OLYMPIA, Washington A highly competitive field of cars are set to start the Wild West International Rally, Round ...
OLYMPIA, Washington A highly competitive field of cars are set to start the Wild West International Rally, Round #9 of the 2002 SCCA ProRally Championship (And the supporting Sou'wester and Simpson Stages SCCA ClubRallys) for the final West Coast swing of the year. Last year's rally in the forests of the Olympic Penninsula proved to be a dramatic battle of mechanical attrition, strategy, and some good ol' luck, with two independents taking 1st and 2nd and leaving the year's Overall Driver trophy up for grabs. This year looks to be no different, especially with the door for the Overall Manufacturer's Title being wide open as Hyundai clings to a mere 4 point lead over Subaru.
Late Breaking News:
· Weather: As with much of the western United States, this area of Washington State is very dry, and special efforts are being made to ensure the rally will be safe from fire. A heavy 20-minute deluge early Thursday evening that briefly flooded some highways has helped some, but not enough to keep the dust down, or to diminish the fire danger. Organizers met this morning, and have elected to grant all entries two-minute starting windows, with the top four (seed 0) entrants getting three-minute start intervals.
· Mark Nelson (110) is the surprise pre-event withdrawal of the event, irreparably damaging the motor of his Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI at the press stage. Nelson, who with veteran co-driver Charles Bradley has come so far this season, was tied with Rhys Millen for 4th place in the Overall Driver's Championship points race.
· With David Higgins leading the championship, a strong finish here will likely clinch the overall for the aspiring young rallyist from Wales. However, Mark Lovell, the 2001 champion, and David's brother Mark, in the works Subaru and Hyundai respectively, are not about to give David a bit of breathing space. Rumors abound that Ramana Lagemann, following his excellent finish at Ojibwe Forest, will be given a free reign this weekend to mix it up at the front, and Paul Choiniere, in the now very well sorted Hyundai Tiburon will be keeping the pressure on as well.
· The Hyundai Tiburon Media Car (190) makes another appearance this year, this time with veteran SCCA ProRally driver Garen Shrader at the helm, and actor/talk-show host Mario Lopez as co-driver. This is Lopez' first motorsports experience, and is looking forward to participating first-hand one in of America's fastest-growing motorsports, with the Championship's most successful and oldest teams, Hyundai's Libra Racing, captained by rally legend John Buffum.
· SCCA ProRally: http://www.sccaprorally.org
· Wild West official site: http://www.nwr-scca.org/rally/wildwest.html
Information regarding the start order list: Car # = number on vehicle. Car # under 200 are ProRally entries. Car # over 200 are generally ClubRally (regional) entrants. Class = Open, FIA Group N - fastest; are cars with considerable modifications; P (Production) - slowest; are cars very near to showroom stock configuration. G5 - two wheel drive high HP cars; G2 - two wheel drive normally aspirated cars; PGT - high horsepower all-wheel-drive production (stock) cars.
The SCCA name and logo is a registered trademark of the Sports Car Club of America, Inc. ProRally, ClubRally and RallyCross are service marks of the SCCA.
