Press Notes 36-68, Friday 17 October, 1997 36. Good morning and welcome to Day 3 of the NAPA Auto Parts Octoberfest at Sebring International Speedway. Action gets underway this morning at 9:10 am with qualifying for the Black Magic Series...
Press Notes 36-68, Friday
17 October, 1997
36. Good morning and welcome to Day 3 of the NAPA Auto Parts Octoberfest at Sebring International Speedway. Action gets underway this morning at 9:10 am with qualifying for the Black Magic Series cars - practice for the Exxon World Sports Car Championship cars is 11:15 am-noon with the Exxon Supreme GT Series Presented by Virgin Interactive race begins at 1 pm and will be 1 hour and 45 minutes - the 3-hour SPEEDVISION Cup race begins at 5 pm. It is the final event of the season and will decide three of the four Class championships.
37. ENTRY LIST CHANGES
Exxon World SportsCar Championship CAR CHANGE 3 ADD Rob Morgan/Conway, Ariz., Dean Hall/Squaw Valley, Calif. 16 DELETE Butch Leitzinger, elliott-forbes Robinson 20 DELETE John Paul, Jr.
Exxon Supreme GT Series Presented by Virgin Interactive CAR CLASS CHANGE 76 GTS-3 add Cort Wagner/Los Angeles, Calif., DELETE Aaron Hsu
SPPEDVISION Cup CAR CLASS CHANGE 29 GS ADD Kemit Upton III/Ludlow, Vt. 57 T ADD Frank Delo Vecchio/Winchester, Va.
38. 9:16 am, GREEN FLAG drops to start 30-minute qualifying session for Black Magic Series - .qualifying a few minutes late starting because of foggy conditions - #83 Mike Davies sets early best lap - #10 David Tenney overtakes Davies with lap of 2:27.618 but Davies counters with lap of 2:27.189 10 minutes into the session and then Tenney lowers the time again - 9:30 am Davies turns lap of 2:25.540 - 92.62 mph - and then drops time again at 9:35 am to 2:25.390 on Lap 7 - CHECKERED FLAG drops at 9:44 am to end session.
39. Top three qualifiers are #83 Mike Davies, #10 David Tenney, #42 Mike Anderson - #83 Mike Davies leads the series going into final race of the season.
40. DRIVER QUOTE: Mike Davies, pole-sitter in Black Magic Series: "The car setup for Sebring this weekend is really different that we had here in March because now you have three different kinds of race srufaces. You have concrete patches, asphalt and straight concrete to deal with and the traction over those surfaces varies greatly. The changes in the track configuration also means the dominant turns are no longer 100 mph - there's only one of those now (Turn 1) - but I really like the new layout."
41. 11:15 am, GREEN FLAG drops to start 45-minute practice session for Exxon World SportsCar Championship - #20 Dyson Racing Ford R&S MK III (Leitzinger/Elliott Forbes-Robinson) records fastest lap early in session with time of 1:59.146 - 113.55 mph, followed by teammate #16 with Weaver/Paul - BLACK FLAG stops session at 11:38 am when #28 Oldsmobile Spice spins at Turn 16 - GREEN FLAG drops at 11:45 am to restart the session - CHECKERED FLAG drops to end session - Dyson Racing Ford R&S MK IIIs fastest in session - #20 turns in lap of 1:57.859 - 114.78 mph, followed by #16 with lap of 1:57.943 - 114.70 mph..
42. 1:08 pm, GREEN FLAG drops to start 1 one hour, 45-minute Exxon Supreme GT Series Presented by Virgin Interactive - #96 GTS-1 Ford Panoz GRT1 with Brabham driving, takes lead into Turn 1, holds lead into second lap, opens 7.3-second lead on second car #01 GTS-1 Porsche 911 GTR1 of Andy Pilgrim - #76 GTS-3 Porsche 911 (Blackman) backs into wall at exit to Turn 17 on second lap, right rear tire flat, continues on course - #01 GTS-1 Porsche 911 GTR1 cuts lead to 4.8 seconds after 10 minutes - #39 (Matthews) GTS-3 Porsche 911 tries to pass #77 GTS-3 BMW M3 (Renna), hits infield wall, receives front end damage but continues - second contact occurs between #39 and #77 in Turn 11, flips, rolls into infield at Turn 11, catches fire - driver out, OK.
