FASCAR race notes, news 2003-11-24

SAMSULA, FLORIDA - FASCAR Sunbelt Super Late Model Series 2003 Champion Wayne Anderson won his second Governors Cup 200, the 38th Cup race, after starting 22nd in a 36 car star-studded field Saturday night at New Smyrna Speedway. Anderson was...

SAMSULA, FLORIDA - FASCAR Sunbelt Super Late Model Series 2003 Champion Wayne Anderson won his second Governors Cup 200, the 38th Cup race, after starting 22nd in a 36 car star-studded field Saturday night at New Smyrna Speedway.

Anderson was also crowned 2003 "Triple Crown" Super Late Model Champion adding another notch to his racing helmet recording his second win in Triple Crown action. Anderson posted Crown wins at Citrus County Speedway and New Smyrna Speedway.

"I'm really excited - I won this race (Governors Cup) in 1999," said Anderson driving the Air Frame International ride. "I grew up going to Golden Gate Speedway and to turn around and come back and have Billy (Bigley) run second to me that's just terrific."

The winning Anderson held the point in lap 124 after pitting in lap 101 and had just too much car for the rest of the starting field holding an eight car lead in lap 191 on the one-half mile high banked track.

There was a concern for the winner, but it ended with no major problems late in the race.

"I'll tell you I didn't want to see that red flag with 20 laps to go, but it was a great night for the fans," Anderson said.

Second place finishing Billy Bigley Jr. in the Peerless Woodworking ride held off a strong late race charge by David Rogers in the TM Ranch car, who posted a strong third place finish.

"I was trying hard to stop Wayne, but he was so good off the corners," said Bigley. "I got a little bit tight and it made the car a little too free off the corners. "There for awhile I didn't know if it was a good thing trying to stalk him so hard, because I looked up and there was nobody behind us."

Rogers pressed Bigley hard for second, but just didn't have enough for the veteran to make a key pass. A caution did deprive Rogers of a shot at second.

"There at the end Wayne had the best car - he drove off and left me and Billy," said Rogers. "I think my car was a little better that Billy's, but not much. "I'm glad there was a big crowd here tonight and a good field of cars."

Rounding out the top five were Jacob Warren in the South 40 Motorsports machine and Michael Williams in another South 40 Motorsports ride.

Jimmy Cope in the Malcolmson Construction car set fast qualifying time during his second lap in 17.970 seconds or 100.17 mph besting a 41-car qualifying field. The 36-car field started straight up.

Cope ran strong opening a 15-car length lead by lap-57 with Rogers, Warren, Aric Almirola and Mike Fritts following.

Showing he had a lot of car James Powell III was on the move and would crack into the top five in lap-72 sending Fritts back to sixth. Powell maintained a strong car moving into second by lap-86 going by Almirola, Warren and Rogers.

By lap-94 Powell started to move in on Cope, but couldn't quite line him up for a pass. Cope was the 100-lap leader followed by Powell, Rogers, Warren and Almirola.

The pit area became a beehive of activity in lap-101 as Cope, Powell, Warren, Dick Anderson and Wayne Anderson came in for tires and fuel.

Rogers, who did not pit, was now the leader after the pit stop followed by Almirola and Fritts, who also did not pit following in second and third. Justin Drawdy was fourth and Barry Willoughby fifth.

A major caution unfurled in lap-118 between turn three and four when Mario Gosselin bumped Fritts sending him off course and causing Dick Anderson and Powell back to the pits with major damage to their cars. There were no injuries, but it pretty much ended early strong runs by Dick Anderson and Cope.

During lap-119, Rogers, Almirola, Fritts and Willoughby came in for fresh rubber and minor adjustments.

In lap-125, it was Wayne Anderson up front followed by Bigley, Warren, Jerry Symons and Daniel Keene.

Wayne Anderson still held the lead in lap-151 with Bigley, Warren, Symons and Keene following. Rogers got by Fritts as his speed started to show.

Most cars needed all they could get as Wayne Anderson opened a 10-car lead by lap-171 and was quickly on the move.

Rogers was making his presence once again felt by Warren as he looked for a pass for the third place position doing so in lap-180.

Rogers looked next to Bigley for a shot at second place and when he did make the pass a caution unfurled spoiling his effort.

The order was now Wayne Anderson, Bigley, Rogers, Warren and Michael Williams in lap-185 as time was running out for many trying to advance. Fritts pitted in lap 183.

Wayne Anderson had an eight-car lead and crossed the stripe followed by Bigley, Rogers, Warren and Williams.


Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Stock car
Drivers Billy Bigley , Wayne Anderson , Mario Gosselin , Aric Almirola
Teams Williams