Weekend racing summary 2003-05-24

EASH EARNS $3,000 IN LINCOLN SUPER SPRINT CHAMPIONSHIP Sometimes the best position to be in is in second place. Especially in heavy lapped traffic. Veteran racer Cris Eash watched from second place as race-leader Brook Weibley tangled with a...


Sometimes the best position to be in is in second place. Especially in heavy lapped traffic.

Veteran racer Cris Eash watched from second place as race-leader Brook Weibley tangled with a slowing car with three laps to go, allowing Eash to take over the top spot.

But it was far from over as Eash then had to survived a one-lap dash to the checkered over Lance Dewease to score the big win in the Annual 30-lap $3,000-to-win Super Sprint Championship at Lincoln Speedway Saturday night.

"I got a really good break," said Eash upon exiting his Advance Settlement/E&G Classic No.17E sprinter in victory lane. "A couple of cars got out of shape up here (in the third turn) and I slipped by all of the fast guys in one corner, so we were really fortunate tonight

Weibley spent most of the first 26 laps of the 30 lap championship event putting lapped cars between himself and the competition. Taking the top spot from Brian Leppo on the second circuit, Weibley then tried to motor away.

Weibley was never able to maintain his big lead, largely eliminated when the caution flag waved for a collision between Jeff Busby's and Glenndon Forsythe's cars which put Forsythe's No. 21P against the second turn wall. Weibley then resumed his lead, which continued despite another caution flag with 18 laps down. In that incident, defending track champion Fred Rahmer, seeking his first win of the season, wound up nose-first into the third turn wall after contact with another car.

On the restart, Eash moved into the runner-up spot and set his sites on the York Springs speedster who was looking good enough to win.

"I felt like I was closing the gap, but he was getting held up big-time by lapped cars," said Eash. "When he was in the clear, he was pretty darn good...it probably was his race tonight if that wouldn't have happened."

What happened was a blown tire entering the third turn, who slowed dramatically. Weibley was unable to slow quickly enough and ran into the rear of Sims' car, ending Weibley's night with an unlikely 18th-place finish.

From there, Eash had to hold off the charge of Lance Dewease, the other driver with two feature wins at Lincoln this season. Dewease passed Young for the runner-up spot with two laps remaining. One lap later, the car of Craig Smith spun in the fourth corner, bringing out the caution and creating a one-lap dash to the finish.

"Boy, I got beat a couple of weeks ago by him," Eash said of Dewease. "He ran me down...I wasn't sure what to do."

"Your instinct is to roll in and protect the bottom, but I thought I could get through (turns) one and two around the top. Lance has been going strong. It feels good to beat him."

Dewease's attempt to slide Eash on the restart in the second turn came up short.

Eash, who earned $3,000 for his 32nd career win at Lincoln by .427 of a second over Dewease, had additional reason for celebration. His father and car owner, David, is hospitalized with an illness and Eash dedicated the victory to him and Cris' wife, Amy, who was celebrating a birthday.

"We love to run for more money," Eash said about the $500 increase in the winner's purse. "I'd like to thank the Leibys and Alan Kreitzer for putting the money up tonight and I sure will be happy to take it home."

Young took third place ahead of Greg Hodnett, Weaver, Chris Knopp, Doug Esh, Josh Wells, Johnny Mackison Jr. And Keith Kauffman, who started the race in 21st spot.

New Oxford's Bobby Rudisill notched his second thundercar feature victory of the season at Lincoln, but it was hardly easy. After taking the lead from Allen Cullum on the sixth lap, he had to hold off Steve Clabaugh from the ninth circuit through the rest of the 20-lap race. In fact, Clabaugh took the lead at the flagstand with one lap remaining as he got past Rudisill on the inside of the fourth corner, but Rudisill regained the lead off the second turn and led the rest of the way for his seventh career thundercar feature win at Lincoln.

Clabaugh settled for second by a couple of car-lengths. Chet McCormick was third ahead of Cullum, David Prunkl, Mike Ciezobka, Bernie Beard, Dan Zechman, Neil Smith and Al Crammer.



