Prescott Forest PRO Rally Round ...
Prescott Forest PRO Rally Round #8 - 1998 Michelin PRO Rally Championship Prescott, Arizona Notes - Friday, October 2, 1998
22. An important announcement from Replica Productions. Because of the ESPN NFL football package, the network is cancelling much of its motorsports programming for 1999, including the ESPN2 PRO Rally package. Fortunately, Replica Productions executive producer Doug Plumer, with the help of the SCCA, has negotiated a six-race deal with SPEEDVISION, the 24-hour auto racing/motorcycle racing/boat racing/airplane racing cable channel. A schedule of TV events will be announced later in the year after the PRO Rally Board determines the 1999 Michelin PRO Championship schedule (to be announced at the year- end banquet in Michigan).
23. The Lon Peterson/Peter Workman Group 5 Plymouth Arrow is not the 185- hp racer we're used to seeing, as that car is being completely rebuilt over the winter. For this event, Peterson will be driving John Moore's very stock Plymouth Arrow, with approx. 130 hp., although the car has Lonnie's suspension and some internal engine modifications.
24. With registration coming to a close, it looks like 37 cars will take the countdown this afternoon for the start of the rally (26 national cars, 11 divisional only - with 22 total running the divisional). The only question mark at this time
25. A close scrutiny of the Production class points reveals that Trevor Donison and Jay Kowalik are tied for the lead with 66 points each. We had previously reported that Donison had a two-point lead, and could clinch the championship by winning here this weekend. Now, if Donison wins Production here, he would have to get at least his two starting points at the D&N Bank Lake Superior event. Complicating the situation is the late entry of Roland McIvor's Nissan Sentra in the class, and Roland found a co-driver - Wild West organizer John Forespring - only 45 minutes before the start of the event. Now Donison has to beat McIvor to get those 22 points. Otherwise, Kowalik still has a chance to win the title at Lake Superior.
26. 36 cars started the 11th running of the Prescott Forest PRO Rally. The one DNF (he crossed the start line backwards in order to get his two starting points) was the Garen Shrader/Doc Shrader Ford Sierra Cosworth. While testing the car this morning, the car popped a half- shaft out of place, and popped the replacement out less than 100 yards later. With no more parts and no more time - the car was towed into Parc Ferme as the other cars were starting - the team was forced to take a DNF. Garen's two starting points put him in line to win the Rookie of the Year award (best overall points for a seed six driver).
27. The cars will run four stages tonight (Friday), with a re-seed after two stages at the Mill Restaurant service in Crown King - a very old mining town in a remote area south of Prescott. They will run 44 of the 108 stage miles, with dusty conditions probably requiring two or three minutes start intervals during the night.
28. Shortly after the beginning of stage #1, one of the rally cars went off the course, and a driver was injured. A helicopter has transported the driver to a hospital - no confirmation of which one - and the Friday stages have all been cancelled. We don't have confirmation of any further details at this early time. We will release additional information as soon as we have it.
