Fredrickson Wins Yellow Book USA MARS Late Model Race At Fergus Falls Raceway FERGUS FALLS, MN (July 23, 2004) - Veteran driver Dan Fredrickson out-dueled teenager Blake Bjorklund in the closing laps to win the 100 lap Yellow Book USA Midwest...
Fredrickson Wins Yellow Book USA MARS Late Model Race At Fergus Falls Raceway
FERGUS FALLS, MN (July 23, 2004) - Veteran driver Dan Fredrickson out-dueled teenager Blake Bjorklund in the closing laps to win the 100 lap Yellow Book USA Midwest Allstar Racing Series Late Model event at Fergus Falls Raceway. In qualifying, five drivers met or broke the track record, with fifteen-year-old Andy Hanson establishing the new record of 16.36 seconds. An all-time high of 25 Late Models attempted to make the 20 car starting field. Polesitter Kirby Kurth got things rolling as he held of Gary Mueller in the opening laps. Tenth starting Fredrickson was the driver on the move as he moved to fourth behind Todd Hansen. On lap eight, Fredrickson went outside of Hansen and then went inside of Mueller as he took second. Kurth held on as Fredrickson turned up the pressure and on lap 12, Fredrickson took over the lead, just before the first caution of the race flew for Joe Berthiaume's spin in turn four.
On the restart, Fredrickson quickly took things under control, but the yellow waved just a couple of laps later when Clay Montella and Ryan Manthei got crossed up at the end of the backstretch. A long green flag run let Fredrickson build up a full straightaway lead, only to see it wiped away, when Todd Hansen crashed hard into the turn one wall. The restart saw Bjorklund, now in second and the top two cars quickly broke away from the rest of the field. No more than two car lengths separated the front pair in the final half of the race as lapped traffic yielded way to the speedy front runners. With five laps left, a pair of cautions slowed the action and gave third running Jeff VanOudenhoven a look at the leaders, that's as close as he would get however as the final couple of laps saw Fredrickson hold off Bjorklund to take the first ever MARS Late Model race at Fergus Falls Raceway.
Last week Joey Johnson had a strong second-place run, only to see his engine blow just as he crossed the finish line. This time out, Johnson blew away the competition as he recorded his first career Modified Feature win. Duane Werner slid into the lead from the start, but on the backstretch, he and Oren Hoeper made contact. Hoeper got the front end of his car airborne and Werner suffered rear-end damage, dropping both out, before one lap was in the books. Dave Ostendorf took the restart as Johnson turned up the heat right behind. A good run out of turn two, gave the lead to Johnson with six laps remaining. Johnson quickly stepped away as he went on to grab his first win in convincing fashion, by taking the checkered flag by a half of a straightaway over Ostendorf.
Tim Brockhouse's car has been handling just right as of late and that streak continued as he won the Great North Legends Feature. Dirk Henry emerged out front of a three-wide battle for the lead. Brockhouse moved to second and on lap four, he took over the lead. "The Iceman" Scott Brandt, driving Doug Petty's car, turned things up late in the race to take second. Brockhouse proved to be the class of the field however, as he extended his lead late in the race to put a lock on the win.
Tom Weinhandl was declared the winner in the Thunder Car Feature. Mark Milbeck dominated the entire race extending his lead to nearly a half of a lap ahead of everyone else as he appeared to be the runaway winner. Following the race, Milbeck failed to pass the post-race technical inspection. That boosted second finishing Weinhandl to take the winner's accolades.
Josh Whipple led all the way as he won the UCAR Feature. Starting upfront, Whipple quickly took command of the race. Adam Fronning latched on and chased Whipple the entire run, but couldn't mount a serious bid to overtake him. The top two set a blistering pace as they broke away from third finishing Cory Flynn. Whipple crossed the line first to take the win as Fronning stayed glued to his bumper for a second place run.
