SCCA ProRally Championship -- Oregon Trail ProRally Second round (of nine) for the 2000 season. SCCA and FIA Performance Rally cars from across North America will compete on demanding mud and gravel roads along the northwestern Oregon ...
SCCA ProRally Championship -- Oregon Trail ProRally
Second round (of nine) for the 2000 season. SCCA and FIA Performance Rally cars from across North America will compete on demanding mud and gravel roads along the northwestern Oregon shoreline. This event is sanctioned by the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA).
When & Where: April 15-16, 2000; Tillamook, Oregon
Saturday, April 15, 2000
8:00 AM - 12:00 noon Registration - Shilo Inn
8:00 AM - 12:00 noon Scrutineering - Les Schwab Tire (open to public)
1:00 PM - 2:30 PM Parc Expose (ProRally & ClubRally cars on display) Tillamook Blimp Hanger (open to public)
2:30 PM sharp First car starts Rally-includes on-site RallyCross - Tillamook Blimp Hanger
9:30 PM approx. First car finishes day one of Oregon Trail ProRally
Sunday, April 16, 2000
8:00 AM sharp First car starts Day two - Oregon Trail ProRally - Shilo Inn
1:00 PM approx. First car finishes Day two - Oregon Trail ProRally - Swiss Hall
2:00 PM Awards luncheon - Swiss Hall
Events in the SCCA ProRally Championship consist of flat-out competition, in any weather, on challenging forest, mountain or desert roads. SCCA Performance Rally events follow a basic rally format similar to that used around the globe. However, USA events do not allow for on course practice (recces). Competitors generally see the course for the first time as they race it.
Racing takes place only on "special stages," using demanding back roads closed by local authorities for the event. "Transits" connect the "special stage" sections together and are driven at normal highway speeds, with teams fully subject to all traffic laws.
SCCA Performance Rally vehicles are production-based cars and trucks from manufacturers around the world. They compete both for the overall victory and wins within a class structure that groups together vehicles with similar performance.
Each vehicle carries a driver and a co-driver/navigator. Using a detailed route book and a sophisticated rally computer, the co-driver keeps the team on-course and advises the driver of any hazards ahead. This role is as critical as the driver's skill, since the team is traveling at full racing speeds over roads they have never before seen, in any type of weather.
Selected entries (driver/co-driver):
* 1999 Overall Manufacturer, Driver & Co-Driver Champions Noel Lawler & Charles Bradley; Open Class Hyundai Tiburon (debut of new 2000 model car)
* Seven-time US champion Paul Choiniere and six-time co-driver champion Jeff Becker; Open Class Hyundai Tiburon (also in a new 2000 model car)
* Current 1999 GT (Japan) drivers Champion and Nissan (Lemans) works driver Erik Comas, with co-driver Julian Masters; FIA Group N 1998 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IV
* Canadian Snowboarding Champions and young rally phenomenon Patrick Richard with co-driver Ian McCurdy; Production GT Class 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
* 1998 Group 5 Driver Champion (and 1999 runner-up) Ralph Kosmides with new co-driver Ken Cassidy; 1996 Toyota Supra turbo
* Manufacturers Championship is heating up - Mitsubishi joins the points race, Hyundai debuts two new cars, debut of new Group A Subaru Impreza, Toyota represented with two Group 5 Supra Turbos.
* The entire Oregon Trail event is held within a 50 mile radius of Tillamook. The hotel, Blimp Hanger display/start area, scrutineering location and awards luncheon location are all within 3 miles of each other on the same road (Main Street).
* The 2000 season marks the return of globally recognized, FIA classed, performance rally vehicles to the USA. The FIA cars will run under full FIA technical regulations, and compete for a separate year-long, FIA cars only championship.
Oregon Trail returns to the 9-event SCCA ProRally Championship for the first time since 1984. Drivers at this event earn points towards the national championship, and supporting manufacturers (Hyundai, Toyota, Subaru and Mitsubishi) earn points towards overall and class MFG Championships.