43. FULL COURSE CAUTION as a result of incident - #96 GTS-1 Ford Panoz two seconds quicker than #01 GTS-1 Porsche 911 GTR1 of Pilgrim - GREEN FLAG drops at 1:28 pm on Lap 8 to restart the race...FULL COURSE YELLOW comes out at 1:30 pm on Lap 9 while wrecker is on track removing #39 GTS-3 Porsche - #77 BMW M3 GTS-3 also returned to pits on wrecker but not formally withdrawn - #39 GTS-3 Porsche 911 damaged extensively.
44. Incident involving #39 GTS-3 Porsche will affect points race..Jim Matthews is fourth in GTS-3 points standings - David Murry is second, just four points behind Bill Auberlen..
45. #56 GTS-2 Porsche 911 Turbo pits, takes on fuel, tires, driver change - Snow in, Collins out - #56 goes off end of Turn 3 unde3r bridge, into grass, returns to circuit GREEN FLAG drops at 1:45 pm on Lap 11 to restart the race - yellow flag was for two laps, 15 minutes - #99 GTS-2 Porsche pits, fuel, tires, Cobb out, class points leader Schumacher in - #61 GTS-2 Porsche 911 Turbo pits, fuel, tires, Konrad out, Ham in - #10 GTS-3 BMW M3 pits, fuel, tires, Leitzinger out, Auberlen in.
46. David Murry receives permission to get into #00 GTS-3 Porsche 911 - drivers reporting extensive areas of oil around circuit - #17 pits at 45-minute mark, tires, fuel, driver change - Schirle in, Vann out., returns to track and makes contact with another car, bodywork damage, returns to pits - $374 pits, hood up (Stuck) - #5 GTS-3 (Pellarano) spins in exit to Turn 17, back on course - #74 GTS-1 Porsche 911 Turbo pits with brakeline problem - #96 GTS-1 Ford Panoz GTR1 holds 20.62 second place - #77 GTS-3 BMW M3 returns to race at 53-minute mark.
47. LAP 21, #01 GTS-1 Porsche 911 pits at 55-minute mark, tire, fuels, driver change, Pilgrim out, McNish in, 45 seconds - #74 GTS-3 Porsche 911 back in race after brakeline repaired, Boutsen in, Stuck out - #17 GTS-2 back on track, right side door missing, Schirle still in car - #27 GTS-1 pits, fuel, tires, driver change, Priestly out, Maxwell in on lap 22 at 59 minutes.
48. LEADERS AT THE ONE-HOUR MARK:
GTS-1 #96 Ford Panoz GTR1 Brabham #75 Oldsmobile Aurora Robinson #01 Porsche 911 GTR1 McNish
GTS-2 #99 Porsche 99 Turbo Schumacher #61 Porsche 911 Turbo Ham #64 Porsche 911 Kaufman
GTS-3 #10 BMW M3 Auberlen #6 BMW M3 Quiros #7 BMW M3 Quester
49. Race leader #96 Ford Panoz GTR1 pits on lap 25, at 1:05 mark, fuel, tires, driver change, Brabham out, Lienhard in - #75 Olds Aurora takes over lead, first lead change of race - #6 GTS-3 BMW M3 pits, fuel, tires, driver change, Quiros out, Leitzinger in at 1:10 mark.
50. #75 GTS-1 Olds Aurora, race leader pits on lap 28, fuel, tires, driver change, Robinson out, Baldwin in - #00 GTS-3 Porsche 911 pits on lap 28, fuel, tires, driver change, Earle out, Murry in - #5 GTS-3 BMW M3 drives right off the end of the hairpin at Turn 7, through tirewall and Styrofoam and down embankment - driver John Paul Jr. out of the car, OK - FULL COURSE yellow on lap 29 at 2:24 pm while tire wall repaired.
