Trans-Am Series for the BFGoodrich* Tires Cup witnessed six different marques competing this weekend at the Johnson Controls 100 at Road America. This was the first time all season that six different marques, which included a Panoz Esperante, Jaguar XKR, Ford Mustang, Pontiac Grand Prix, Chevrolet Corvette and Camaro, have competed in a Trans-Am Series race.
* Trans-Am Televised - Speed Channel will televise the Johnson Controls 100 from Road America on a tape-delayed broadcast on Sunday, August 18 at 12:00 p.m. EDT.
* Trans-Am Series for the BFGoodrich* Tires Cup, Round Nine - The Trans-Am Series for the BFGoodrich* Tires Cup takes a one-week break before heading west to compete at the temporary street circuit of the Grand Prix of Denver. A support race for the CART FedEx Championship Series, the Trans-Am Series will compete with CART for the fourth time this season on Labor Day Weekend.