SCCA ProRally Championship Round ...
SCCA ProRally Championship Round #9 - Prescott Forest
DENVER, CO: Ninth round (of ten) for the 2001 season. This year's Prescott Forest event features new roads that promise a less punishing and faster ride for the drivers than in years past, but will still feature the spectacular scenery in the high desert and mountains surrounding Prescott and historic mining town of Jerome, AZ. This performance rally event is sanctioned by the Sports Car Club of America.
When & Where: 5-6 October; Prescott, AZ; approximately 100 miles (160 kilometers) northwest of Phoenix, Arizona
<pre> Complete Event Schedule: (subject to change) Friday, 05 October, 2001
8:00 AM - 4:00 PM Entrant and Media registration, - Prescott Resort - Prescott Scrutineering - Mt. Vernon Motor Works - Prescott 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM Parc Expose - Prescott Resort - Prescott 4:30 PM Start of Prescott Forest SCCA ProRally Leg One - Prescott Resort 11:00 PM (approximate) First car arrival - Finish of Leg One - Prescott Resort
Saturday, 06 October, 2001 9:00 AM Parc Expose - Prescott Fairgrounds 10:00 AM Start of Prescott Forest SCCA ProRally Leg Two - Fairgrounds - SuperSpecial 6:00 PM (approximate) First car arrival - Finish of Leg Two - Prescott Resort
Sunday, 07 October, 2001
9:00 AM Awards Breakfast - Prescott Resort
This rally is a full points SCCA ProRally Championship event. Drivers earn points towards the national championship, and supporting manufacturers (Hyundai, Toyota, Subaru and Mitsubishi) earn points towards overall and class Manufacturers' Championships.
Selected entries and Additional News (driver/co-driver):
· Prescott Forest is the traditional 'penultimate round' of the SCCA ProRally Championship, and therefore is often the scene of decisive moments that determine year-end class championships. 2001 may see several championships decided here, including the overall drivers championship and the coveted Woodner Cup for two wheel drive rallyists. o Currently, Seamus Burke leads Mark Lovell by a mere 6 points* for the overall, and Tad Ohtake leads David White by just two points* for the Woodner Cup. In the resurgent Production class, Tony Chavez leads rookie Craig Peeper by only 8 points*. For all of these drivers, a good weekend in Prescott could hand them the year-end awards - but a bad weekend for any of them will most certainly eliminate them from any chance at the season-ender just two weeks away at the Lake Superior ProRally in Houghton, Michigan.
· 2000 season champions Choiniere and Becker have had a rocky road defending their title, arriving at Prescott finds them in 5th place overall, wrestling with a nearly 70 point deficit to Burke. While a shot at the overall title is all but dashed; team boss John Buffum has considerable 'come from behind' will power, and the Choiniere/Becker team knows this rally - more than any of the top 10 entries, so there is a more than fair shot that the team could be standing in the third place points position leaving Prescott.
· To keep Choiniere's chances minimized, some shuffling of class entries has occurred in the Subaru camp. With his Group N championship mathematically sewn-up, Karl Scheible, and independent entry Ramana Lagemann; have both converted their Imprezas to SCCA Open class specification. While neither has any chance at an Open class title, their presence in the class is intended to serve as a block to both Hyundai and Mitsubishi; setting the stage for Prescott Forest to be the biggest manufacturer points brawl of the season - perhaps in the history of the SCCA ProRally Championship.
· The Group 5 battle will be one to watch, as Andrew Havas old school RX-7 goes up head to head again with class points leader Tad Ohtake in his new school supercharged Escort ZX-2. A similar battle of drivetrain configuration will be witnessed in Group 2 - with David White's Golf GTi up against the wild rock throwing Volvo of Bill Malik.
*These are 'un-adjusted numbers' - at the conclusion of the final round in two weeks, SCCA Drivers Championship rules dictate that only the best 7 events of the season will count towards the 2001 championship award. For drivers that entered more than 7 events, their points totals will be adjusted down, by dropping their weakest finishes.
· SCCA ProRally: http://www.sccaprorally.org/ · SCCA Prescott Forest ProRally: http://www.prescottforestrally.com