Shane Stewart Notches First Eldora Win All Star Style ROSSBURG, OH (5-19-07) Shane Stewart started on the pole of the 30 lap A-main event by virtue of a great qualifying effort and transferring from his heat race and never looked back when the...
Shane Stewart Notches First Eldora Win All Star Style
ROSSBURG, OH (5-19-07) Shane Stewart started on the pole of the 30 lap A-main event by virtue of a great qualifying effort and transferring from his heat race and never looked back when the green flag dropped. The Eldora Speedway crew worked hard to bring the track back into shape for the O'Reilly All Star Circuit of Champions and as the night went on, the right rears were firmly planted against the outside fence as Stewart used every inch of the track to notch his first victory at the infamous "track that Earl built". When asked about his banzai move off of turn two early in the race that split two lapped cars like he was threading a needle, Stewart responded by saying, "I learned running with the Outlaws here that if you back off just a little bit you get passed." He kept his foot to the floor and sliced through the back markers with a surgeon's precision.
All Star Dash winner Rob Chaney drove the wheels off the Randy & Lisa Hammer owned #24h car trying to run Stewart down in traffic, but never got close enough to shake Stewart's nerves. The nerves of the fans were the only thing shaken as a spinning Kent Wolters nearly pinched Chaney into the outside barrier, but Chaney was hard on the brakes and squeaked by just barely scrubbing the wall. Had the old fence still been in place, Chaney most likely would have landed rubber side up. He was able to continue and managed a very respectable second place finish as his team has been on fire lately winning the last two weekends at Fremont and Attica. "I'm pleased with the run tonight and glad to see Shane run so well," said Chaney. "I really want to win a winged race here and I think we're real close. We'll take this finish and move on."
Danny Smith was the Huggins Cams fast qualifier of the night and had the familiar #4 machine riding the high line trying to catch the leaders. Lapped traffic never became much of a factor for Stewart and Chaney which hurt Smith's chances of contesting for a win on the super-fast ½ mile.
Stewart was excited about his first win at Eldora and thanked car owners Larry Wood and Junior Holbrook for putting this deal together for him. "I lost a pretty good NST and Outlaw ride last year and I jumped in this thing and finally got a win at Eldora. I never imagined it would be like this. I'm pretty proud of my guys tonight."
Chaney won the All Star Dash followed by Brian Ellenberger, Dale Blaney, Shane Stewart, Dustin Daggett, and Danny Smith.
Heat races were won by Brian Paulus, Brandon Martin, and Brock Mayes. All Star Rookie of the Year contender Craig Mintz took a nasty tumble in turn one while leading the first heat. A broken torsion stop sent him tail tank first into the outside fence causing him to flip, then Bill Rose had nowhere to go and slammed squarely into the rear of Mintz's car. Craig climbed out a bit sore with a severely damaged race car and was done for the night.
The O'Reilly All Stars will be back in action on Friday May 25^th at Attica Raceway Park to make up one of the rained out Coors Light Spring Nationals events. Ticket and camping information is available at www.atticaracewaypark.com
O'Reilly All Star Circuit of Champions Statistical Report - Eldora Speedway 5-19-07
Qualifying - Huggins Cams
1. 4-Danny Smith, 13.640; 2. 2M-Dustin Daggett, 13.643; 3. 20E-Brian Ellenberger, 13.644; 4. 24H-Rob Chaney, 13.677; 5. 2-Dale Blaney, 13.701; 6. 8H-Shane Stewart, 13.702; 7. 11N-Ed Neumeister, 13.785; 8. 35-Ron Blair, 13.797; 9. W20-Greg Wilson, 13.799; 10. 7K-Dean Jacobs, 13.819; 11. 75-Ben Rutan, 13.837; 12. 11B-Brock Mayes, 13.856; 13. O9-Craig Mintz, 13.882; 14. 71M-Paul May, 13.897; 15. 9X-Kevin Huntley, 13.954; 16. 28-Brian Paulus, 13.970; 17. 11M-Brandon Martin, 13.981; 18. 5B-Chad Blonde, 14.017; 19. 6-Bill Rose, 14.101; 20. 6N-Jimmy Stinson, 14.106; 21. 16-Lee Stark, 14.174; 22. 82-Mike Miller, 14.283; 23. 34-Luke Hall, 14.453; 24. 11-Tyler Thompson, 14.613; 25. 9-Kent Wolters, 14.823; 26. 46FU-Randy Fusi, 16.072; 27. 2H-Dallas Hewitt, 16.297
Heat 1 - Crown Battery
1. 28-Brian Paulus; 2. 24H-Rob Chaney; 3. 7K-Dean Jacobs; 4. 4-Danny Smith; 5. 9-Kent Wolters; 6. 11N-Ed Neumeister; 7. 82-Mike Miller; 8. O9-Craig Mintz; 9. 6-Bill Rose;
Heat 2 - Hoosier Racing Tire
1. 11M-Brandon Martin; 2. 2-Dale Blaney; 3. 71M-Paul May; 4. 2M-Dustin Daggett; 5. 35-Ron Blair; 6. 6N-Jimmy Stinson; 7. 75-Ben Rutan; 8. 46FU-Randy Fusi; 9. 34-Luke Hall;
Heat 3 - Engler Machine & Tool
1. 11B-Brock Mayes; 2. 5B-Chad Blonde; 3. W20-Greg Wilson; 4. 9X-Kevin Huntley; 5. 8H-Shane Stewart; 6. 20E-Brian Ellenberger; 7. 16-Lee Stark; 8. 11-Tyler Thompson; 9. 2H-Dallas Hewitt;
All Star Dash
1. 24H-Rob Chaney; 2. 20E-Brian Ellenberger; 3. 2-Dale Blaney; 4. 8H-Shane Stewart; 5. 2M-Dustin Daggett; 6. 4-Danny Smith;
B-main - University of Northwest Ohio
1. 75-Ben Rutan; 2. 6-Bill Rose; 3. 16-Lee Stark; 4. 82-Mike Miller; 5. 11-Tyler Thompson; 6. 46FU-Randy Fusi; 7. 2H-Dallas Hewitt; 8. O9-Craig Mintz; 9. 34-Luke Hall;
A-main - MSD Ignition Starting Position [#]
1. 8H-Shane Stewart; 2. 24H-Rob Chaney; 3. 4-Danny Smith; 4. W20-Greg Wilson; 5. 11B-Brock Mayes; 6. 7K-Dean Jacobs; 7. 28-Brian Paulus; 8. 11M-Brandon Martin; 9. 2M-Dustin Daggett; 10. 20E-Brian Ellenberger; 11. 6-Bill Rose; 12. 75-Ben Rutan; 13. 5B-Chad Blonde; 14. 6N-Jimmy Stinson; 15. 35-Ron Blair; 16. 11-Tyler Thompson; 17. 16-Lee Stark; 18. 9-Kent Wolters; 19. 46FU-Randy Fusi; 20. 2-Dale Blaney; 21. 71M-Paul May; 22. 9X-Kevin Huntley; 23. 82-Mike Miller; 24. 2H-Dallas Hewitt; 25. 11N-Ed Neumeister