Kaeding Dodges Brownsburg Bullet On Way to Victory in All Star Finale BARBERVILLE, FL (2-8-07) The pits at Volusia Speedway Park were packed once again for night ...
Kaeding Dodges Brownsburg Bullet On Way to Victory in All Star Finale
BARBERVILLE, FL (2-8-07) The pits at Volusia Speedway Park were packed once again for night #3 of the 36th Annual DIRTcar Nationals presented by Mopar Speedshops. 57 cars signed in to compete for the $7000 O'Reilly All Star Circuit of Champions prize money, but 3 scratched before qualifying and 54 drivers would make up the field for the evening.
It was Tim Kaeding who would net the big money as he drove the high line to chase down Joey Saldana to put on a show for the large crowd that came out to enjoy the festivities. Fred Rahmer and Brad Sweet lined up on the front row and Rahmer jumped out to the lead and pulled away from the rest of the field only to have that lead nixed by a caution on lap 3 for Danny Lasoski who slowed on the backstretch.
On the restart Rahmer led over Sweet, Joey Saldana, and Tim Kaeding. Saldana got around Sweet and challenged Rahmer for the lead as they battled side by side for several laps until Saldana took the lead on lap 9. Saldana looked like he would run away with the race like he had done two nights earlier, but Kaeding had other plans. Kaeding hounded Rahmer for 2nd place until he finally took over the spot on lap 21 but he would not settle for a second place finish.
Saldana entered heavy lapped traffic and had trouble negotiating the back markers as Kaeding gained on him and pulled along side him with just 5 laps to go in the 30 lap affair. Kaeding then took the lead on lap 26 as Saldana tried to dive back under him as they nearly got together in turn two. The caution would fly once again on lap 27 for Brian Paulus who slowed to a stop in turn 4.
On the restart Kaeding led over Saldana, Rahmer, and Steve Kinser. Kaeding again jumped out to the lead with Saldana in tow as Kinser hunted down Rahmer for 3rd. Kaeding and Saldana thrilled the crowd as Kaeding crossed the line just a fraction of a second ahead of Saldana as Kinser lost a left rear tire coming out of turn 4 and nearly turned over. He did not cross the finish line.
"Every time you go out and win, it's like the first time you won a race," said Kaeding. "You just have to take it and run with it, because you don't know when the next one will come. It was unbelievable. I think we dropped a cylinder with about five to go," Kaeding continued. "We just prayed it would stay together for the last four or five laps there and it did. I just have to thank my crew, and everybody that is helping out, especially Steve Kinser Racing. They have given me the opportunity of a lifetime. That is why Steve hired me, to go out and win for him. I'm just going to do what I can all year long and have fun." Saldana did not seem satisfied with his runner up finish. "Lapped cars were not going very well for me," said Saldana. "That helped Tim close in on us. I just wasn't getting through lapped traffic well enough. We'll just come back tomorrow and see what we can do." Rahmer was able to hold on to third as hard charging Jac Haudenschild finished 4th and Terry McCarl rounded out the Top 5. The Crown Battery Heat Race #1 was won by Chad Kemenah who had the Premier Motorsports #70 hooked up on the fast ½ mile. Paul McMahan won the B&B Oval track Products Heat Race #2. Randy Hannagan won the Engler Machine heat Race #3. The Taylor Wings Heat Race #3 was won by Greg Hodnett.
The Outerwears Pre-Filters C-main started out with All Star Rookie of the Year contender Tiffany Wyzard getting into the turn one fence after contact with Craig Mintz who is also competing for Rookie honors with the series. TJ Winegardner led the event but something broke with 4 laps to go dropping him out of the race and allowing Danny Smith to snag the final transfer spot behind Ed Neumeister, Robbie Vaughn, and Brian Ellenberger.
The University of Northwest Ohio B-main went green to checker with 12 laps of fast and furious action. Cody Darrah held off several challenges by Jac Haudenshild who started on the second row and charged to the front on the high side just inches from the wall showing the fans how he earned the nickname "The Wild Child". Tony Bruce Jr. crossed the line third as Lucas Wolfe held off Zach Chappel for the final transfer position.
