WAYNE JOHNSON IS NUMBER ONE IN "SALUTE TO 360 NATIONALS" POLL KNOXVILLE, IOWA (JUNE 14, 2001) - Wayne Johnson of Oklahoma City, Okla., is the top-rated 360-cubic-inch sprint car driver in the nation heading into this weekend's 360 ...
WAYNE JOHNSON IS NUMBER ONE IN "SALUTE TO 360 NATIONALS" POLL
KNOXVILLE, IOWA (JUNE 14, 2001) - Wayne Johnson of Oklahoma City, Okla., is the top-rated 360-cubic-inch sprint car driver in the nation heading into this weekend's 360 national championships, according to the National 360 Sprint Car Poll voting panel of manufacturers, media members, promoters and sanctioning officials. Johnson, a two-time winner this spring in American Sprint Car Series (ASCS) competition and the defending ASCS point champion, earned two of the fifteen (15) first-place ballots cast. Johnson appears to be the early favorite to defend his June 15-16 Advance Auto Parts 360 Nationals title at the half- mile Knoxville Raceway.
Ranked second in the poll is fellow Oklahoma Citian Larry Neighbors. The current ASCS runner-up received four first place votes and has one ASCS win to his credit already this year. Rounding out the top five in the poll are defending National 360 Sprint Car Poll "Driver of the Year" Kenny Adams of Malabar, Fla., ASCS point leader Zach Chappell of Talala, Okla., and three-time ASCS winner Gary Wright of Hooks, Tex. Adams and Chappell earned three first place votes each, while Wright scored one vote, as did Greg Coverdale of Milford, Del., and T.J. Stutts of Etters, Penna.
Other point leaders in the "top 25" are Mike Woodring of Empire Super Sprints (ESS) in 6th, Randy Martin at Knoxville Raceway in 8th, Bobby Clark of National Racing Alliance (NRA) in 11th, Jayme Barnes of Northern Sprint Tour (NST) in 12th, Terry Gray of United Sprint Car Series (USCS) in 20th, and Chris Coyle of United Racing Club (URC) in 23rd.
The National 360 Sprint Car Poll is an official awards program of the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame & Museum Foundation, Inc. <pre> Spring 2001 National 360 Sprint Car Poll: "Salute to the 360 Nationals"
Rank Driver (First Place Votes) Hometown/State Points
1. Wayne Johnson ( 2) Oklahoma City, OK 537 2. Larry Neighbors ( 4) Oklahoma City, OK 525 3. Kenny Adams ( 3) Malabar, FL 520 4. Zach Chappell ( 3) Talala, OK 402 5. Gary Wright ( 1) Hooks, TX 267
6. Mike Woodring Eden, NY 154 7. Roger Crockett Rio Linda, CA 137 8. Randy Martin California, MO 133 9. Tim Allison Cridersville, OH 98 10. Shawna Wilskey Lake Stevens, WA 97
11. Bobby Clark Fremont, OH 87 12. Jayme Barnes Everett, WA 66 tie Mike Haggenbottom Levittown, PA 66 14. Greg Coverdale ( 1) Milford, DE 50 tie Lance Yonge Penn Yan, NY 50
16. Greg Leonard Apollo Beach, FL 45 17. Eddie Gallagher Memphis, TN 42 18. George Suprick Clarks Summit, PA 35 19. Tony Norem Dassel, MN 32 20. Terry Gray Bartlett, TN 31 tie Randy Years Honeoye Falls, NY 31
22. T.J. Stutts ( 1) Etters, PA 25 23. Chris Coyle Wilmington, DE 21 tie Tim Crawley Mabelvale, AR 21 25. Greg Wilson Benton Ridge, OH 17 </pre>
Also receiving multiple votes: Sport Allen, Larry Ball (Jr.), Bill Brian, Keith Butler, Ryan Coniam, Tim Doogs, Michael Dupuy, Doug Emery, Andy Forsberg, Mike Houseman, Mike Hudson, Steve Irwin, Chad Layton, Mike Linder, Dave McGough, Sean Michael, Dain Naida, Jim Raptis, Wayne Reutimann, Brian Seidel, Marshall Skinner, William "Red" Stauffer, Chris Sutton, Jeremy Trout.
- Sprint Hall of Fame