51. GREEN FLAG drops at 2::41 pm on lap 34 - difference between first and second is 0.89 seconds - #01 GTS-1 Po9rsche 911 GTR1 (McNish) leading at 1:30 pm...#96 GTS-1 Ford Panoz GTR1 penalized one lap for passing pace car under yellow flag - team appeals penalty - with 10 minutes remaining, difference between first and second is 4.44 seconds - #96 GTS-1 Ford Panoz GTR1 (Bernard) moves from sixth to second and trails #01 GTS-1 Porsche 911 GTR1 by just 8.98 seconds - #99 GTS-2 Porsche 911 Turbo (Schumacher) is third, #61 GTS-2 Porsche 911 Turbo .
52. #01 GTS-1 Porsche 911 GTR1 holds 1.91-second lead with five minutes remaining - third-place car is #75 GTS-1 Olds Aurora is third, 27.39 seconds back.
53. #96 GTS-1 Ford Panoz GTR1 overtakes #01 GTS-1 Porsche 911 GTR in exit to hairpin in Turn 7, taps him in back, spins McNish off track, goes on to take the CHECKERED FLAG but is immediately assessed 20-second penalty, giving victory to McNish - in GTS-3, BMW M3s take top three positions with #10 (Auberlen), #7 (Duez), #6 (Leitzinger).
54. MANUFACTURERS CHAMPIONSHIPS: Porsche wraps up the Manufacturers' championship in GTS-1 class. They clinched GTS-2 class at Mosport in August. BMW clinches the GTS-3 championship
55. TOP THREE UNOFFICIAL FINISHERS IN EACH CLASS:
#01 Porsche 911 GTR McNish #96 Ford Panoz GTR1 Bernard #75 Oldsmobile Aurora Baldwin
#99 Porsche 911 Turbo Schumacher #61 Porsche 911 Turbo Ham #71 Mazda RX-7 Potolicchio
#10 BMW M3 Auberlen #7 BMW M3 Duez #6 BMW M3 Leitzinger
56. Eric Bernard in the GTS-1 #96 Ford Panoz recorded the race's fastest lap: 2:01.901 on lap 40. Time of race was 1:46:52.632 - Margin of victory was 3.794 seconds - six cars on the lead lap (41).
57. ANDY PILGRIM, #01 PORSCHE 911 GT1, WINNER IN GTS-1: "Well it was a bit of a controversial win, with the incident between Bernard (#96 Panoz) and Allan (McNish, Pilgrim's teammate) We're happy for the win and we're very happy for winning the manufacturers' title for Porsche and the team championship for Jochen Rohr. That was very important today." Pilgrim clinched the GTS-1 Drivers title at the most recent round at Pikes Peak.
58. LARRY SCHUMACHER, #99 PORSCHE 911 TURBO, WINNER IN GTS-2: "They (#61 Porsche 911 Turbo of Konrad/Ham) had us covered at the end and fortunately for us our crew calculated the fuel a little better than they did and they had some bad luck and ran out halfway through the last lap."
59. 5:15 pm, GREEN FLAG drops to start 3-hour SPEEDVISION Cup race - all 77 cars complete first lap without incident - #37 catches fire on lap 3, driver Scott Harrington, pulls car off circuit and then gets fire extinguisher from corner workers to put out fire himself - FULL COURSE CAUTION at 5:18 pm to retrieve car - GREEN FLAG drops at 5:38 pm - 3 laps under yellow for total of 20 minutes - #32GS Pontiac Firebird (Hayner) goes from fourth to lead after restart - lap 10, #59S BMW 328is (Scott Peeler) pulls off on fire - lap 11, #54 GS BMW M3 (Javier Quiros) passes #32 Hayner.