Yellow Book USA MARS Late Models
1. Jeff Lofquist (Fergus Falls) 2. Jake Jay (Harris) 3. Tim Olson (Hamel) 4. Larry Button (Clitherall) 5. Jon Olson (Hamel) 6. Shane Rudrud (Erhard) 7. Benny VanCleve (Prior Lake) 8. Molly Rhoads (Hastings)-DNF
1. Clay Montella (Ottertail) 2. Ryan Manthei (Green Bay, WI) 3. Kirby Kurth (Wisconsin Rapids, WI) 4. Joe Berthiaume (Hamel) 5. Dexter Bean (Westby, WI) 6. Chris Grimes (Green Bay, WI) 7. DJ Dondelinger (Brainerd) 8. Jason Rund (Fergus Falls)-DNF
1. Gary Mueller (Chisago City) 2. Todd Hansen (Minneapolis) 3. Dan Fredrickson (Elko) 4. Adam Royle (Farmington) 5. Jeff VanOudenhoven (Kimberly, WI) 6. Trent Snyder (Ironton) 7. Andy Hanson (Ramsey) 8. Blake Bjorklund (Isanti) 9. Dean Cornelius (Bloomington)
Last Chance Race
1. Clay Montella 2. Jason Rund 3. Benny VanCleve 4. Larry Button 5. Jake Jay 6. Molly Rhoads 7. Jeff Lofquist 8. Jon Olson 9. Shane Rudrud-DNF
1. Andy Hanson (16.36 sec. TRACK RECORD) 2. Dan Fredrickson (16.37 sec.) 3. Trent Snyder (16.42 sec.) 4. Blake Bjorklund (16.42 sec.) 5. Dean Cornelius (16.49 sec.) 6. Todd Hansen (16.56 sec.)
100 Lap Feature
1. Dan Fredrickson 2. Blake Bjorklund 3. Jeff VanOudenhoven 4. Adam Royle 5. Trent Snyder 6. Andy Hanson 7. Dean Cornelius 8. Gary Mueller 9. Kirby Kurth 10. Tim Olson 11. Chris Grimes 12. Benny VanCleve 13. Joe Berthiaume 14. Dexter Bean 15. Todd Hansen-DNF 16. Jason Rund-DNF 17. Larry Button-DNF 18. Ryan Manthei-DNF 19. DJ Dondelinger-DNF 20. Clay Montella-DNF
1. Oren Hoeper (Dalton) 2. Dave Schafer (Glenwood) 3. Joey Johnson (Alexandria) 4. Dave Ostendorf (St. Cloud) 5. Harlan Lysne (Fergus Falls) 6. Duane Werner (Breckenridge) 7. Jeff Berg (Dalton) 8. Dave Deters (Sauk Centre) 9. Joe Berthiaume (Hamel)-DNS
1. Joey Johnson 2. Dave Ostendorf 3. Harlan Lysne 4. Dave Schafer 5. Dave Deters 6. Jeff Berg 7. Duane Werner-DNF 8. Oren Hoeper-DNF 9. Joe Berthiaume-DNS
Great North Legends
1. Tim Brockhouse (Shorewood) 2. Todd Tracy (Belle Plaine) 3. Scott Brandt (Olivia) 4. Jason Brockhouse (Prior Lake) 5. Cam Schafer (Glenwood) 6. Dirk Henry (Sauk Centre) 7. Rollie Davidson (Burnsville) 8. Zack Davids (Apple Valley) 9. Gary Oie (St. Paul)
1. Scott Brandt (19.18 sec.) 2. Tim Brockhouse (19.23 sec.) 3. Jason Brockhouse (19.31 sec.) 4. Dirk Henry (19.44 sec.) 5. Zack Davids (19.57 sec.) 6. Rollie Davidson (19.63 sec.)
1. Tim Brockhouse 2. Scott Brandt 3. Dirk Henry 4. Jason Brockhouse 5. Zack Davids 6. Todd Tracy 7. Rollie Davidson 8. Gary Oie 9. Cam Schafer
1. Kurt Kort (Fergus Falls) 2. Cory Eggen (Fergus Falls) 3. Pat Dillon (Fergus Falls) 4. Shawn Robinson (Fergus Falls) 5. Mark Milbeck (Erhard) 6. Deon Roth (Fergus Falls) 7. Tom Weinhandl (Henning) 8. Steve Devaney (Fergus Falls)-DNF
1. Tom Weinhandl 2. Kurt Kort 3. Cory Eggen 4. Pat Dillon 5. Deon Roth 6. Mark Milbeck 7. Shawn Robinson-DNF 8. Steve Devaney-DNF
1. Dan Bolstad (Fergus Falls) 2. Jay Gronewold (Fergus Falls) 3. Dean Baker (Fergus Falls) 4. Ryan Sampson (Fergus Falls) 5. Craig Maack (Pelican Rapids) 6. Levi Stenerson (Fergus Falls)
1. Cory Flynn (Alexandria) 2. Adam Fronning (Dalton) 3. Josh Whipple (Fergus Falls) 4. David Bolstad (Fergus Falls) 5. Doug Fick (Fergus Falls) 6. Jesse Dreschel (Fergus Falls)
1. Josh Whipple 2. Adam Fronning 3. Cory Flynn 4. David Bolstad 5. Jay Gronewold 6. Doug Fick 7. Craig Maack 8. Jesse Dreschel 9. Levi Stenerson-DNF 10. Ryan Sampson-DNF 11. Dan Bolstad-DNF 12. Dean Baker-DNF