Press Notes: Thursday 1-9 18 September, 1997 1. GOOD MORNING and welcome to the first day of official activity for the SPORTSCAR GRAND PRIX Presented by FAO Schwarz. This weekend features five Professional SportsCar Racing (SportsCar) ...
Press Notes: Thursday 1-9
18 September, 1997
1. GOOD MORNING and welcome to the first day of official activity for the SPORTSCAR GRAND PRIX Presented by FAO Schwarz. This weekend features five Professional SportsCar Racing (SportsCar) series.
2. SportsCar races this weekend include: Friday -- 3-hour SPEEDVISION Cup for Stock SportsCar race Saturday -- 30-minute Black Magic Pro Series race 30-minute Ferrari Challenge race 1-hour 45-minute Exxon Supreme GT Series 2-hour Exxon World SportsCar Championship
3. The following people are here to help you: Las Vegas Motor Speedway ..Andy Hall, Director of Public Relations SportsCar Ed Nicholls, Director of Communications SportsCar Press Assistants Dave Arnold, Bruce O'Neill and Pat O'Neill
4. 10:30 am, First on track this morning is the Black Magic Pro Series for World Sports Racers who will practice until 11:00 am - Fastest in the session is #83 Mike Davies with a fast lap of 1:22.053-85.115 mph - The top seven are all within a second of each other.
5. MIKE DAVIES, #83 Jones Aviation Toyota World Sports Racer, fastest in the first practice session: "The session went well this morning. With the track being so new, the grip has not come in yet and I will be working on that between sessions today. It's a very new facility and fun to drive. However, I would prefer a little more infield and less oval for our cars."
6. 11:15 am, Ferrari Challenge competitors take to the track for their first practice session of the weekend - Fastest in the 30-minute session is #07 Dr. Stephen Earle, with a fast lap of 1:21.751-85.430 mph. Less than three-tenths of second behind Earle is Carlos Hank, Jr., whose fastest lap was 1:21.778-85.401 mph.
7. 12:00 noon, SPEEDVISION Cup cars begin a 45-minute practice session - The session is stopped at 12:15 pm, due to deteriorating track conditions at turn five. Turn five is a 180 degree left-hander from the turn two oval onto the road course - Fastest in the session in each class are: Grand Sports - Eric van Cleef, #88 Toyota Supra Turbo, 1:24.326-82.821 mph; Sports - Derek Hill, #9 BMW 328is, 1:27.721-79.617mph; Touring - John Norris, #03 Nissan 240SX, 1:29.949-77.644 mph.; and Compact - David Daughtery, #75 Nissan 200SX-SER, 1:33.065-75.044mph.
8. Today's remaining practice sessions have been cancelled due to the pavement problems. Las Vegas Motor Speedway officials indicated that the repairs would be made immediately and that practice will resume as scheduled Friday morning.
9. This concludes today's SportsCar Press Notes. Good night!