Lease Wins Legends Qualifier At I-94 Raceway SAUK CENTRE, MN (June 18, 2005) - Cal Lease put himself back in Victory Lane as he won the Great North Legends National Qualifying race at the I-94 Raceway in Sauk Centre. After two attempts to start...
Lease Wins Legends Qualifier At I-94 Raceway
SAUK CENTRE, MN (June 18, 2005) - Cal Lease put himself back in Victory Lane as he won the Great North Legends National Qualifying race at the I-94 Raceway in Sauk Centre. After two attempts to start the race failed due to minor incidents, Dirk Henry took the lead from outside the front row. Fourth starting Lease fell in right behind as the 24 car field set a quick pace. Lease wasted no time in the 30 lap race, staying glued to Henry, before taking the lead at the line on lap five. Henry kept close, while Tim Brockhouse joined the front pair, making it a three car train at the front of the field. Lease continued to show the way as lapped traffic came into play late in the race. Brockhouse would make it by Henry, but Lease was the class of the field as he maneuvered flawlessly the rest of the way to take the win. Lease took the top Pro Division spot and the guaranteed starting spot in the Legends Nationals to be held later this year in Pennsylvania. Brockhouse was the highest finishing driver in the Masters Division, while eighth finishing Scott Petty was the highest Semi-Pro driver. Both drivers also received guaranteed starting spots as well.
Nate Thiesse was declared the winner in the ASA Super Late Model Feature. Rob Dubnecay took the lead from the pole and broke away from Jon Olson in the early going. Joe Berthiaume picked up the pace and on lap 13, he took over the lead. Bob White took his car to second as he got past Dubnecay, bringing Thiesse along as well. With ten laps to go, White and the lapped car of Tim Dehaan got together in turn three, with Dehaan ending up bouncing off the wall. When racing resumed, Berthiaume continued to hold onto the top spot as White and Thiesse fought it out. Berthiaume finished off the race with White and Thiesse not too far behind. Following the race, Berthiaume and White failed to pass the mandatory inspection, moving Thiesse up to take the win.
Kevin Woeste gave his Father's Day present a day early as he dedicated his win in the Modified Feature to his Dad. Jerry Voigt grabbed the lead from the start as he took the lead from his second starting position. Jeff Rohner challenged for a handful of laps before John Notch took the second spot. Four laps later, Notch moved past Voigt for the lead. Woeste slowly worked his way towards the front and soon was right behind Notch. The lead ran side-by-side for several laps, before Woeste took the lead with four to go. Notch moved to the low side of the track and pulled alongside with one lap left, but that was as far as he would get as Woeste held on for the win.
Patrick Amelung climbed atop of his car to celebrate, following his dominant race in the Thunder Car Feature. Starting outside the front row, Amelung pulled into the lead from the start. Third starting Lee McDougall followed along in second, with LB Berthiaume in third. Berthiaume's race ended on lap 12, when he lost a wheel in turn two. On the restart, Amelung continued to show the way with McDougall, Lance Stueve and Jason Schroepfer close by. Amelung finished off the remaining laps to take the win. McDougall and Schroepfer turned in career bests in the next two spots.
Kurt Peterson made history as he became the first driver in a truck to win a UCAR Feature. Billy Weyer put his truck in the lead from the start, but it was a short stay as Peterson moved by on lap two. Peterson quickly pulled away to as much as a full straightaway lead at one point. The race for second became heated between Mike Meagher, Corey Flynn, Andy Mayavski and David Bolstad. After running three-wide for a while, Bolstad broke through with the second position. The final few laps saw Peterson's once comfortable lead dwindle away as Bolstad closed in. However, Peterson wasn't about to let this race get away as he charged to the finish to take his first career win. Following the race, Peterson had an emotional celebration in Victory Lane with his brother Matt, who dropped out of the race before the first lap and his Dad, Dean.
I-94 Raceway Results
June 18, 2005
ASA Super Late Models
1. Eugene Dick (Watkins) 2. JR Studniski (St. Joseph) 3. Jeff Lofquist (Fergus Falls) 4. Rob Dubnecay (Maple Grove) 5. Jon Olson (Hamel) 6. Matt Gottwald (Willmar)
1. Jake Jay (Lindstrom) 2. Ritch Johnson (Monticello) 3. Darin Nelson (Isanti) 4. Tim Dehaan (Pine City) 5. Steve Lamke (Ellsworth, WI) 6. Danny Edenloff (Alexandria)-DNF
1. Bob White (Spring Lake Park) 2. Tim Olson (Hamel) 3. John Notch (St. Cloud) 4. Joe Berthiaume (Rogers) 5. Nate Thiesse (Brainerd) 6. Andy Hanson (Ramsey)
1. Andy Hanson (17.002 sec.) 2. Nate Thiesse (17.147 sec.) 3. Joe Berthiaume (17.177 sec.) 4. Tim Olson (17.220 sec.) 5. Bob White (17.244 sec.) 6. John Notch (17.263 sec.)
