<pre> BFGoodrich* Tires At A Glance - Trans-Am Series June 16, Motorcity 100 Presented by Johnson Controls Tenneco Automotive Grand Prix of Detroit, Belle Isle, Mich. </pre> * Trans-Am Competes in Motor City - The Trans-Am...
<pre> BFGoodrich* Tires At A Glance - Trans-Am Series June 16, Motorcity 100 Presented by Johnson Controls Tenneco Automotive Grand Prix of Detroit, Belle Isle, Mich. </pre>
* Trans-Am Competes in Motor City - The Trans-Am Series for the BFGoodrich* Tires Cup will once again be the Saturday afternoon feature race at the Grand Prix of Detroit. Contested on the 2.35 mile, 14-turn street circuit on Belle Isle, the race will be Trans-Am's 17th consecutive Detroit appearance.
* CBS to Televise Trans-Am - The first of three nationally-televised Trans-Am races this season on CBS Sports, the Motorcity 100 will be broadcast tape-delayed on Sunday, June 17 at 5:00 p.m. EDT. CBS is also scheduled to televise the Cleveland and Sears Point races.
* Tires to Get "Total Body Workout" - The Belle Isle circuit's long straightaways, short chutes, rough and bumpy surface, and abruptly changing grip levels make the course one of the most challenging on the tour. It will require the maximum in durability and handling from the BFGoodrich* g-ForceTM T/A* radials.
"Getting around Belle Isle is a series of hard-on-the-brakes, turn, then hard-on-the-gas movements," said Gary Blalock, lead engineer for BFGoodrich Tires. "When a driver gets on the brakes for one of the 14 corners, it works the front tires, building up heat and pressure. Almost immediately after getting through the corner, the driver steps on the gas, transferring the pressure and heat to the back tires. From a tire's perspective, it is the equivalent of a total body workout."
* Detroit, Trans-Am and Muscle Cars - The Trans-Am Series' heritage is closely intertwined with that of the Motor City. Trans-Am racing grew from the battle of the Detroit muscle cars: the Chevy Corvette and Camaro and the Ford Mustang. These marques, which continue to make up the bulk of the Trans-Am Series field, have been joined by international super stars such as the Jaguar XKR and Qvale Mangusta and American newcomers the Panoz Esperante and the Dodge Viper.
* Crowded Leaderboard for BFGoodrich* Tires Cup - With three consecutive top five finishes, Johnny Miller (78 points) currently holds a one point lead over Lou Gigliotti for the BFGoodrich Tires Cup. Close challengers include Tommy Archer (74 points), Paul Gentilozzi (67 points) and defending BFGoodrich Tires Cup Champion, Brian Simo (63 points).
* Michigan Drivers/Teams in Detroit Field - Paul Gentilozzi, Lansing, a two-time Trans-Am champion and defending Detroit race winner; Don Sak, West Bloomfield, his 16th consecutive Trans-Am season. Randy Ruhlman's Preformed Line Products Shop is located in Wixom and Tommy Archer's Motorcity True Performance/Cinjo Racing Team is in Clinton Township.