Monday Test Notes at Sebring - The 2003 edition of the Formula Ford 2000 Zetec Championship got underway unofficially Monday morning when the cars took to the track for testing. - Monday the Zetec Championship will have four test sessions, two...
Monday Test Notes at Sebring
- The 2003 edition of the Formula Ford 2000 Zetec Championship got underway unofficially Monday morning when the cars took to the track for testing.
- Monday the Zetec Championship will have four test sessions, two in the morning and two in the afternoon.
- The first session of the day commenced under slightly overcast skies and humid conditions.
- Making their Zetec Championship debut at Sebring are No. 3 Barber, No. 4 Kritikos, No. 7 Welk, No. 10 Kapudija, No. 19 Festa, No. 22 Loniewski, No. 23 Bomarito, No. 28 Pecorari, No. 45 Lechner and No. 91 Kimball.
- Returning to the Zetec Championship are No. 2 Aschenbach, No. 6 McDonough, No. 8 Baltzer, No. 9 Kasemets, No. 12 Gue, No. 24 D. Prendeville, No. 25 A. Prendeville, No. 29 Imery, No. 37 Dona, No. 38 Rose, No. 44 Smith, No. 62 Sakowicz and No. 86 Brumbaugh.
- All the Zetec class cars are running a new tire and wing package. The new wing package has 4 to 6 degrees less wing. The front tires are now 8 inch, while the rear tires are 10 inch..
- The first session was briefly halted, when a car went off-course, but no damage was reported.
- In the second session several cars unofficial broke the lap record of 2:04.423 by Jeffrey Jones, set last year.
- Late in the second session, No. 6 McDonough had a hard impact with the tire wall. The car suffered significant damage to the right rear corner, right front corner and rear wing. The team is repairing the car and hopes to be on track during Tuesday's test sessions. The driver was unharmed.
- In the third session, the cars slowed slightly as track became more slick from the increased heat and rubber from other series testing.
- Midway through the session No. 19 Festa went off course in turn one and impacted the tire wall, damaging the left rear corner. The driver was okay.
- Early in the last session No. 19 Festa stopped on course with a broken half-shaft, bringing out stoppage to the session.
- No. 29 Imery was black flagged and given a ten minute stop and go penalty for failing to obey the Red Flag.
- Late in the final the session No. 10 Kapudija stopped off course.
- The Zetec Championship will have three more test sessions Tuesday, beginning at (;50 a.m.
Top-10 unofficial times from Monday's Test
Lawson Aschenbach 2:04.309
Westley Barber 2:04.425
Tonis Kasemets 2:04.722
Andy Brumbaugh 2:04.860
Jonathan Bomarito 2:05.261
Doug Prendeville 2:05.299
Ricardo Imery 2:05.317
Jason Kritikos 2:05.669
Craig Baltzer 2:05.790
Charlie Kimball 2:05.837