1. Nate Thiesse 2. Tim Olson 3. Andy Hanson 4. JR Studniski 5. Eugene Dick 6. Rob Dubnecay 7. Ritch Johnson 8. Jon Olson 9. Matt Gottwald 10. Darin Nelson 11. Jeff Lofquist 12. Tim Dehaan-DNF 13. Danny Edenloff-DNF 14. Steve Lamke-DNF 15. John Notch-DNF 16. Joe Berthiaume-DQ 17. Bob White-DQ
1. John Notch (St. Cloud) 2. Jeff Rohner (Willmar) 3. Jerry Voigt (Cold Spring) 4. Tony Robertson (Darwin) 5. Rich Snyder (Alexandria) 6. Dave Ostendorf (St. Cloud)
1. John Gottwald (Paynesville) 2. Jeremy Fleck (Sauk Rapids) 3. Corey Flynn (Alexandria) 4. Kevin Woeste (Waite Park) 5. Joey Johnson (Alexandria) 6. Jonathan Olmschied (Elrosa)-DNS
1. Kevin Woeste 2. John Notch 3. Jerry Voigt 4. Rich Snyder 5. Jeff Rohner 6. Joey Johnson 7. Tony Robertson 8. Jeremy Fleck 9. Corey Flynn 10. John Gottwald 11. Jonathan Olmscheid 12. Dave Ostendorf
Great North Legends
1. Zac Davids (Apple Valley) 2. Cal Lease (Little Falls) 3. Rick Dubay (Coon Rapids) 4. Jaycen Brockhouse (Shorewood) 5. Mike Turbes (North Mankato) 6. Chad Flynn (Alexandria) 7. Doug Petty (Oak Grove) 8. Tyler Sjoman (Alexandria) 9. Jake Varnum (Morris) 10. Ryan Johnson (Eagan)
1. Tommy Jordan (Hartsville, SC) 2. Jon Lewerer (Coon Rapids) 3. Paul Hartman (Willmar) 4. Bruce Allen (Chanhassen) 5. Ross Zumbach (Racine) 6. Charlie Balderston (Freeport) 7. Jeff Ryan (Grand Forks, ND) 8. Rollie Davidson (Eagan)-DNF 9. Tim Brockhouse (Shorewood)-DNF
1. Dirk Henry (Sauk Centre) 2. Beaner Wiese (Sauk Centre) 3. Stan Davis (Maple Grove) 4. Scott Petty (Elk River) 5. Robbie Carter (Prior Lake) 6. Matt Hendrickson (Albany) 7. Gary Oie (St. Paul) 8. Patrick Brejcha (Alexandria) 9. Joe Kostreba (Sauk Centre)
Last Chance Qualifier
1. Jake Varnum 2. Joe Kostreba 3. Mike Turbes 4. Rick Dubay 5. Rollie Davidson 6. Ryan Johnson 7. Patrick Brejcha 8. Jeff Ryan 9. Gary Oie 10. Charlie Balderston
1. Zac Davids (19.132 sec.) 2. Dirk Henry (19.134 sec.) 3. Tim Brockhouse (19.171 sec.) 4. Jaycen Brockhouse (19.185 sec.) 5. Matt Hendrickson (19.214 sec.) 6. Bruce Allen (19.312 sec.)
30 Lap National Qualifying Feature
1. Cal Lease 2. Tim Brockhouse 3. Dirk Henry 4. Zac Davids 5. Jaycen Brockhouse 6. Jon Lewerer 7. Tommy Jordan 8. Scott Petty 9. Stan Davis 10. Bruce Allen 11. Jeremy Wiese 12. Paul Hartman 13. Chad Flynn 14. Rick Dubay 15. Ryan Johnson 16. Mike Turbes 17. Robbie Carter 18. Doug Petty 19. Jake Varnum 20. Ross Zumbach 21. Rollie Davidson 22. Joe Kostreba 23. Tyler Sjoman 24. Matt Hendrickson-DNF
1. LB Berthiaume (Rogers) 2. Matt Miller (Glenwood) 3. Lance Stueve (Greenwald) 4. Jason Schroepfer (Comfry) 5. Jim Larkin (Monticello) 6. Doug Olmscheid (Padua) 7. Matt Hoeschen (Sauk Centre) 8. Justin Wolbeck (Sauk Centre)
1. Jerry Messer (Sauk Centre) 2. Lee McDougall (Monticello) 3. Patrick Amelung (St. Joseph) 4. Nick Panitzke (Sauk Centre) 5. Jarmin Henry (Sauk Centre) 6. Pat Henry (Sauk Centre) 7. Joe Karl (Osakis)
1. Patrick Amelung 2. Lee McDougall 3. Jason Schroepfer 4. Lance Stueve 5. Jerry Messer 6. Nick Panitzke 7. Jim Larkin 8. Matt Miller 9. Matt Hoeschen 10. Jarmin Henry 11. Pat Henry 12. Doug Olmscheid 13. Justin Wolbeck 14. Joe Karl 15. LB Berthiaume-DNF
1. Josh Christy (Sauk Rapids) 2. Doug Fick (Fergus Falls) 3. Marc Rosenow (Grey Eagle) 4. Dan Bolstad (Fergus Falls) 5. Corey Flynn (Alexandria) 6. Billy Weyer (Sartell) 7. Adam Fronning (Dalton) 8. Alan Thompson (Waite Park) 9. Jim Eblen (St. Cloud)
1. Andy Mayavski (St. Cloud) 2. David Bolstad (Fergus Falls) 3. Kurt Peterson (Upsala) 4. Mike Meager (Burtrum) 5. Chad Burke (Alexandria) 6. John Herrly (Carlos) 7. Chris Henry (Sauk Centre) 8. Tony Hallerman (Sauk Centre)-DNF 9. Craig Maack (Pelican Rapids)-DNF 10. Matt Peterson (Upsala)-DNS
1. Kurt Peterson 2. David Bolstad 3. Corey Flynn 4. Andy Mayavski 5. Marc Rosenow 6. Dan Bolstad 7. Josh Christy 8. Mike Meagher 9. Billy Weyer 10. Doug Fick 11. Craig Maack 12. Alan Thompson 13. John Herrly 14. Adam Fronning 15. Tony Hallerman 16. Chris Henry 17. Jim Eblen 18. Chad Burke 19. Matt Peterson-DNS