Fredrickson Takes Minnesota Governor's Cup at I-94 Raceway Completes Yellow Book USA MARS Weekend Sweep SAUK CENTRE, MN (July 24, 2004) - Dan Fredrickson has been so close to winning several times this season at the I-94 Raceway and ...
Fredrickson Takes Minnesota Governor's Cup at I-94 Raceway
Completes Yellow Book USA MARS Weekend Sweep
SAUK CENTRE, MN (July 24, 2004) - Dan Fredrickson has been so close to winning several times this season at the I-94 Raceway and his breakthrough race came on one of the biggest events of the season as he won the Yellow Book USA Midwest Allstar Racing Series (MARS) Minnesota Governor's Cup at the I-94 Raceway in Sauk Centre. Things started off with a bang as Dexter Bean and Blake Bjorklund got together as the field darted into turn one. Bean's car suffered terminal damage, putting him out before the completion of lap one. When the race restarted, Polesitter Benny VanCleve took control. Dean Cornelius turned up the heat and on lap four, he made the pass in turn four to take over the lead. Jeff VanOudenhoven followed Cornelius and soon he was looking to take the lead. The leaders raced wheel-to-wheel for several laps, before VanOudenhoven pulled ahead on lap 11. Fast Qualifier Fredrickson started fourteenth on the grid due to the mandatory series inversion, but Fredrickson proved to be just as fast in the race and by lap 10, he was in the fourth spot and closing on the leaders.
Defending race winner VanOudenhoven continued to set a quick pace, as Fredrickson crept ever closer. On lap 19, Fredrickson slipped past Cornelius and then zeroed in on the top spot. A short battle for the lead ensued and on lap 22, Fredrickson took over the lead despite losing his power steering. A long green flag run put several cars a lap or more down as the front runners kept things moving at a torrid pace. Just past the halfway point, VanOudenhoven used the traffic to pull up right behind Fredrickson as he sought to retake the lead. Fredrickson wouldn't allow much more than that as he continued his strong run. The second and final caution flew on lap 76, for debris in turn one. This tightened up the field allowing third running Adam Royle and fourth running Bjorklund to tag up right behind the leaders. Fredrickson controlled the restart as Bjorklund quickly got around Royle and VanOudenhoven. With 10 laps left, Bjorklund pulled alongside Fredrickson for lead. Somehow, Fredrickson maintained the spot as he wrestled his car away from his challenger. Bjorklund stayed close the rest of the way as Fredrickson completed the final couple of laps to score the win with Bjorklund right on his bumper.
John Notch showed his stuff once again as he won the Modified Feature. Matt Anderson used the pole to his advantage as he took the lead. Jerry Voigt turned things up as he took over the lead around mid-race. Eighth starting Notch meticulously worked his way towards the front and with seven laps left, he took over the lead. Kevin Woeste gave Notch a serious run for the money in the final few laps as he pulled up behind the leader, but that would be as close as he would get as Notch cruised on to take the win.
Rob Thurston has won several dozen races in his career, but this one he later admitted was one of the strangest ever as he came out on top in the Great North Legends Feature. Zack Davids took the lead as Tim Brockhouse got crossed up on the opening lap and spun without bringing out a caution. Brockhouse fell in at the tail of the field next to Thurston, who started 17th. Back out front, Davids raced hard with Jason Brockhouse for the lead. Jason took the spot on lap four as Davids stayed close. Gary Oie's slowed car brought out a late race yellow, which allowed Davids to get a good start and retake the lead. Jason pulled alongside with one lap to go. Right behind them were Thurston and Tim Brockhouse, who had both hustled through the entire field. The front pair made contact on the backstretch, sending Davids onto the wall, shearing off a wheel. Jason Brockhouse spun in turn three, collecting ,his dad, Tim Brockhouse and Dirk Henry. Thurston somehow dodged the melee and finished off the last quarter of a lap to take home the win.
Ace Valencour put on another exciting show as he won the Thunder Car Feature. Matt Miller tore off into the lead from the start. Third starting Valencour quickly joined the fold as he zipped into the second slot. With four laps to go, Valencour made his move and took the lead coming out of turn four. Miller dropped back a couple of car lengths in the final lap as Valencour flew to the win.
