SCCA ProRally Championship Round ...
SCCA ProRally Championship Round #8 - Wild West
DENVER, CO: Eighth round (of ten) for the 2001 season. A record number SCCA and FIA Performance Rally cars are slated to start the Wild West SCCA ProRally; competing on fast and smooth gravel lumber roads in western Washington State. This performance rally event is sanctioned by the Sports Car Club of America.
When & Where: 07-08 September 2001; Olympia, WA; approximately 60 miles (80 kilometers) southwest of Seattle, Washington
Headquarters Hotel - Press Room; Event and Media registration West Coast Olympia, 2300 Evergreen Park Dr, Olympia, WA 98502 360.943.4000 <pre> Complete Event Schedule: (subject to change) Thursday, 6 September, 2001 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM Entrant registration at the West Coast Olympia Hotel - Olympia 4:00 AM - 8:00 PM Scrutineering - Corvette & High Performance Shop - 2840 Black Lake Blvd., Olympia 8:00 PM Subaru Welcome Party - West Coast Olympia Hotel - Olympia
Friday, 7 September, 2001 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM Auto GlasPro Press Stage - see details below 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM Entrant & Media registration at the West Coast Olympia Hotel 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM Scrutineering - Corvette & High Performance Shop - 2840 Black Lake Blvd., Olympia 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM Simpson Lumber Parc Expose - Downtown Shelton, WA 5:30 PM Start of Wild West SCCA ProRally Leg One - Downtown Shelton 11:30 PM (approximate) First car arrival - Finish of Leg One - West Coast Olympia Hotel 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM Press Room Open
Saturday, 8 September, 2001 9:00 AM Parc Expose - Downtown Shelton 9:30 AM Start of Wild West SCCA ProRally Leg Two - Downtown Shelton 7:00 PM (approximate) First car arrival - Finish of Leg Two - Shelton Moose Lodge 8:00 PM Post-event party and Prize Giving banquet - Moose Lodge - credentialed Press & VIPs invited
Friday Morning Press Stage Details
An informal opportunity for members of the working press to meet with the stars of SCCA ProRally, and see the cars contesting the SCCA ProRally Manufacturers' Championship. A press caravan will depart from the West Coast Olympia Hotel at 7:30 AM Sharp for the press stage location. A press/VIP van will be available on first come/first served basis. All attending Press must be Credentialed prior to leaving for the stage.
This is a closed press stage for Manufacturers Championship and select independently entered vehicles only, presented exclusively for registered members of the Press, Supporting Manufacturers representatives, Series Championship and specific team sponsors and VIP's. Rides in the rally cars are not guaranteed, and will be handled purely on a request basis with manufacturer teams and drivers.
Selected entries (driver/co-driver): · Paul Choiniere and Jeff Becker; SCCA Open Class 2000 Hyundai Tiburon - Multi-time overall SCCA ProRally National Champions Choiniere and Becker come to Wild West in an exceedingly rare condition for the team - 4th overall in Drivers/Co-Drivers points, and 3rd overall in Manufacturers points.
While an overall Drivers' Championship, with only three events remaining is a near mathematical impossibility, Hyundai, with some strong year-ending finishes, can still mount a significant charge for the Manufacturers title. No question, the outcome of this event, which Hyundai won last year, (Lawler/Bradley) will determine the company's strategy for the balance of the season.
· Subaru's new WRX's have been virtually unstoppable this season, and there is no reason to suspect that their impressive string of podiums and victories isn't sustainable. The Prodrive managed team shows top form at every event, and has the 2002 Group N Manufacturers championship already in the bag.
Top podium finishes from Lovell and Scheible this weekend have the potential to all but shut out the challengers.
· After a three-event hiatus, Richard Tuthill and John Bennie are back. The previously unknown in the US duo from the UK took the SCCA ProRally Championship by storm with an overall win at their debut event at Cherokee and 2nd place at Oregon Trail; by virtue of those finishes they are still placed 6th overall in the Drivers championship. Driving a fresh Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI, Tuthill and Bennie are rumoured to be committed to finish the balance of the season and as such, stand a very good chance of really shaking up the overall Championship chances for Mark Lovell and Seamus Burke.
· Seamus Burke and Frank Cunningham - the leading independent entries and a mere 9 points out of the top championship spot, will need a bit of luck to recapture the top of the leader board at Wild West; but, with their impressive "podium slot at every round" season, there isn't much that is out of these two gentleman's grasp.
This rally is a full points SCCA ProRally Championship event. Drivers earn points towards the national championship, and supporting manufacturers (Hyundai, Mazda, Subaru and Mitsubishi) earn points towards overall and class Manufacturers' Championships.
· SCCA ProRally: http://www.sccaprorally.org/
· SCCA Wild West ProRally: http://www.nwr-scca.org/rally/wildwest.html
The SCCA ProRally Championship is presented by Hyundai and Subaru