Round 9 of Rally America Championship Returns To Lake Superior Performance Rally Houghton, MI (October 2, 209) -- For the last 5 years the 9th and final round of the Rally America Championship Series will return to picturesque Lake Superior ...
Round 9 of Rally America Championship Returns To Lake Superior Performance Rally
Houghton, MI (October 2, 209) -- For the last 5 years the 9th and final round of the Rally America Championship Series will return to picturesque Lake Superior Performance Rally (LSPR) in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan on October 16th and 17th.
The peak of Fall colors will be in full force providing a striking backdrop to rally cars tackling the tough gravel roads and the famous Brockway Mountain Stage, a perennial favorite among some the nation's top rally drivers.
Leading up to LSPR, the 2009 Rally America Championship Series provided no shortage of memorable moments and LSPR promises to deliver even more spectacular stories. LSPR will see the return of many X Games superstars to the local area to compete for top honors and a final push for Championship points.
At LSPR, the most notable stories are:
* Subaru Rally Team USA driver, Travis Pastrana from Davidsonville, MD, mathematically won his 4th Rally America Championship in a row at the Ojibwe Forests Rally in lat August. However, his competitive spirit will not allow him to take it easy at LSPR as he seeks his 6th overall win this season.
* 2nd and 3rd place overall is still up for grabs at LSRP! Ken Block, Andi Mancin, and Andrew Comrie-Picard (all X Games rally car racing competitors) will battle it out for the final two podium spots.
* Only 20 points separate the top three drivers in the highly entertaining Super Production Class. 22 points awarded to first place will be all Jimmy Keeney, Pat Moro, and Piotr Wiktorczyk will need to secure the class win after a much deserved LSPR finish!
* Subaru Rally Team USA driver, Ken Block from Ranch Sante Fe, CA, typically competes in the top Open Class. However, due to complications at the Ojibwe Forests Rally in August he will return to compete in the Super Production Class car normally driven by Subaru Rally Team USA teammate and BMX legend, Dave Mirra. Ken used the same Super Production car at last month's event, Rally Colorado, and won three stages despite driving a less powerful car and before his rally ended in a mechanical failure. Expect Ken to repeat his success at LSPR considering he won this event in 2008!
* 17-year-old, Dillon Van Way from Carencro, LA, in his first season as a national competitor showed enough talent and tenacity to be just 1 point away from winning his first-ever National 2 Wheel-Drive championship.
LSPR is one of the most revered rally events in the nation by competitors alike due to a great local organizing committee and extremely challenging roads. The mystique surrounding this event have been graced by many U.S. and international rally drivers, such as 11-time US rally champion John Buffum, Mark Lovell, Travis Pastrana, Ken Block and Mark Higgins
The event is headquartered in Houghton, MI and competition will take place as far as Kenton and Copper Harbor. As the Fall season sets in over the Upper Peninsula, frigid Lake Superior temperatures have been known to bring unpredictable weather conditions ranging from rain, snow, and occasional sun breaks to complicate rally team strategies.
Fans will be given the opportunity to meet the drivers and take pictures of the cars at the two Parc Exposes, which take place on Friday, October 16th at the Country Inn & Suites in Houghton, and on Saturday, October 17th in downtown Calumet. More information can be found on www.lsprorally.com or http://rally-america.com/events/2009/LSPR/
Rally America will also host the season ending National Championship Awards Banquet presented by BFGoodrich Tires at the Rockhouse Grill & Tavern on Sunday, October 18th from 9:00am -- 12:00pm in Houghton, MI. Rally America will officially announce the Rally of the Year, Rookie of the Year, and the champions of each car class. The nation's top rally teams and competitors will be on hand to receive their awards before going into the off-season. Ticket sales and more information can be found at www.rally-america.com.
Considered the extreme sport of automobile racing, rally car racing is often described simply as "real cars, real roads, real fast." This all-season motorsport sees drivers and their co-drivers take modified road cars to the limit as they achieve blistering speeds over courses that cover more than 100 miles of gravel, dirt or snow-covered roads. Among the marques typically represented in Rally America events are Subaru, Mitsubishi, Dodge, Ford and Volkswagen.
Top teams in the Rally America National Championship series are also invited to compete in ESPN's annual Summer X Games competition, the leading action sports event broadcast live on ABC and ESPN. Ten top teams were invited to this past August's contest.
For more information regarding Rally America, Inc. or to reserve tickets for the 2009 Rally America National Rally Championship Awards Banquet presented by BFGoodrich scheduled for Sunday, October 18, 2009, call (763) 553-2742 or visit www.rally-america.com for details.