Lincoln Speedway race report 2001-05-16

ABBOTTSTOWN, PA, 5/26/01 - In a battle of age and experience verses youth and determination, veteran racer Steve Siegel showed that the veterans still have what it takes - barely. Siegel passed a vastly improved youthful Niki Young on the 24th...

ABBOTTSTOWN, PA, 5/26/01 - In a battle of age and experience verses youth and determination, veteran racer Steve Siegel showed that the veterans still have what it takes - barely.

Siegel passed a vastly improved youthful Niki Young on the 24th lap, then drove away to his second win of the season in the special 30-lap Super Sprint Championship at Lincoln Speedway Saturday night.

"I mean, I'm whipped," said a tired, but happy Siegel upon exiting his Singer Brothers/Bob Folk No.66 sprinter in victory lane. "The track was fast and that played me out. And Niki (Young), he played me out."

"It was a good race, I'm happy, and it was fun."

Siegel, who started eighth, passed Young in the third and fourth turns of the 24th lap and then led the rest of the way to take the checkered 1.98 seconds ahead of the Spring Grove speedster to take home the $3,000 top prize.

"I'd like to, believe me, this is really nice," said Siegel when asked that if after winning his second race of the year season that it was beginning to become a habit. "The track was really, really fast and I didn't know if I was going to be able to get Niki (Young) or not."

"I just kept working the bottom. I was actually trying to suck him down there because I thought the top would have been a little bit quicker for me. But we were so tight and the track was so fast."

The original start of the 30 lap sprint championship saw the red flag wave before the first lap was in the books when Hanover's Cris Eash lost the handle and bounced high into the air in the third and fourth turns. Unfazed, Eash rejoined the field at the rear for the complete restart.

Then outside frontrow starter Glenndon Forsythe grabbed the lead over polesitter Dustin Hoffman on the restart with fifth-starting Billy Sims, third-starting Young, and fourth-starting Josh Wells in tow. The caution waved on the second lap as Cliff Brian brought his sprinter to a stop on the frontstretch.

The restart saw Forsythe maintain the lead over Hoffman as Young moved past Sims into third. Forsythe opened a 1.85-second lead as Young passed Hoffman for the runner-up spot on the sixth lap. Larry Shive brought out the caution on the seventh lap as he came to a stop in the first and second turns.

Young dove under Forsythe in the third and fourth turn to take the lead as they completed the seventh lap. From there, Young began to widen the gap between himself and Forsythe.

Meanwhile, eighth-starting Siegel had moved up into third place on the seventh lap restart and drove around Forsythe into second on the ninth lap. >From there, Siegel slowly narrowed the gap between himself and the race-leading Young. They were nose-to-tail as they headed into lapped traffic on the 12th lap.

A caution on the 15th lap for the stopped sprinter of Dan Shetler on the frontstretch allowed Young a clear track with Siegel on his tail. Young was able to hold off Siegel on the restart and kept him at bay until the race was slowed one last time when Chad Trout lost the handle exiting the second turn and hit the backstretch guardrail.

On the restart, Siegel stayed glued to Young's bumper. When Young slid high in the first and second turns around a lapped car on the 24th lap - he opened the door for Siegel on the bottom with Siegel blasting into the lead exiting the second turn.

"He got high down here and opened up the bottom," recalled the veteran racer from New Oxford. "There was a lapped car there and I may have squeezed the lapped car towards him."

"I didn't want to be in second long tonight. Niki has been tough. He ran Fred (Rahmer) tough last week and he ran me awful tough tonight."

From there Siegel drove away over the remaining six laps to pick up his 25th career win at the Pigeon Hills oval.

"I'm real happy with my guys," Siegel was quick to add. Rick Roth and them lent us this Don Ott motor this week and I've really got to thank them. Last week we hurt a motor, and we'll have another one together here shortly and hopefully Rick will let us run this one until we get that one done. I can't ask for any more out of these guys. They do a heck of a job and work hard all week. Charlie really busted his butt on this car and Ed takes care of the motors really well. And Folk, he spends the money."

Early race leader Forsythe finished third, with Billy Sims fourth and Johnny Mackison Jr. fifth.

Completing the top-10 were Eash (who came from the rear after bringing out the red on lap one), Fred Rahmer, Wells, Curt Michael, and Darren Eash.

Heats for the 21 sprinters on hand were won by Wells and Rahmer.

Fayetteville's Jimmy Brookens started fourth, drove into the lead by the end of the first lap, and scored his first-ever Lincoln win in the 15-lap micro-sprint feature. Brookens dominated the first half of the race, but by the time the third and final caution came out for Frank Eichelberger on lap 10, 12th starting Shawn Seifert of York had worked his way into the runner-up spot. Brookens and Seifert battled the rest of the way, with Brookens crossing .23-seconds ahead of Seifert at the checkered. Randy West, Steve Buckwalter, and Bo Gordon completed the top five.

Heats for the 49 micro-sprints were won by Seifert, Gordon, Richie Hartman, and West. Twin consolations were won by Randy Baughman and Jim Sill.

A wild 20-lap thundercar feature saw Duane Watson win from fourth without passing a car. David Prunkl (who led laps one through four) and Mike Zeigler, Jr. (who led laps six through 12), both handed the lead to Watson when they dropped out during caution laps. Watson was actually scored the leader of lap five, and led the final eight laps despite getting together with Gary Potts (who was running second) and Steve Clabaugh (third) on the fourth turn of lap 18. The three-car collision ended the night for both Potts (flat left rear) and Clabaugh (punctured radiator). Watson sustained minimal damage and was not challenged over the final two laps. Good friend Bobby Rudisill came from the back (early-race incident) to finish second 1.51-seconds behind Watson, with Jeremy Brown, Ken Berwager, and points leader Bernie Beard completing the top five.

Heats for the 26 thundercars were won by Bobby Beard, Potts, and Prunkl.

It will be ARCH NIGHT next Saturday night, June 2nd at 7:30 PM with all three regular divisions in action. It will be a full night of racing as the Cindy Rowe Auto Glass Super Sprints, the Budweiser/Motorsports Monthly 358 Sprints, and the Miller Brothers Chevrolet Thundercars do battle. Gates will open at 5 p.m., with hot laps at 7 p.m., with the first heat scheduled to take the green flag at 7:30 p.m.


Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Sprint , Stock car