Thursday test notes at Road America - The Formula Ford 2000 Zetec Championship had four half-hour test sessions Thursday, as part of the promoters test day in preparation for Rounds Seven and Eight, Mario Andretti Grand Prix at Road America. -...
Thursday test notes at Road America
- The Formula Ford 2000 Zetec Championship had four half-hour test sessions Thursday, as part of the promoters test day in preparation for Rounds Seven and Eight, Mario Andretti Grand Prix at Road America.
- The first session gets underway at 8:00 a.m. local time, under sunny skies.
- 27 cars, 23 in the Zetec Championship class and four in the American Continental Class, took part in the first session.
- The first session was checkered early, when No. 59 Bass crashed in turn one. No. 59 was unhurt, but the car suffered significant damage to the nosebox, left front corner and rear corners.
- The second session commenced at 10:00 a.m., under ideal conditions.
- The cars have begun to get steadily quicker.
- Following the lunch break, the third session started at 12:45 p.m.
- During the session No. 27 Fierberg went off-course in Canada corner, making contact with the tire barrier and damaging the left side of the car.
- The fastest times of the test are posted during the test. No. 26 Pecorari posts the fastest time 2:13.038 (108.240 MPH). This is significantly faster than the current lap record of 2:14.852, set by 2001 Champion Jason LaPoint in a Pinto powered car.
- The final test session gets underway at 3:30 p.m., under overcast skies and threat of rain.
- Midway through the final session, it begins sprinkle light rain with lightning.
- Early in the session No. 88 Gluckin goes off-course in turn three and unable to continue.
- Late in the session, testing is halted when No. 24 D. Prendeville becomes stuck in the gravel in turn one.
- The Zetec Championship will have one 30-minute practice sessions on Friday, prior to qualifying, which commences Saturday, August 2, at 8:15 a.m.
Unofficial top-10 times from Thursday's Test