WHAT: O'Reilly Auto Parts 250 presented by Goodyear Gemini Dealers USAR Hooters ProCup Series Race ...
O'Reilly Auto Parts 250 presented by Goodyear Gemini Dealers
USAR Hooters ProCup Series Race #16 of 30 (Southern Division Race #9)
Fairgrounds Speedway at Nashville -- Nashville, TN
.580-mile, high-banked asphalt oval
Saturday, July 12, 2003 -- 7:00 pm (CDT)
250 Laps/145 Miles
STARTING FIELD: 36 car starting field. 38 cars possible. Fastest 32 cars through time trials. Three provisional positions based on top 30 drivers' position in the Southern Division 2003 points standings. One provisional will be awarded based on top 30 owners' position in the Southern Division 2003 point standings. Provisionals may be added to the field for a former USAR Hooters ProCup Series champion, or a former USAR Hooters ProCup Series Rookie of the Year who competed in 2002.
SPEED, Thursday, July, 17, 2003 (7:00 pm EDT)
SPEED, Friday, July 18, 2003 (Midnight EDT & Noon EDT)
SCHEDULE: <pre> Saturday, July 12, 2003: 11:30 am ProCup Practice Opens 1:30 pm ProCup Practice Ends 2:00 pm ProCup Drivers Meeting 2:15 pm Chapel Service 2:30--4:00 pm Sportsman Practice & Qualifying 4:30 pm Front Gates Open 4:30 pm ProCup Qualifying Time Trials 5:45 pm Autograph Session 6:35 pm Pre-Race Ceremonies 7:00 pm O'Reilly Auto Parts 250 presented by Goodyear Gemini Dealers (250 Laps) To Follow Sportsman Race (30 Laps)
O'Reilly Auto Parts 250 presented by Goodyear Gemini Dealers Notes of Interest:
* This is the first-ever visit to Fairgrounds Speedway for the USAR Hooters ProCup Series.
* Jason Sarvis became the first Southern Division driver in 2003 to win a Hooters ProCup Series race driving a Chevrolet.
* Shane Huffman enters this weekend's race with a comfortable 184-point lead in the standings over Steven Christian.
* Sarvis used his win at Southern National Speedway two weeks ago to jump up five spots to fifth in the regular season point standings in the Southern Division. Although he missed the first race of the season, Sarvis sits just 221 points out of first-place with five races remaining in the regular season.
* Huffman has led a total of 658 laps this season to easily outdistance his nearest challenger Clay Rogers who has led 263 laps in competition.
* Huffman also enters as the leading money winner so far in 2003 with $53,900 in winnings thanks in larger part to his three wins so far in 2003.
* Benny Gordon enters this weekend looking to continue his impressive streak of top-10 finishes. The South Carolina driver has finished in the top-10 in all five of his starts this season dating back to his first race at Ace Speedway in April.
* There have been six different winners in eight Southern Division races this season. Huffman is the only multiple winner with three wins.
* There have been 11 different winners in 15 races combined over both divisions so far in 2003. The previous record in the USAR Hooters ProCup Series for different winners in a season is 13 set back in 2001.
USAR to Visit Music City USA
United Speed Alliance Racing will make its first visit to Fairgrounds Speedway at Nashville on July 12 for the running of O'Reilly Auto Parts 250 presented by Goodyear Gemini Dealers Hooters ProCup Series race. This will be the first time the Series has visited the historic track located on the fairgrounds near Nashville.
The race will the ninth of 13 regular season races in the Southern Division and could be a deciding factor on which driver will enter the Championship Series as the top seed from the division. Among the drivers expected to enter the race and excited about visiting the track is veteran Jay Fogleman.
Fogleman, who competes in the Northern Division full-time, will cross-over to compete in this race and is happy he has the opportunity to race at Fairgrounds Speedway.
"When I found out this was one of the races Lucas Oil Products wanted me to compete in this year our entire team was excited," said Fogleman. "I have practiced there and qualified but never raced because we got rained out that day. I think the drivers will like the track."
Fogleman, who is competing in the Northern Division for the second straight year, feels his experience on some of the northern tracks will help him prepare for the fairgrounds.
"I would compare the track to a high-banked and bigger Southern National Speedway," said Fogleman. "It is a good race track and I think the ProCup cars will be able to put on a great show for the fans. In fact I think some of us northern guys might have a head start on how to get around the track after running places like Winchester and Salem."
The O'Reilly Auto Parts 250 presented by Goodyear Gemini Dealers will also feature the USAR Hooters ProCup Series Southern Division drivers. Shane Huffman currently leads Steven Christian and Joe Gaita in the standings.