FORT WORTH-DALLAS (July 15, 2004) -- The Merino family stole the headlines as the Thursday Night Stampede auto racing series reached the mid-season point at Lil' Texas Motor Speedway. Father Robert won his third Legends Masters feature of the ...
FORT WORTH-DALLAS (July 15, 2004) -- The Merino family stole the headlines as the Thursday Night Stampede auto racing series reached the mid-season point at Lil' Texas Motor Speedway. Father Robert won his third Legends Masters feature of the Stampede campaign while son Scott nipped brother Mark to claim the Legends Pro division main event.
Mark Webb remained perfect in Bandolero Bandits Stampede features by claiming his fourth straight event while Chris Buescher broke Jordan Webb's three-race win streak in the Bandolero Young Guns. John Gottsacker earned his third Legends Semi-Pro Stampede triumph while Randy Miles collected his initial 2004 Stampede Thunder Roadster feature win.
Former Stampede champion Robert Merino held off Evans Shaw, Rick Howle and Don Barnard to win the Legends Masters main in a nose-to-tail finish.
The Merino brothers were benefactors of a tangle between pacesetters Jared Whitton and Gene Conley late in the Legends Pro main. Scott Merino held off Mark in a two-lap dash to the finish line. Don Johle finished third.
Mark Webb and Justin Long battled through the Bandolero Young Guns feature until the pair made contact late in the race and Long spun. Nathan Wilson finished second. Buescher led all 15 laps of the Bandolero Bandits race to win over a fast-closing Jordan Webb.
Former Bandolero drivers claimed the top five positions in the Legends Semi-Pro headliner. Gottsacker moved from the third row to grab the lead on lap four from Hoyt Richter who finished second. Miles held off national Thunder Roadster point leader Buddy Goudy and Ashlee Jackson for his first 2004 win.
Two spectators will get the opportunity to drive a Legends Car or Bandolero during intermission of this week's Thursday Night Stampede. The first race will get the green flag at 7:30 p.m. Adult admission is just $5 with kids 10 and under free.
1. Robert Merino, 2. Evans Shaw, 3. Rick Howle, 4. Don Barnard, 5. Mike Reid, 6. Don Brown, 7. Jay Turner, 8. Max Luce, 9. Johnny Britton, 10. Richard Hipple, 11. Jim Ellingson, 12. Ray Schlag.
1. Scott Merino, 2. Mark Merino, 3. Don Johle, 4. Sabrina Kersey, 5. Robert Richardson, 6. Michael Dabney, 7. Jared Whitton, 8. Gene Conley.
1. John Gottsacker, 2. Hoyt Richter, 3. James Buescher, 4. Kevin Trammell, 5. Dean Abbey, 6. Chris Ryan, 7. J Alston, 8. Jack Merino, 9. Harold Smith.
1. Christopher Buescher, 2. Jordan Webb, 3. Steven Abbey, 4. Taylor McNeil.
BANDOLERO YOUNG GUNS
1. Mark Webb, 2. Nathan Wilson, 3. Kyle Curry, 4. Justin Long.
1. Randy Miles, 2. Buddy Goudy, 3. Ashlee Jackson, 4. Tim McDonald, 5. Mike Carter.