SCCA ProRally Championship - Ojibwe Forests Bemidji, Minnesota: A record eighty-four cars are entered in the 18th running of the Ojibwe Forests SCCA ProRally Championship event. All Championship manufacturers (Hyundai, Subaru, Mitsubishi, and ...
SCCA ProRally Championship - Ojibwe Forests
Bemidji, Minnesota: A record eighty-four cars are entered in the 18th running of the Ojibwe Forests SCCA ProRally Championship event. All Championship manufacturers (Hyundai, Subaru, Mitsubishi, and Mazda) are represented, featuring three of the reigning overall manufacturers championship Hyundais, 7 Mitsubishi Lancers, and an impressive armada of 14 Subaru Imprezas, including several new independently entered WRXs making their US rally debuts this weekend.
The two-day event will be held on closed to the public forestry service roads in the area south and west of Bemidji. The Rally starts tomorrow afternoon, from the Northern Inn headquarters hotel adjacent to the Bemidji/Beltrami Airport at 5:00 PM, following a 1-hour open to the public Parc Expose.
Selected late entries, news:
· The serious weather/health alert issued earlier this week may be - thankfully - unnecessary. A lucky, sudden, and dramatic change in weather patterns across the Midwest US has resulted in temperatures 20 or more degrees cooler than expected. The heat wave, responsible for several civilian deaths in Minnesota over the last 2 weeks has completely abated, and has also brought some much needed rain to the region.
· US and Canadian Production GT Champion Patrick Richard will be debuting his new, independently entered SCCA Open class Subaru Impreza turbo at Ojibwe. Richard, who drives for Subaru Rally Team Canada in the CARS rally series, has been developing this new car on the side, and is ready to give it its first 'shakedown' rally this weekend. Expecting to have some teething problems, Richard wants to get the car buttoned down now, in preparation for a September podium shot at Round #8 - the Wild West SCCA ProRally, in Olympia, WA.
· Top question of the day: Will this be a repeat of Seamus Burke's and Frank Cunningham's Really Excellent Weekend? The only team to stand on the podium at every event of the season, the duo broke their 3rd place duck at Round #5 - Susquehannock Trail with a smart 2nd place drive, then snapped up a convincing 1st overall finish at Round #6 - Maine Forest. The team, and the car, appear unstoppable, and drew a favorable 3rd on the road starting position. With some of the best rally road conditions of the season, and flawless car preparation, this dynamic duo is in an enviable position to let the rally come to them, while the rest of the pack slugs it out.
· The start order, due to the huge size of the field, has been condensed down to the top 50 teams for this release. The complete listing, with up to the minute updates, is available at the Ojibwe Forests website address shown below.
· SCCA ProRally: http://www.sccaprorally.org/
· SCCA Ojibwe Forests ProRally: http://www.ojibweforestsrally.com