Dean Jacobs Finds Victory on American Soil with "America's Series" FREMONT, OH (5-6-06) - by Bryan Autullo - Fresh off his Western Australia AHG Sprintcar Series championship in Australia, Dean managed to find success back on American soil at...
Dean Jacobs Finds Victory on American Soil with "America's Series"
FREMONT, OH (5-6-06) - by Bryan Autullo - Fresh off his Western Australia AHG Sprintcar Series championship in Australia, Dean managed to find success back on American soil at Fremont Speedway in only his second night out this season with the Ray Pullins #29 team. Dean stole the lead from early race leader - and current All Star points leader - Greg Wilson on lap 14.
Wilson had jumped out to an early lead from his pole position starting spot and pulled away from the rest of the field. There was a caution for debris on lap 6, but on the restart Wilson pulled away as Kelly Kinser and Caleb Griffith battled for 2^nd place.
Wilson worked the high side of the track at a blistering pace. He looked to be well on his way to his second feature win of the weekend. He took home the prize money from Attica Raceway Park on Friday night in non-sanctioned local action from his 15^th starting position. Several other All Star teams were also in attendance.
By lap 11, Jacobs had worked his way up to 2^nd and Chad Blonde (who won at Butler Speedway on Friday night) was up to 4^th as Wilson had Verl Warnimont's #w20 rocketing through the turns. Unfortunately for Greg, a lapped car spun in front of him causing him to go off the high side of turn 3 and into the foam barriers. There was little damage to the car thanks to Fremont's "soft walls", but Wilson would have to restart on the tail.
On the restart it was Jacobs, Kinser, Blonde, Brock Mayes, Danny Smith, Caleb Griffith, Kevin Huntley up from 14th, Byron Reed and Butch Schroeder up from 17th.
Jacobs now pulled away from the field with an open track in front of him. With 12 laps to go the leader was into traffic and Kinser began to close the gap. Jacobs, who is famous for hanging it out on the top edge of the speedway must have seen the white #4k behind him and decided to protect the bottom - the preferred line by Kinser over the years. Jacobs had his left front bouncing over the low side berm for the remainder of the race giving Kinser no room to poke a nose under him.
When Jacobs took the white flag, Kinser was on his rear bumper, but Jacobs went on to the win. He was followed by Kinser, Mayes, Blonde, Reed, Smith, Dale Blaney, Huntley, Griffith, and Rob Chaney who was in Stan Courtad's #9x.
"I know I've been critical of this place in the past, but as I get older I appreciate the history of Fremont and how difficult it is to win here," said Jacobs beside his Waverly Quik Lube sponsored #29 on his first ever victory at "The Track That Action Built." "To come back from Australia and win in only our second night out with this team this season is awesome."
"I have to dedicate this to my dad...we lost him this winter and it's hard to come to the track knowing he's not here. We also had a buddy lose a son in a car wreck last week. We have both their names on the car," added Jacobs.
Kelly Kinser said, "I tried to rattle Dean's cage a couple of times by showing him my nose, but he did what a good racer is supposed to do...stay your line. We gave this Crone Lumber car a good run and we'll take second."
Third place finisher Brock Mayes stated, "This is where a lot of us started...so to come here and be on the front stretch at the end of the night is very special. We have a lot of confidence right now." Mayes began his career in the 305 sprints at Fremont Speedway.
In Haulmark Dash action, Wilson ran hard into the first turn from his front row starting position and took it a bit too high slipping off the top and dropping to the tail. Danny Smith took advantage and ran away with it to the checkered followed by Blonde, Blaney, Mayes, and Mark Keegan.. The cheers could be heard from all around as the huge Fremont crowd showed their support for the veteran Smith.
When asked if he was happy to have some success after all he has been through recently, he stated, "I'm just happy to win the Trophy Dash. I'm grateful for support and generosity of all the fans. Jan wanted the money to be donated to a family whose kid has Leukemia whose house recently burned down. We took them a check the other day for $5200."
The 15 lap B-main had plenty of action as James Mosher looped it out on lap 1, but managed to keep going as he lost several positions. Then Bobby Clark spun bringing out the first caution. On the restart, Kyle Cummins had a flat right rear bringing out the 2^nd caution. By lap 5, Mosher had worked his way back up to 8^th , but a spinning John Ivy left Mosher no place to go and he clipped Ivy with the right front. Mosher was on his way back to the front, but the damage was too great to continue. Mike Linder had the fastest car on the speedway coming from 14^th to 5^th by lap 6. Ryan Coniam caught the low side berm on lap 6 and flipped up the track ending his night. In the closing laps you could have thrown a blanket over the top 4 as Byron Reed, Linder, Brandon Martin, and Neil Shepard battled 2 and 3 wide. All four transferred to the main event.
The All Stars will be back in action on Saturday May 13^th at K-C Raceway in Chillicothe, Ohio. The event is co-sanctioned with the World of Outlaws and is dubbed "The Ohio Challenge II". The original "Ohio Challenge" was rained out last season and was never rescheduled.