Round #8 - 1998 Michelin PRO Rally Championship PRESCOTT FOREST PRO RALLY - Prescott, AZ Final Entry/Start List
Start Car Driver/ Co-Driver/ Make/Model/Class/ Pos. No. Hometown Hometown Division/Tires
1 1 Paul Choiniere Jeff Becker Hyundai Tiburon/Open Shelburne, VT Great Neck, NY National/Michelin
2 3 Carl Merrill Lance Smith Ford Escort Cosworth/Open Ogunquit, ME Colchester, VT National/Michelin
3 16 Dave Summerbell Michael Fennell Mitsubishi Lancer Kingston, Jamaica Kington, Jamaica Evolution IV/Open
4 43 Mike Whitman Paula Gibeault Ford Sierra Cosworth Farmington, NM Ridgecrest, CA National/Michelin
5 18 Noel Lawler Charles Bradley Hyundai Elantra/Open Manchester, VT Atlanta, GA National/Michelin
6 30 Hiroyuki Genta Kazmasa Takata Subaru Impreza/Open Kyoto, JAPAN Kyoto, JAPAN National/Dunlop
7 6 Steve Gingras Eric Carlson Eagle Talon/PGT Elk River, MN Oregon, WI Nat./Div./Michelin
8 11 Ralph Kosmides Joe Noyes Toyota Supra/Group 5 Newport Beach, CA Bothell, WA National/Michelin
9 22 Dave White W. David Watts VW GTI/Group 2 Benicia, CA Carson City, NV Nat./Div./Michelin
10 8 Bill Malik Christian Edstrom Volvo 240/Group 2 Burbank, CA Los Angeles, CA Nat./Div./Michelin
11 55 Tony Takaori Ken Cassidy Mitsubishi Lancer Evo III Kyoto, JAPAN Tempe, AZ National/Falken Open
12 17 Janice Damitio Amity Trowbridge Toyota Celica GT4/Open Montesano, WA Seattle, WA Nat./Div./Michelin
13 27 Roger Hull Sean Gallagher Eagle Talon/PGT Prescott, AZ Santa Ana, CA National/Goodyear
14 119 Lon Peterson Peter Workman Plymouth Arrow/Group 5 Victorville, CA Calgary, ALB Nat./Div./Michelin
15 14 Garen Shrader Doc Shrader Ford Sierra Cosworth/Open W. Memphis, AK W. Memphis, AK National/Michelin
16 117 Ken Stewart Jim Dale Chevy S-10 Pickup/Open Grove, OK Conway, AK Nat./Div./Cooper
17 15 Carl Jardevall John Elkin Volvo 740/Group 5 San Carlos, CA Portland, OR Nat./Div./Michelin
18 35 Lee Shadbolt Paul Eklund Subaru Impreza/Prod. GT Tigard, OR Tigard, OR National/Michelin 19 25 Fred Ronn John Dillon Toyota Celica/Group 2 Agoura, CA Thousand Oaks, CA Nat./Div.
20 66 Doug Robinson Chris Beavis Mazda RX-7/Group 5 Ramona, CA Ridgecrest, CA Nat./Div.
21 16 Tom Bier Ole Holter Saab 99/Group 2 Solano Beach, CA Long Beach, CA Nat./Div.
22 88 Kendall Russell Lynn Dillon Dodge Charger/PGT Knoxville, TN Indianapolis, IN National/Michelin 23 45 Arthur Odero-Jowi Farina O'Sullivan Mitsubishi Eclipse/PGT Arlington, TX San Fran., CA Nat./Div./Michelin
25 7 Sergei Bellesov Catherine Roso Mazda 626/Group 2 Mexico, ME Portland, OR National/Michelin
24 21 Trevor Donison John Allen Plymouth Neon/Production Vancouver, WA Bainbridge Is., Wash. Nat./Div./Michelin
25 82 Roland McIvor John Forespring Nissan Sentra/Production Bessemer, AL Olympia, WA National/Michelin
Divisional Only 4 Ron Wood Kelly Walsh Audi Quattro/4WD Costa Mesa, CA Costa Mesa, CA Divisional
77 Harris Done Ray Hocker Mazda RX-7/02 Santa Monica, CA Ridgecrest, CA Divisional
323 Paul Timmerman Suzanne Martin Mazda 323GTX/04 Pasadena, CA Pasadena, CA Divisional
601 Randy Holland Jack Whittington Ford F-150 Pickup/02 Billings, MT Billings, MT Divisional
5 Mark Brown Shane Polhamus Toyota Corolla/U2 Mesa, AZ Mesa, AZ Divisional
28 Bobbi Whitman Bill Gutzmann Datsun 510/02 Farmington, NM Ontario, CA Divisional
222 Cable Rhodes Tyler Rhodes Mazda RX-7/02 Prescott, AZ Prescott, AZ Divisional
24 Mick Kilpatrick Jim Gillaspy Dodge Colt Turbo/02 Durango, CO Durangom CO Divisional
50 Eric Oyague Alfredo Oyague Toyota Corolla/U2 Van Nuys, CA Northridge, CA Divisional
52 Steve Bender Craig McHugh VW Rabbit/U2 Corona del Mar, CA Irvine, CA Divisional
93 Neal Gaborno Patti Scott Mitsubishi Pickup/U2 Prembroke, MA Montrose, CA Divisional