Andy "Hot Rod" Heying turned in a super run as he came away the big winner in the UCAR Feature. Adam Fronning took the lead from the start, but a early race incident slowed the action when Cory Flynn pounded the wall just outside of turn two. When the action picked back up again, Fronning showed the way, with Heying right behind. With 10 laps to go, Heying worked his way past and sped on the rest of the way to take the win. A straightaway back, Dan Bolstad held off Jeremy Fleck for second.
I-94 Raceway Results July 24, 2004
Yellow Book USA MARS Late Models
1. Bill Rode (Hudson, WI) 2. Gary Mueller (Chisago City) 3. Kirby Kurth (Wisconsin Rapids, WI) 4. Benny VanCleve (Prior Lake) 5. Dexter Bean (Westby, WI) 6. DJ Dondelinger (Brainerd) 7. Dean Cornelius (Bloomington) 8. Jeff VanOudenhoven (Kimberly, WI) 9. Ryan Manthei (Green Bay, WI)
1. Tim Olson (Hamel) 2. Chris Grimes (Green Bay, WI) 3. Dan Fredrickson (Elko) 4. Stacy Rossell (Atwater) 5. Trent Snyder (Ironton) 6. Blake Bjorklund (Isanti) 7. Todd Hansen (Minneapolis) 8. Andy Hanson (Ramsey) 9. Adam Royle (Farmington)
Last Chance Qualifier
1. Joe Berthiaume (Hamel) 2. Ritch Johnson (Monticello) 3. Gordy Swanson (AppleValley) 4. Molly Rhoads (Hastings) 5. Paul Milford (Apple Valley) 6. Jeff Lofquist (Fergus Falls) 7. Tim Dehaan (Pine City) 8. Jon Olson (Hamel)-DNF 9. Rob Dubnecay (Maple Grove)-DNS
1. Dan Fredrickson (16.81 sec.) 2. Blake Bjorklund (16.84 sec.) 3. Andy Hanson (16.87 sec.) 4. Trent Snyder (16.91 sec.) 5. Adam Royle (16.97 sec.) 6. Todd Hansen (17.00 sec.)
100 Lap Feature (Number of laps completed)
1. Dan Fredrickson (100) 2. Blake Bjorklund (100) 3. Jeff VanOudenhoven (100) 4. Adam Royle (100) 5. Tim Olson (100) 6. Dean Cornelius (100) 7. Andy Hanson (100) 8. Chris Grimes (99) 9. Bill Rode (99) 10. Ryan Manthei (99) 11. Gary Mueller (99) 12. Benny VanCleve (99) 13. Trent Snyder (98) 14. Kirby Kurth (97) 15. Molly Rhoads (92) 16. Ritch Johnson-DNF (90) 17. Joe Berthiaume-DNF (46) 18. Todd Hansen-DNF (37) 19. Gordy Swanson-DNF (32) 20. DJ Dondelinger-DNF (31) 21. Stacy Rossell-DNF (22) 22. Dexter Bean-DNF (0)
Time of Race: 40 minutes
Caution Flags: lap 1 (spin); lap 76 (debris)
Lap Leaders: Benny VanCleve 1-3, Dean Cornelius 4-10, Jeff VanOudenhoven 11-21, Dan
Total Laps Led: Dan Fredrickson 79, Jeff VanOudenhoven 11, Dean Cornelius 7, Benny VanCleve 3
3 lead changes involving 4 drivers
1. Dave Ostendorf (St. Cloud) 2. Tony Grams (Zimmerman) 3. Kevin Woeste (Waite Park) 4. Terry Merten (Sauk Centre) 5. Matt Anderson (Atwater) 6. Brady Barker (Grove City) 7. Dave Deters (Sauk Centre)-DNS 8. Joe Berthiaume (Hamel)-DNS