*Qualifying - Huggins Cams*
1. 2-Dale Blaney, 12.795; 2. 4K-Kelly Kinser, 12.907; 3. 4-Danny Smith, 12.935; 4. 29-Dean Jacobs, 12.981; 5. 2G-Caleb Griffith, 13.013; 6. W20-Greg Wilson, 13.025; 7. 5B-Chad Blonde, 13.042; 8. X-Mark Keegan, 13.063; 9. 10-David Harrison, 13.085; 10. 11B-Brock Mayes, 13.094; 11. 53-John Ivy, 13.122; 12. 2H-Tim Hunter, 13.135; 13. 5R-Byron Reed, 13.137; 14. 1H-Kyle Cummins, 13.137; 15. 12M-James Mosher, 13.142; 16. 9X-Rob Chaney, 13.158; 17. 14H-Todd Heller, 13.160; 18. 70-Kevin Huntley, 13.205; 19. 71M-Paul May, 13.209; 20. 4N-Niel Shepard, 13.215; 21. 7K-Butch Schroeder, 13.304; 22. 8S-Craig Mintz, 13.335; 23. 7B-Jamie Miller, 13.342; 24. 16-Lee Jacobs, 13.357; 25. 11M-Brandon Martin, 13.360; 26. 8C-Bobby Clark, 13.383; 27. 31-Chuck Wilson, 13.433; 28. 1R-Phil Gressman, 13.435; 29. 55-Brian Smith, 13.435; 30. 1A-Mark Aldrich, 13.560; 31. F1-Jon Finsel, 13.560; 32. 63-Barry Ruble, 13.590; 33. 99-Alvin Roepke, 13.643; 34. 3L-Mike Linder, 13.651; 35. 2X-Ryan Coniam, 13.657; 36. 97S-Aaron Shaffer, 13.696; 37. O-Ben Rutan, 13.697; 38. 10S-Roger Shammo, 13.758
*Heat 1 - Outerwears Pre-filters* (10 laps, top 5 transfer to A-Main)
1. 7K-Butch Schroeder; 2. 14H-Todd Heller; 3. 2-Dale Blaney; 4. 2G-Caleb Griffith; 5. 55-Brian Smith; 6. 10-David Harrison; 7. O-Ben Rutan; 8. 11M-Brandon Martin; 9. 5R-Byron Reed; 10. 99-Alvin Roepke
*Heat 2 - B&B Oval Track Products* (10 laps, top 5 transfer to A-Main)
1. 8S-Craig Mintz; 2. 11B-Brock Mayes; 3. W20-Greg Wilson; 4. 70-Kevin Huntley; 5. 4K-Kelly Kinser; 6. 1H-Kyle Cummins; 7. 3L-Mike Linder; 8. 8C-Bobby Clark; 9. 10S-Roger Shammo; 10. 1A-Mark Aldrich
*Heat 3 - Engler Machine & Tool* (10 laps, top 5 transfer to A-Main)
1. 5B-Chad Blonde; 2. 71M-Paul May; 3. 4-Danny Smith; 4. 7B-Jamie Miller; 5. 31-Chuck Wilson; 6. 2X-Ryan Coniam; 7. 12M-James Mosher; 8. F1-Jon Finsel
*Heat 4 - TP Wings* (10 laps, top 5 transfer to A-Main)
1. 29-Dean Jacobs; 2. 9X-Rob Chaney; 3. X-Mark Keegan; 4. 16-Lee Jacobs; 5. 2H-Tim Hunter; 6. 1R-Phil Gressman; 7. 4N-Niel Shepard; 8. 97S-Aaron Shaffer; 9. 63-Barry Ruble
*Haulmark Dash *(6 laps)
1. 4-Danny Smith; 2. 5B-Chad Blonde; 3. 2-Dale Blaney; 4. 11B-Brock Mayes; 5. X-Mark Keegan; 6. W20-Greg Wilson
*B-main - University of Northwest Ohio* (15 laps, top 4 transfer to A-Main)
1. 5R-Byron Reed; 2. 3L-Mike Linder; 3. 11M-Brandon Martin; 4. 4N-Niel Shepard; 5. 10S-Roger Shammo; 6. 99-Alvin Roepke; 7. 63-Barry Ruble; 8. 53-John Ivy; 9. 10-David Harrison; 10. 8C-Bobby Clark; 11. 1A-Mark Aldrich; 12. F1-Jon Finsel; 13. 2X-Ryan Coniam; 14. O-Ben Rutan; 15. 12M-James Mosher; 16. 1R-Phil Gressman; 17. 97S-Aaron Shaffer; 18. 1H-Kyle Cummins
*A-main - MSD Ignition* (40 laps) -- Starting Position 
1. 29-Dean Jacobs; 2. 4K-Kelly Kinser; 3. 11B-Brock Mayes; 4. 5B-Chad Blonde; 5. 5R-Byron Reed; 6. 4-Danny Smith; 7. 2-Dale Blaney; 8. 70-Kevin Huntley; 9. 2G-Caleb Griffith; 10. 9X-Rob Chaney; 11. 2H-Tim Hunter; 12. 7K-Butch Schroeder; 13. 11M-Brandon Martin; 14. 16-Lee Jacobs; 15. W20-Greg Wilson; 16. 14H-Todd Heller; 17. 71M-Paul May; 18. 31-Chuck Wilson; 19. 8S-Craig Mintz; 20. 7B-Jamie Miller; 21. 4N-Niel Shepard; 22. 55-Brian Smith; 23. X-Mark Keegan; 24. 3L-Mike Linder