Volusia Speedway Park 2-8-07
Qualifying - Huggins Cams
1. 9-Joey Saldana, 13.544; 2. 89-Cody Darrah, 13.621; 3. 7-Craig Dollansky, 13.628; 4. 18-Tony Bruce, 13.701; 5. 11K-Tim Kaeding, 13.720; 6. 35-Jac Haudenschild, 13.722; 7. 11-Steve Kinser, 13.725; 8. 6S-Brad Sweet, 13.750; 9. 51-Fred Rahmer, 13.756; 10. 24-Terry McCarl, 13.772; 11. 96-Bronson Maechen, 13.772; 12. R19-Jason Solwold, 13.795; 13. 5WX-Lucas Wolfe, 13.802; 14. 10C-Jeremy Campbell, 13.820; 15. 28-Brian Paulus, 13.823; 16. 83-Danny Lasoski, 13.846; 17. 70-Chad Kemenah, 13.850; 18. 21-Daryn Pittman, 13.856; 19. W20-Greg Wilson, 13.870; 20. 22-Greg Hodnett, 13.887; 21. 55-Mark Smith, 13.889; 22. 20-Paul McMahan, 13.909; 23. 1X-Randy Hannagan, 13.925; 24. 15H-Sam Hafertepe, 13.947; 25. OO-Danny Martin Jr., 13.974; 26. 8K-Zach Chappell, 13.993; 27. 5C-Chad Hillier, 13.997; 28. 14-Jason Meyers, 14.002; 29. 6F-Bob Felmlee, 14.009; 30. 1Z-Dusty Zomer, 14.015; 31. 71M-Paul May, 14.108; 32. 32-Justin Barger, 14.123; 33. 69-Justin Collett, 14.137; 34. 22B-Ben Gregg, 14.149; 35. 3-Kaley Gharst, 14.156; 36. 36-Jason Martin, 14.171; 37. 11N-Ed Neumeister, 14.171; 38. 11M-Brandon Martin, 14.183; 39. 20E-Brian Ellenberger, 14.197; 40. 11T-T.J. Winegardner, 14.201; 41. 6W-Josh Wells, 14.207; 42. 4R-Robbie Vaughn, 14.210; 43. 4-Danny Smith, 14.255; 44. 93-Johnathon Eriksen, 14.261; 45. 5W-Tiffany Wyzard, 14.290; 46. 94S-Natalie Sather, 14.393; 47. 8S-Craig Mintz, 14.710; 48. 4G-Spud Gustin, 14.784; 49. 16-Lee Stark, 14.827; 50. 6X-Mark Cole, 14.921; 51. 72J-Johnny Johnson, 16.980; 52. 30C-Steve Clabaugh, 18.088; 53. 18X-Brian Carlson, ; 54. 25-Lance Dewease, ; 55. 2-Becca Anderson, ; 56. 12M-James Mosher, ; 57. 42-John Smith
Heat 1 - Crown Battery
1. 70-Chad Kemenah; 2. 55-Mark Smith; 3. 9-Joey Saldana; 4. 51-Fred Rahmer; 5. 11K-Tim Kaeding; 6. 5WX-Lucas Wolfe; 7. OO-Danny Martin Jr.; 8. 69-Justin Collett; 9. 6F-Bob Felmlee; 10. 6W-Josh Wells; 11. 16-Lee Stark; 12. 5W-Tiffany Wyzard; 13. 11N-Ed Neumeister; 14. 18X-Brian Carlson
Heat 2 - B & B Oval Track Products
1. 20-Paul McMahan; 2. 24-Terry McCarl; 3. 21-Daryn Pittman; 4. 10C-Jeremy Campbell; 5. 1Z-Dusty Zomer; 6. 89-Cody Darrah; 7. 35-Jac Haudenschild; 8. 8K-Zach Chappell; 9. 94S-Natalie Sather; 10. 22B-Ben Gregg; 11. 4R-Robbie Vaughn; 12. 6X-Mark Cole; 13. 11M-Brandon Martin
Heat 3 - Engler Machine & Tool
1. 1X-Randy Hannagan; 2. 7-Craig Dollansky; 3. W20-Greg Wilson; 4. 11-Steve Kinser; 5. 28-Brian Paulus; 6. 71M-Paul May; 7. 96-Bronson Maechen; 8. 5C-Chad Hillier; 9. 20E-Brian Ellenberger; 10. 8S-Craig Mintz; 11. 4-Danny Smith; 12. 3-Kaley Gharst; 13. 72J-Johnny Johnson
Heat 4 - Taylor Wings
1. 22-Greg Hodnett; 2. 83-Danny Lasoski; 3. 15H-Sam Hafertepe; 4. R19-Jason Solwold; 5. 6S-Brad Sweet; 6. 14-Jason Meyers; 7. 18-Tony Bruce; 8. 32-Justin Barger; 9. 11T-T.J. Winegardner; 10. 93-Johnathon Eriksen; 11. 36-Jason Martin; 12. 4G-Spud Gustin; 13. 30C-Steve Clabaugh
C-main - Outerwears Co. Inc.
1. 11N-Ed Neumeister; 2. 4R-Robbie Vaughn; 3. 20E-Brian Ellenberger; 4. 4-Danny Smith; 5. 6W-Josh Wells; 6. 94S-Natalie Sather; 7. 93-Johnathon Eriksen; 8. 4G-Spud Gustin; 9. 11T-T.J. Winegardner; 10. 6X-Mark Cole; 11. 16-Lee Stark; 12. 8S-Craig Mintz; 13. 72J-Johnny Johnson; 14. 5W-Tiffany Wyzard; 15. 18X-Brian Carlson; 16. 11M-Brandon Martin
B-main - University of Northwest Ohio
1. 89-Cody Darrah; 2. 35-Jac Haudenschild; 3. 18-Tony Bruce; 4. 5WX-Lucas Wolfe; 5. 8K-Zach Chappell; 6. 14-Jason Meyers; 7. 5C-Chad Hillier; 8. 71M-Paul May; 9. 36-Jason Martin; 10. 4-Danny Smith; 11. 96-Bronson Maechen; 12. 6F-Bob Felmlee; 13. 32-Justin Barger; 14. 69-Justin Collett; 15. OO-Danny Martin Jr.; 16. 20E-Brian Ellenberger; 17. 22B-Ben Gregg; 18. 4R-Robbie Vaughn; 19. 11N-Ed Neumeister; 20. 3-Kaley Gharst
A-main - MSD Ignition Starting Position [#]
1. 11K-Tim Kaeding; 2. 9-Joey Saldana; 3. 51-Fred Rahmer; 4. 35-Jac Haudenschild; 5. 24-Terry McCarl; 6. 7-Craig Dollansky; 7. 70-Chad Kemenah; 8. 6S-Brad Sweet; 9. 21-Daryn Pittman; 10. 22-Greg Hodnett; 11. R19-Jason Solwold; 12. 89-Cody Darrah; 13. 10C-Jeremy Campbell; 14. 28-Brian Paulus; 15. 11-Steve Kinser; 16. 20-Paul McMahan; 17. 15H-Sam Hafertepe; 18. 5WX-Lucas Wolfe; 19. 55-Mark Smith; 20. W20-Greg Wilson; 21. 18-Tony Bruce; 22. 1Z-Dusty Zomer; 23. 1X-Randy Hannagan; 24. 83-Danny Lasoski