SCCA ProRally Championship - Lake Superior HOUGHTON, Michigan With nearly 90 highly competitive cars ready to attack the challenging forestry and International Paper Company logging roads of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, this year's running of...
SCCA ProRally Championship - Lake Superior
HOUGHTON, Michigan With nearly 90 highly competitive cars ready to attack the challenging forestry and International Paper Company logging roads of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, this year's running of the Lake Superior Rally is one of the largest ever, despite nearly all year-end class championships being already decided. In addition to nearly every star of the SCCA ProRally Championship being on-hand, newly crowned British Rally Champion Jonny Milner with Nicky Beech, will also be mixing it up at the front of this impressive field of rally cars.
Late Breaking News:
* Schedule Change: The Start of the Lake Superior Rally has been relocated to Houghton. Originally scheduled to start in Baraga, the organizers made some adjustments to the schedule to accommodate the large field and the Houghton/Hancock based fans. The start, scheduled for 1:00 PM, is now located at the intersection of M-26 and Sharon Ave just south of downtown.
* Its all about the Weather: It has been several years since the Lake Superior Rally has had weather traditional to what is expected at this time of year. At this northernmost tip of Michigan, it appears that the "heat-wave" is officially over - snow and sleet has been falling intermittently for nearly a week on the Keweenaw, and isn't showing any signs of stopping for the rally. While not nearly enough has fallen for crews to be considering snow tires, the bone-chilling damp weather will tax the energy and concentration of service crews, particularly at Friday night's late service in the remote hamlet of Kenton.
* Manufacturer Strategies: Subaru wants to win the Overall Manufacturers Championship in the worst way, and is stacking the deck with UK rally stars Tapio Laukkanen and Jonny Milner. While neither is nominated to earn points for the company, they are in a position to 'lend a hand' to the championship points underdog. 5-time Overall Manufacturers Champion Hyundai, ceded the crown to Subaru in 2001, but has since rose to the challenge, debuting all-new from the ground up Tiburons in 2002, and leads the championship going into this final round.
* Adding to the international flair this weekend are returning Lithuanian rallyists Valdemaras Maciukevicius and co-driver Rolandas Zube. This is their second SCCA ProRally; the duo made their successful debut at Ojibwe Forests in August, and were impressed enough with American rallying to trade in their FIA licenses for SCCA cards.
* Streamed audio (Windows Media Player/Quicktime compatible) of live radio (97.7 FM - Houghton local) reports from the start, finish and service locations throughout the weekend will be available to listen at the Lake Superior website listed below.
* SCCA ProRally: www.sccaprorally.org
* Lake Superior official site: www.lsprorally.com
Information regarding the start order list:
Car # number on vehicle. Car # under 200 are ProRally entries. Cars numbered over 200 are generally ClubRally (regional) entrants. Class Open, FIA Group N - fastest; are cars with considerable modifications; P (Production) - slowest; are cars very near to showroom stock configuration. G5 - two wheel drive high HP cars; G2 - two wheel drive normally aspirated cars; PGT - high horsepower all-wheel-drive production (stock) cars.
The SCCA name and logo is a registered trademark of the Sports Car Club of America, Inc. ProRally, ClubRally and RallyCross are service marks of the SCCA.
Lake Superior - SCCA ProRally Championship Round #10
ProRally Top 40 Start Order - Subject to revision
(Balance of event entry list available to view at www.lsprorally.com) <pre> St # Seed Class Driver C Co-Driver C Car 1 5 0 Open Mark Higgins UK Brian Thomas UK 03 Hyundai Tiburon 2 15 0 Open Jonny Milner UK Nicky Beech UK 01 Subaru Impreza WRX 3 1 0 Open Mark Lovell UK Steve Turvey UK 02 Subaru Impreza WRX 4 3 0 Open Rhys Millen USA Garry Cowan NZ 02 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI.5 5 25 0 Open Seamus Burke USA Fulton Grant IRE 02 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI.5 6 6 0 Open Paul Choiniere USA John Bennie UK 03 Hyundai Tiburon 7 16 0 Open David Higgins UK Daniel Barritt UK 02 Subaru Impreza WRX 8 14 0 Open Tapio Laukkanen FIN Rory Kennedy IRE 01 Subaru Impreza WRX 9 2 1 Open Ramana Lagemann USA Mike Kidd UK 02 Subaru Impreza WRX 10 4 1 Open Lauchlin O'Sullivan USA Matt Chester USA 02 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII 11 52 1 Open Doug Shepherd USA Peter Gladysz USA 92 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 12 50 1 Open Steve Gingras USA Christian Edstrom USA 02 Subaru Impreza WRX 13 22 1 GN Ralph Kosmides USA Jimmy Brandt USA 99 Subaru Impreza WRX-STi 14 44 1 GN Henry Krolikowski USA Cindy Krolikowski USA 00 Subaru Impreza WRX-STi 15 116 1 GN Thomas Lawless USA Brian Sharkey USA 97 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IV 16 41 2 Open John Drislane USA Ronan Burke USA 00 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI 17 88 2 Open Doug Havir USA Scott Putnam USA 99 Subaru Impreza 18 30 2 Open George Plsek USA Alex Gelsomino USA 01 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI 19 21 2 Open Chris Czyzio USA Eric Carlson USA 91 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 20 29 2 GN Tim O'Neil USA Martin Headland CAN 02 Subaru Impreza WRX 21 83 2 GN Mark Utecht USA Jeff Secor USA 02 Subaru Impreza WRX 22 45 2 GN Shane Mitchell USA Paul Donnelly USA 02 Subaru Impreza WRX 23 62 2 G5 Chris Havas USA Dave Kean USA 02 VW Golf IV 24 78 3 Open Paul Dunn USA Ray Summers USA 97 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IV 25 501 3 Open Todd Jarvey USA Rich Faber USA 92 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 26 173 3 Open Patrick Lilly USA Mark McAllister USA 99 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IV 27 122 3 Open Dennis Martin USA Kim DeMotte USA 97 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IV 28 527 3 Open Chris Gilligan USA Eric Holdorf USA 92 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 29 94 3 GN Craig Peeper USA Ian Bevan UK 02 Subaru Impreza WRX 30 432 3 GN Ron Nelson USA Rick Burtis USA 02 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VII 31 565 3 GN Russell Hodges USA Mike Rossey USA 95 Subaru Impreza 32 93 3 G5 Bob Olson USA Conrad Ketelsen USA 93 Porsche 911 33 53 3 G5 Don Jankowski USA Ken Nowak USA 03 Dodge Neon SRT-4 34 575 3 G5 Jeremy Butts USA Jonathan Vrzal USA 93 Ford Mustang 5.0 35 55 3 G5 Brian Vinson USA Richard Beels USA 97 Toyota Supra 36 166 3 G5 John Daubenmier USA Stanley Rosen USA 88 Chevrolet S10 37 42 3 G2 Eric Burmeister USA Eric Adams USA 01 Mazda Protege MP3 39 98 3 G2 Bob Nielsen USA Brenda Lewis USA 87 VW Golf GTI 38 811 3 G2 Matt Johnson USA Carl Fisher USA 88 VW Golf GTI 40 86 3 P Michael Halley USA Bill Montgomery USA 99 VW New Beetle
The SCCA ProRally Championship is presented by Hyundai, Mitsubishi and Subaru, and is televised in North America on SpeedChannel. Time and date listing information available at www.speedtv.com
-scca pro rally-