SCCA ProRally Championship - Round ...
SCCA ProRally Championship - Round #7 - Ojibwe Forests
DENVER, CO: Seventh round (of ten) for the 2001 season. A huge 85 car field, the third record breaking entry list in as many events, of SCCA and FIA Performance Rally cars are slated to start the Ojibwe Forests SCCA ProRally; competing on fast and smooth state Forestry roads in northwestern Minnesota. This performance rally event is sanctioned by the Sports Car Club of America.
When & Where:
17-18 August 2001; Bemidji, MN;
approximately 180 miles (275 kilometers)
northwest of Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Northern Inn and Convention Center
Adjacent to Bemidji-Beltrami Airport,
Bemidji, MN 56601
Media & Fan Reception - Wednesday 15 August - Minnetonka, MN
Morrie's Subaru, an authorized reseller of Subaru automobiles, will be hosting a reception for the media and performance rally fans at their dealership on Wednesday evening, from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM. This is an excellent opportunity for the media to meet the lead drivers, co-drivers and view the top running Subaru automobiles in the SCCA ProRally Championship.
Minnetonka is approximately 10 miles west of downtown Minneapolis. Scheduled to be on-hand will be the Subaru Rally Team USA (and current overall points leaders) 2002 Impreza WRXs of Mark Lovell and Karl Scheible.
Other Subaru rally cars on hand will include Paul Eklund's SCCA Open class 1995 Impreza; Lee Shadbolt's turbocharged 2.0 Litre 1998 Impreza, and Henry and Cindi Krolikowski's Prodrive built Impreza WRX-STi. A host of non-Subaru performance rally cars, including Michael Halley's famous VW 'Cute Car' New Beetle from the television commercials (now renamed the 'Stud Bug'), and Mark Utecht's class leading Mitsubishi Eclipse will be on display as well.
Complete Event Schedule: (subject to change)
Wednesday, 15 August, 2001
6:00 PM - 9:00 PM Subaru Media Reception - Morrie's Subaru - Minnetonka, MN
Thursday, 16 August, 2001
7:00 PM - 11:00 PM "Triple Caution" RallyCross - Bemidji Speedway - open to public
Friday, 17 August, 2001
9:00 AM - 3:00 PM Entrant and Media registration at the Northern Inn - Bemidji
9:00 AM - 4:00 PM Scrutineering - Chalet Center Car Wash - 703 Paul Bunyan Dr.
5:30 PM Start of Ojibwe Forests SCCA ProRally Leg One - Northern Inn
12:30 AM Approximate first car arrival - Finish of Leg One - Northern Inn
12:30 AM - 2:00 AM Pizza Party - credentialed Press & VIPs invited - Northern Inn
Saturday, 18 August, 2001
9:00 AM - 11:00 AM Press Room open, Late Press Registration
12:00 Noon Start of Ojibwe Forests ProRally Leg Two - Bemidji Speedway
3:45 PM - 8:00 PM Service Area Open - location of spectator stage* - NJK Ranch - Akeley
9:00 PM Approximate first car arrival - Finish of Leg Two - Northern Inn
10:00 PM - 2:00 AM Awards Banquet - Northern Inn
Selected entries (driver/co-driver):
· 2001 Sno*Drift overall winners and 7-time overall champion team of Paul Choiniere and Jeff Becker; SCCA Open Class 2000 Hyundai Tiburon.
· 1999 Overall Manufacturer, Driver and Co-Driver Champions Noel Lawler & Charles Bradley; SCCA Open Class 2000 Hyundai Tiburon .
· 2001 Overall points leader, Mark Lovell, with Steve Turvey, SCCA Open Class 2002 Subaru WRX.
· 6-time 2001 podium finisher and 2nd place overall point holder, Seamus Burke with 1st place overall co-driver points leader Frank Cunningham, 2000 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI.
· Overall winner of the 2000 Rim of the World and Susquehannock Trail events, 2001 Gr N points leaders, Karl Scheible with Brian Maxwell, FIA Gr N 2002 Subaru WRX.
Additional news interest: · The rally features two special spectator stages on Saturday, the first at start at the Bemidji Speedway, and the other combined with the afternoon service area at a local area cattle ranch. All will offer excellent viewing opportunities, and spectator amenities including food service and comfort facilities.
· Heat is expected to be a major factor at this year, with much of the mid-west USA under the siege of a fierce heat wave that has lasted several weeks. The SCCA's National Safety Steward, Dr. Floyd Shrader, has posted a health advisory and steps are being taken to ensure the well-being of the competitors. Spectators and Press are advised to bring plenty of drinking water.
· Mazda officially joins the Manufacturers Championship at Ojibwe Forests, with the debut of their new Protégé MP3 rally car. Built by Burmeister Motorsports of Dearborn Heights, MI, the all-new car shares its appearance and several key performance components with the manufacturer's highly successful SCCA World Challenge series road-race cars. The car, built from the ground up for SCCA Group 2 (2 wheel drive, under 2.4 litre) competition, will re-establish the former championship winning automaker in SCCA rally competition. Mazda's last overall SCCA ProRally championship was earned by multi-time SCCA ProRally drivers champion Rod Millen, in 1989.
Event Rank: This rally is a full points SCCA ProRally Championship event. Drivers earn points towards the national championship, and supporting manufacturers (Hyundai, Subaru, Mazda and Mitsubishi) earn points towards overall and class Manufacturers' Championships.
Time zone at event: Central Daylight Time (GMT - 6 hours)
SCCA ProRally: http://www.sccaprorally.org/
SCCA Ojibwe Forest ProRally: http://www.ojibweforestsrally.com
The SCCA ProRally Championship is presented by Hyundai and Subaru