MYRTLE BEACH, SC -- Ever since United Speed Alliance Racing moved its corporate headquarters to Myrtle Beach, SC last winter, one of the many benefits from moving the headquarters in being near one of its hosts tracks. The Hooters ...
MYRTLE BEACH, SC -- Ever since United Speed Alliance Racing moved its corporate headquarters to Myrtle Beach, SC last winter, one of the many benefits from moving the headquarters in being near one of its hosts tracks.
The Hooters ProCup Series returns to Myrtle Beach Speedway for the first of two races this season with the Bryant Heating & Cooling 250 presented by Black's Tire Service. The annual spring race draws one of the largest crowds of the year to the historic one-half mile track located along the popular Grand Strand of South Carolina.
If last spring's race at the track is any indication of things to come, then the grandstands will be standing room only. Last year in the spring race Bobby Gill held off a hard-charging Jason Sarvis and Joe Gaita for a three-wide finish at the start-finish line.
The year's race will feature five former winners of USAR Hooters ProCup Series events at the track. Michael Ritch won back-to-back races in 1998 with Mario Gosselin and Mardy Lindley collecting wins in 1999 and 2000, respectively. Gill won this event last year and Sarvis used his strong performance in the Championship Series race last fall to propel him to the 2002 USAR Hooters ProCup Series National Championship.
"Myrtle Beach is a place we definitely want to win at every time we go there," said Sarvis. "Being from Myrtle Beach and our team so close from there as well, we all want to perform well every time we go there. Hopefully we can put the Black's Tire Service Chevrolet back to victory lane.
One driver Sarvis beat back to the line last fall was Steven Christian. This year Christian has joined Sarvis as a teammate at RBR Enterprises as the driver of the Lucas Oil Chevrolet. Christian finished second last fall.
Joe Gaita almost collected his first career win in the spring race last year at Myrtle Beach in the three-wide finish at the line with Sarvis and Gill. Gaita, who won his first career USAR Hooters ProCup Series race earlier this year at USA International Speedway, is excited to be going back to Myrtle Beach.
"We have ran well both times we have raced at Myrtle Beach," Gaita said. "I can't wait to get back there and see if we can move up a couple of positions."
The Bryant Heating and Cooling 250 presented by Black's Tire Service will also feature a charity golf tournament on Friday. For more information on the Boys and Girls Home Charity Golf Tournament please contact John Malpass at (704) 642-4123 ext. 240. This will be the third consecutive year for the Friday charity event hosted in conjunction with the race.
2003 USAR Hooters ProCup Series race Facts
WHAT: Bryant Heating and Cooling 250 presented by Black's Tire Service
USAR Hooters ProCup Series Race #12 of 30 (Southern Division Race #7)
WHERE: Myrtle Beach Speedway -- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
.538-mile, slightly-banked asphalt oval
WHEN: Saturday, June 14, 2003
DISTANCE: 250 Laps/135 Miles
SPEED, Thursday, June, 19, 2003 (7:00 pm EDT)
SPEED, Friday, June 20, 2003 (Midnight EDT & Noon EDT)
Saturday, June 14, 2003: 12:00 Noon ProCup Practice Opens 2:00 pm ProCup Practice Ends 2:30 pm ProCup Drivers Meeting 2:45 pm Chapel Service 3:00 pm Front Gates Open 3:00 -- 4:30 pm Allison Legacy Series Practice & Qualifying 5:00 pm ProCup Qualifying Time Trials 6:15 pm Autograph Session 7:05 pm Pre-Race Ceremonies 7:30 pm Bryant Heating and Cooling 250 presented by Black's Tire Service (250 Laps) To Follow Allison Legacy Series (50 Laps)
Notes of Interest:
* Bobby Gill is the defending champion of last year's spring race.
* Jason Sarvis won last year's Mark Brooks Memorial 250 Championship Series race in October.
* This will be the third consecutive season the USAR Hooters ProCup Series has held a spring race and a fall race at Myrtle Beach Speedway.
* Gill, Sarvis, Mardy Lindley, Mario Gosselin and Michael Ritch are all former winners at Myrtle Beach Speedway currently competing in the Southern Division of the USAR Hooters ProCup Series in 2003.
* Current Southern Division points leader Shane Huffman finished 8th in last spring's race at Myrtle Beach Speedway.
* Sarvis finished 2nd to Gill last spring at Myrtle Beach with Joe Gaita making it a three-way dash to the finish line going almost three-wide down the front stretch.
* The Bryant Heating & Cooling 250 presented by Black's Tire Service will be the third consecutive year Grand Strand Tire Dealer Black's Tire Service has promoted the spring race at Myrtle Beach Speedway.