<pre> Wild West - SCCA ProRally Championship Round #9 6 September, 2002 ProRally Top 50 Start Order - Subject to revision (Balance of event entry list available to view at www.nwr-scca.org/rally/wildwest/o2entry.html
Srt Car Seed Class Driver Country Co-Driver Country Car 1 6 0 Open Paul Choiniere USA Jeff Becker USA 03 Hyundai Tiburon 2 1 0 Open Mark Lovell UK Steve Turvey UK 02 Subaru Impreza WRX 3 5 0 Open Mark Higgins UK Claire Mole UK 03 Hyundai Tiburon 4 16 0 Open David Higgins UK Daniel Barritt UK 02 Subaru Impreza WRX 5 3 1 Open Rhys Millen USA Garry Cowan NZ 02 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VII 6 2 1 Open Ramana Lagemann USA Michael Kidd UK 02 Subaru Impreza WRX 7 39 1 Open Carl Jardevall USA Amity Trowbridge USA 97 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IV 8 107 1 Open Tim Paterson USA John Allen USA 97 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IV 9 32 1 Open Paul Eklund USA Scott Huhn USA 02 Subaru Impreza WRX 10 22 1 GN Ralph Kosmides USA Jimmy Brandt USA 99 Subaru Impreza WRX-Sti 11 88 2 Open Doug Havir USA Scott Putnam USA 02 Subaru Impreza WRX 12 44 1 G5 Henry Krolikowski USA Cindy Krolikowski USA 02 Dodge Neon SRT-4 13 29 2 GN Tim O'Neil USA Martin Headland CAN 02 Subaru Impreza WRX 14 217 2 Open Janice Damitio USA Chris Davis USA 91 Eagle Talon TSi 15 51 2 G5 Jay Streets USA Matt Gauger USA 93 Volvo 740 Turbo 16 28 2 GN Bill Malik USA Dave Kean USA 01 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI 17 374 3 Open Leon Styles USA John Dillon USA 90 Audi S2 quattro 18 78 3 Open Paul Dunn USA Ben Bradley USA 97 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IV 19 102 3 Open Scott Trinder CAN Paul Westwick CAN 00 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS 20 103 3 GN Wyeth Gubelman USA Therin Pace USA 02 Subaru Impreza WRX 21 45 3 GN Shane Mitchell USA Paul Donnelly USA 02 Subaru Impreza WRX 22 94 3 GN Craig Peeper USA Alex Gelsomino USA 02 Subaru Impreza WRX 23 223 3 PGT Greg Lingelbach USA Steve Andrews USA 90 Eagle Talon TSi 24 207 3 G5 Dave Hintz USA Rick Hintz USA 90 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 25 210 3 G5 John Lane USA Tina Lingacher USA 85 Volvo 240 turbo 26 245 3 G5 Carey Wright USA David Kean USA 86 Mazda RX-7 27 90 3 G2 Lauchlin O'Sullivan USA Matt Chester USA 02 Mitsubishi Lancer RMR 28 42 3 G2 Eric Burmeister USA Eric Adams USA 01 Mazda Protégé MP3 29 201 3 G2 Todd Hartmann USA Shawn Callahan USA 92 VW Golf Gti 30 266 3 G2 Scott Fuller USA Jeff Call USA 96 VW Golf Gti 31 258 3 G2 David Schrenk USA Chad Little USA 76 SAAB 99 32 288 4 Open Gary Cavett USA Matt Van Bogart USA 95 Subaru Impreza 33 451 5 PGT Janusz Komorowski CAN Paul Nelson USA 92 Eagle Talon TSi 34 369 4 PGT Brian Scott USA David Hackett USA 92 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 35 283 4 G2 Nate Tennis USA Leon Owens USA 73 SAAB 99 36 216 5 Open Richard Buckner USA Jason Grahn USA 93 Subaru Impreza 37 268 5 Open Dave LaTourette USA Paul Beatty USA 98 VW New Beetle 38 306 5 GN Wolfgang Hoeck USA Julie Lin USA 02 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VII 39 252 5 PGT Robert Trinder CAN Bill Westhead CAN 98 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS 40 514 5 PGT Roland McIvor USA Bill Montgomery USA 95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 41 255 5 PGT Andy Sharples USA Julie Sharples USA 00 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS 42 271 5 PGT Matt Tabor USA Monika Tabor USA 89 Mazda 323 GTX 43 220 5 PGT Bruce Davis USA Lee Sorenson USA 92 Eagle Talon TSi 44 265 5 G2 Derek Adolf USA Jason Speer USA 94 Acura Integra 45 253 5 G2 Noah Third USA Jason Lane CN 88 VW Golf 46 225 5 G2 Mark Durley USA Allan McGuirl CAN 01 Ford Focus ZX3 47 227 5 G2 Derik Nelson USA Lea Flagg USA 88 Mazda 323 48 72 5 Prod Jon Hamilton USA Ken Sabo USA 00 VW Golf TDI 49 190 0 Prod Garen Shrader USA Mario Lopez USA 03 Hyundai Tiburon 50 68 5 Prod Eric Macaire USA Dennis Kask USA 00 Ford Focus ZX3
The SCCA ProRally Championship is presented by Hyundai, Mitsubishi and Subaru, and is televised in North America on SpeedChannel. Time and date listing information available at www.speedtv.com
-scca pro racing-