Greencastle's Gary Stuhler won both ends of the 23rd Annual Shorty Bowers/Bull Durham Twin-20's to raise his career win total to 106 Saturday night at Hagerstown Speedway. It was the second time that Stuhler has won back-to-back Memorial features at the half-mile oval. In both races, Stuhler came from half-way back in the field winning the second feature on the final lap in typical Stuhler fashion.

Starting 12th in the first 20-lap feature, Stuhler wasted no time in getting to the front. Stuhler passed race-long leader Brent Smith following a eighth-lap caution restart and led the rest of the way to score his fourth win of the season over Andy Anderson and Tom Myers.

The top-10 finishers from the first feature inverted for the second, with Stuhler once again starting 12th by winning the previous feature.

This time it took Stuhler nearly the entire race to get the lead as he passed Alan Sagi in the first and second turns of the final lap to pick up his fifth win of the year over Sagi and Frankie Plessinger.

"We tried out something new on the car in the heat race tonight and it worked good, so we stayed with it in the feature," said Stuhler who has won five times in eight races this year. "Alan (Sagi) was going really good...I didn't know what was going to happen there in lap traffic, but it worked out to our advantage."

In other action, Richard Walls of St. Thomas scored his second win of the year in the late model sportsman feature and Steve Long of Chambersburg notched his first win of the year in the 15-lap pure stock main event.


Three of the five divisions completed their feature events before the rains came and postponed the reminder of the Friday night's events at the Clinton County Speedway.

Jake Shady of Beech Creek won in Super Stocks, Donnie Mellinger in Pro Stocks and Jason McCauley in the 4-Cylinder Enduros.

Mifflintown's Joe Diehl was leading the Sprint Car feature with 10 of the 25 laps complete, before rain forced Clinton County officials to postpone the remainder of the event until next Friday, May 30th.

The daredevil feature was also rained out and was rescheduled for June 6th.


After several rain delays, Danny Massey of Mt. Laurel, NJ picked up his first United Racing Club (URC) Series win in the rain-shortened feature at Penn Cann Speedway in Susquehanna, PA.

Massey took the lead from Pete Green on the fifth lap and led through the 20th lap before the rain fell once again and forced officials to end the event with 20 of the 25 laps complete, handing Massy the win.

The scheduled Saturday night race for the United Racing Club at Fonda Speedway in Fonda, NY, was canceled due to rain.


Blake Feese picked up his first career World of Outlaws A-feature win Saturday night in the rain-shortened event at the Dirt Track @ Lowe's Motor Speedway in Concord, NC.

Feese's front nose wing collapsed on the 20th lap, just before the caution waved on the 22nd lap for Adam Clarke, who shredded a right rear tire entering the first turn. Under the caution, the rain began to fall, and the race was declared official with Jason Myers and Jason Sides crossing second and third.

"I just looked at the nose wing and it's no wonder the car felt lousy the last couple of laps," said Feese in victory lane. " I'm glad it rained, now."

"We were under caution, and I thought about trying to mess with the shocks a little bit because the car was really bad, but now I know why.

"I'm going to start driving Guy Forbrook's car next week, so I'll be running with these guys a lot more often."

New Oxford's Stevie Smith lost an engine after completing his heat race, and was unable to get it changed in time for the dash. Smith ended up wit a 22nd place finish I the A-Feature after tangling with Johnny Herrera on the 17th lap, forcing an end to Smith's night.

The first of two nights of Outlaw action at the dirt track at Lowes Motor Speedway was canceled due to rain. The Friday night cancelation was not rescheduled, making Saturday night's rain-shortened event a single night show.


Rain forced cancellation of raing action at Williams grove Speedway Friday night for the 13th time in 2003. There was no rain date for this event, however, Camera and Autograph Night has been rescheduled for June 6th.

Saturday rained forced most area speedways to cancel there racing programs, they included: Port Royal, Silver Spring, Selinsgrove, and Trail-Way Speedways.

-bill Meyer-

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Sprint , Stock car
Drivers Blake Feese , Jason Sides , Jason Myers , Johnny Herrera , Neil Smith
Teams Williams