60. FULL COURSE caution on lap 11 at 5:46 pm for #59S BMW 328is - #34 #34T Honda Prelude Si pits, fuel, tires, driver change, Waddell out, Hillstead in - #84S Toyota Supra pits, fuel, tires, Wehe, Henderson out - #23C Mazda Miata pits, fuel, tires, driver change, Stewart in, Bourassa in on lap 13 at 6 pm - #40C Honda Civic del Sol pits, fuel, tires, driver change, Ddonaher in, Schwartzott out.
61. GREEN FLAG drops at 6:05 pm, lap 15, to restart race - #54GS BMW M3 (Quiros) pressing race leader #88 GS Toyota Supra for lead.
62. FULL COURSE yellow on lap 21, 6:20 pm, for #33 GS Pontiac Firebird stuck in sand - #72 GS BMW M3 pits, fuel, tires, driver change, Miller out, Auberlen in - #46GS Ford Mustang Cobra pits, fuel, tires, driver change, Priestley out, Pilgrim in - #88 GS Toyota Supra slides wide coming on to back straight, loses lead to Quiros then pits , fuel, tires, driver change, Goldsborough out, Van Cleef in - #40 C Honda Civic del Sol pits for second time, no driver change - #13 GS Pontiac Firebird pits, fuel, tires, driver change, Blackm out, Del Vechio in - #3 GS Pontiac firebird pits, fuel, tires, driver change, Cochran out, Murry in - #54GS BMW M3 pits, fuel, tires, driver change, Quiros out, Borcheller in - #4GS Pontiac firebird pits, fuel, tires, driver change, Walton out, Knowles in - #75C Nissan 200SX pits, fuel, tires, driver change, Phillips out, Daughtery in - #00T Audi A4 pits, fuel, tires, driver change, Munao out, Hartman in - #72GS BMW M3 pits, fuel, tires, driver change, Miller out, Jeff Auberlen in - #29GS Toyota Supra Turbo pits, fuel, tires, driver change, Thompson out, Upton in.
63. GREEN FLAG drops at 6:32 pm on lap 24 - FULL COURSE caution again on lap 26 at 6:37 pm when #26GS Ford Mustang Cobra crashes into tirewall at Turn 1, Ruhlin driving - #47GS Ford Mustang Cobra pits, fuedl, tires, driver change, Kohler out, Smith in - #17GS Ford Mustang Cobra pits, fuel, tires, driver change, Turner out, Lapcevich in - #70GS Mazda RX-7 Turbo pits, fuel, tires, driver change, Ham out, Tremblay in - #74GS Ford Mustang pits, fuel, tires, driver change, Wilden in, Sanogueira out - #32GS Pontiac Firebird pits on lap 28, fuel, tires, driver change, Hayner out, Heinricy in.
64. GREEN FLAG drops at 6:58 pm on lap 30 but FULL COURSE caution again on lap 39 at 7:22 pm when #92GS Toyota Supra Turbo pits on lap 42, Collins stays in, fuel, tires - difference between first #54GS BMW M3 and second place #88GS Toyota Supra Turbo is 0.72 seconds.
. FULL COURSE yellow on lap 46 at 7:47 pm , to clear track - GREEN FLAG drops at 8:04 pm on lap #50 - lap 51 #3GS Pontiac Firebird (Murry) takes lead and holds it until the final lap when #54 GS BMW M3 passes him in the esses and holds on to take the race - both Borcheller and Heinricy were running out of fuel during final lap.
66. There were 14 lead changes during the three hours with #88GS Toyota Supra Turbo (Goldsborough) leading twice, Quiros leading twice and Borcheller leading twice.
67. Provisional points champions are:
GRAND SPORTS: John Heinricy #32 Pontiac Firebird SPORTS: Jeff McMillin #9 BMW 328is TOURING: Gary Blackman, Greg Loebel #36Honda Prelude Si COMPACT: Joe Danaher #40 Honda Civic del Sol
68. This concludes Press Notes for Friday. Thank you and good night!