1. John Notch (St. Cloud) 2. Jon Lewerer (Coon Rapids) 3. Jerry Voigt (Cold Spring) 4. Joey Johnson (Alexandria) 5. John Gottwald (Paynesville) 6. Pat Henry (Sauk Centre) 7. Jeff Rohner (Willmar)-DNF 8. John Paul Odegaard (Brooklyn Center)-DQ
1. John Notch 2. Kevin Woeste 3. Jerry Voigt 4. Jon Lewerer 5. Brady Barker 6. John Gottwald 7. Joey Johnson 8. Tony Grams 9. John Paul Odegaard 10. Dave Ostendorf 11. Terry Merten 12. Matt Anderson 13. Pat Henry 14. Dave Deters-DNF 15. Jeff Rohner-DNF 16. Joe Berthiaume-DNS
Great North Legends
1. Tim Brockhouse (Shorewood) 2. Todd Tracy (Belle Plaine) 3. Stan Davis (Maple Grove) 4. Charlie Balderston (Freeport) 5. Paul Hartman (Willmar) 6. Robbie Carter (Prior Lake)
1. Jason Brockhouse (Prior Lake) 2. Rob Thurston (Olivia) 3. Matt Hendrickson (Albany) 4. Doug Petty (Oak Grove) 5. Nick Binsfeld (St. Cloud) 6. Cam Schafer (Glenwood)
1. Dirk Henry (Sauk Centre) 2. Zack Davids (Apple Valley) 3. Ray Walker (Kimball) 4. Ross Zumbach (Racine) 5. Rollie Davidson (Burnsville) 6. Gary Oie (St. Paul)
1. Tim Brockhouse (18.97 sec.) 2. Dirk Henry (19.04 sec.) 3. Jason Brockhouse (19.25 sec.) 4. Todd Tracy (19.45 sec.) 5. Zack Davids (19.46 sec.) 6. Matt Hendrickson (19.47 sec.)
1. Rob Thurston 2. Stan Davis 3. Ray Walker 4. Doug Petty 5. Cam Schafer 6. Matt Hendrickson 7. Charlie Balderston 8. Nick Binsfeld 9. Rollie Davidson 10. Ross Zumbach 11. Robbie Carter 12. Zack Davids-DNF 13. Tim Brockhouse-DNF 14. Dirk Henry-DNF 15. Jason Brockhouse-DNF 16. Gary Oie-DNF 17. Paul Hartman-DNF 18. Todd Tracy-DNF
1. Jerry Messer (Sauk Centre) 2. Ace Valencour (Sauk Centre) 3. Matt Miller (Glenwood) 4. Patrick Amelung (St. Joseph) 5. Matt Hoeschen (Sauk Centre) 6. Doug Olmscheid (Elrosa) 7. Joe Karl (Osakis)
1. Jarmin Henry (Sauk Centre) 2. Daryl Harth (Glenwood) 3. Tim Wojtowicz (Minneapolis) 4. Jonathan Olmscheid (Elrosa) 5. Lance Stueve (Greenwold) 6. Dan Bergstrom (Champlin) 7. AJ Odegaard (Brooklyn Center)
1. Ace Valencour 2. Matt Miller 3. Jarmin Henry 4. Jerry Messer 5. Patrick Amelung 6. Tim Wojtowicz 7. Matt Hoeschen 8. Doug Olmscheid 9. Daryl Harth 10. Lance Stueve 11. Jonathan Olmscheid 12. Dan Bergstrom 13. AJ Odegaard 14. Joe Karl-DNF
1. David Bolstad (Fergus Falls) 2. Jeremy Fleck (Sauk Rapids) 3. Dan Bolstad (Fergus Falls) 4. Matt Peterson (Burtrum) 5. Scott Petty (Elk River)-DNF 6. Mike Meagher (Grey Eagle)-DNF 7. Andy Mayavski (St. Cloud)-DNF
1. Cory Flynn (Alexandria) 2. Andy Heying (St. Cloud) 3. Adam Fronning (Dalton) 4. Carrie McDougall (Monticello) 5. Alan Thompson (Waite Park) 6. Troy Nelson (Alexandria) 7. Josh Christi (Sauk Rapids)
1. Andy Heying 2. Dan Bolstad 3. Jeremy Fleck 4. Adam Fronning 5. David Bolstad 6. Mike Meagher 7. Alan Thompson 8. Matt Peterson 9. Carrie McDougall 10. Andy Mayavski 11. Troy Nelson 12. Josh Christi 13. Cory Flynn-DNF 14. Scott Petty-DNF