Steve Kinser tops "Salute To The King'S Royal" 410 Sprint poll KNOXVILLE, IOWA (JULY 4, 2002) - As the old saying goes, 'cream rises to the top'. In the sport of winged 410-cubic-inch sprint car racing, that means Steve Kinser of ...
Steve Kinser tops "Salute To The King'S Royal" 410 Sprint poll
KNOXVILLE, IOWA (JULY 4, 2002) - As the old saying goes, 'cream rises to the top'. In the sport of winged 410-cubic-inch sprint car racing, that means Steve Kinser of Bloomington, Indiana, is once again the top-ranked driver in the nation, according to the National 410 Sprint Car Poll's voting panel of manufacturers, media members, promoters and sanctioning officials. For Kinser, who earned twenty (20) of the thirty (30) first-place ballots cast, it marks the 58th time that he has topped the seasonal sprint car poll since it's creation in 1985. The Summer 2002 poll salutes the upcoming "King's Royal" championship at Earl Baltes' Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio, on July 20th, and 2000 "Driver of the Year" Kinser is the pre-event favorite to win it.
Defending "Driver of the Year" Danny Lasoski of Higginsville, Missouri, received the remaining ten (10) votes cast. It is clear from the poll results that the top two drivers in the Pennzoil World of Outlaws (WoO) Series, respectively, are also judged to be the top two drivers in the nation. Again, cream rises to the top.
Behind Kinser and Lasoski are 1999 titlist Mark Kinser of Indiana, Craig Dollansky of Minnesota, and Stevie Smith of Pennsylvania. Rounding out the top ten drivers are Greg Hodnett of Tennessee, Gumout WoO Series point-leader Tyler Walker, Lance Dewease of Pennsylvania, Joey Saldana of Indiana, and Donny Schatz of North Dakota, respectively. Of the top ten, only Walker and Pennsylvania Posse members Hodnett and Dewease are not regulars on Ted Johnson's tough WoO national tour.
The National 410 Sprint Car Poll is an official awards program of the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame & Museum Foundation, Inc. Other polls include the National 360 Sprint Car Poll, the National Non-Winged Sprint Car Poll, and the Australian National Sprintcar Poll.
<pre> Summer 2002 National 410 Sprint Car Poll: "Salute to the Kings Royal"
Rank Driver (First Place Votes) Hometown/State Points
1. Steve Kinser (20) Bloomington, IN 2,500 2. Danny Lasoski (10) Higginsville, MO 2,100 3. Mark Kinser Oolitic, IN 915 4. Craig Dollansky Elk River, MN 610 5. Stevie Smith New Oxford, PA 438
6. Greg Hodnett Arlington, TN 424 7. Tyler Walker Santa Clarita, CA 416 8. Lance Dewease Mount Alto, PA 400 9. Joey Saldana Brownsburg, IN 326 10. Donny Schatz Fargo, ND 218
11. Kenny Jacobs Holmesville, OH 213 12. Tim Shaffer Aliquippa, PA 161 13. Brad Furr Dublin, CA 160 14. Chad Kemenah Findlay, OH 133 15. Fred Rahmer Salfordville, PA 129
16. Terry McCarl Pleasant Hill, IA 117 17. Brent Kaeding Campbell, CA 95 18. Daryn Pittman Owasso, OK 78 19. Jac Haudenschild Wooster, OH 71 20. Jeff Shepard Upperco, MD 61
21. Keith Kauffman Mifflintown, PA 58 22. Danny Smith Danville, IN 41 tie Gary Wright Hooks, TX 41 24. Randy Hannagan Brownsburg, IN 39 25. Tim Kaeding Campbell, CA 36
Also receiving multiple votes: John Haeni, Johnny Herrera, Kasey Kahne, Kerry Madsen, Paul McMahan, Jason Meyers, Todd Shaffer, Shane Stewart, Travis Whitney, Danny Wood.