KNOXVILLE, IOWA (APR. 8, 2001) - Ask Danny Lasoski of Higginsville, Mo., and he'll tell you that he likes the Spring season. In fact, for the second straight year, he was voted the number one sprint car driver in the country in the Spring...
KNOXVILLE, IOWA (APR. 8, 2001) - Ask Danny Lasoski of Higginsville, Mo., and he'll tell you that he likes the Spring season. In fact, for the second straight year, he was voted the number one sprint car driver in the country in the Spring edition by the National 410 Sprint Car Poll voting panel of manufacturers, media members, promoters and sanctioning officials. The challenge ahead for 'the Dude', though, is to maintain that ranking through the Fall, something he was unable to do last season. Lasoski, driving Tony Stewart's J.D. Byrider Eagle sprinter, earned eighteen (18) of the thirty (30) first place votes cast. Danny currently leads the Pennzoil World of Outlaws (WoO) Series points.
Garnering five first place votes and a career-best ranking of second in the nation is Craig Dollansky of Elk River, Minnesota. The defending Gumout WoO Support Series champion has already won on the Pennzoil WoO Series tour this year aboard Karavan Racing's Polydome-sponsored Maxim chassis.
Rounding out the top five drivers in the Spring Poll are Andy Hillenburg of Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, Steve Kinser of Bloomington, Indiana, and Mark Kinser of Oolitic, Indiana, respectively. Hillenburg, aboard a Luxaire-sponsored J&J sprinter, gathered two first place votes. The Kinser cousins, both piloting Maxim sprinters, combined for five first place votes, with Steve getting four and Mark taking one. Steve is sponsored by Quaker State, and Mark by Mopar, on Ted Johnson's tough Pennzoil WoO circuit. Rounding out the top ten drivers of winged 410 c.i. sprint cars are Joey Saldana, Central Pennsylvania's Fred Rahmer, Donny Schatz, American Sprint Car Series (ASCS) graduate Danny Wood and Brad Furr, respectively.
The National 410 Sprint Car Poll is an official awards program of the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame & Museum Foundation, Inc. Other polls include the National 360 Sprint Car Poll, the National Non-Winged Sprint Car Poll, and the Australian National Sprintcar Poll.
<pre> Spring 2001 - National 410 Sprint Car Poll
Rank Driver (First Place Votes) Hometown/State Points
1. Danny Lasoski (18) Higginsville, MO 2,240 2. Craig Dollansky ( 5) Elk River, MN 1,268 3. Andy Hillenburg ( 2) Broken Arrow, OK 1,145 4. Steve Kinser ( 4) Bloomington, IN 1,074 5. Mark Kinser ( 1) Oolitic, IN 668
6. Joey Saldana Brownsburg, IN 648 7. Fred Rahmer Salfordville, PA 367 8. Donny Schatz Minot, ND 274 9. Danny Wood Norman, OK 251 10. Brad Furr Dublin, CA 230
11. Gary Wright Hooks, TX 200 12. Lance Dewease Mount Alto, PA 181 13. Tim Shaffer Aliquippa, PA 148 14. Jeff Shepard Upperco, MD 132 15. Paul McMahan Oroville, CA 121
16. Brent Kaeding Campbell, CA 108 17. Sammy Swindell Cordova, TN 105 18. Dale Blaney Fowler, OH 100 19. Stevie Smith New Oxford, PA 81 20. Greg Hodnett Memphis, TN 77
21. Jac Haudenschild Wooster, OH 73 22. Donnie Kreitz Sinking Spring, PA 55 23. Jason Meyers Clovis, CA 33 24. Kenny Jacobs Holmesville, OH 31 25. Randy Hannagan Pittsboro, IN 28
Also receiving multiple votes: Rodney Duncan, Johnny Herrera, Ronald Laney, Brooke Tatnell.
-Thomas J Schmeh