HAMPTON, Ga. -- Ryan Hampton, of Glendora, Calif., won his third career U.S. F2000 National Championship pole for Saturday's 30-lap, 48.0-mile U.S. F2000 race, part of the Atlanta 500k Weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Mike Johnson, of ...
HAMPTON, Ga. -- Ryan Hampton, of Glendora, Calif., won his third career U.S. F2000 National Championship pole for Saturday's 30-lap, 48.0-mile U.S. F2000 race, part of the Atlanta 500k Weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Mike Johnson, of Gainesville, Ga., qualified second.
Hampton, driving the No. 88 American Instruments/Body Abuse Tatuus Ford, turned a lap of 42.218 seconds around the 1.6-mile modified oval translating to an average speed of 136.435 mph -- the fastest lap in series' history. Hampton earned one point for the pole, and now trails David Besnard, who qualified third, by eight points in the Oval Crown Championship, which concludes this weekend.
"My car broke a half shaft in practice 30 minutes before qualifying, and the crew did a super job getting it ready for qualifying," said Hampton, who won the two other super speedway races this season at Charlotte. "This place is all about drafting. The guy in second on the last lap has the best shot at a slingshot pass for the win. I just want to be in that lead group at the end of the race."
Johnson, driving the No. 8 PCG/Valvoline/Slick Eyewear Van Diemen Ford, missed his first career pole by 0.006-second, and will line up a career-best second in front of a hometown crowd.
"I should have had the pole," said Johnson. "My foot slipped off the brake pedal in the chicane and I had to stab it again, which upset the car and slowed me down. It's great to be on the front row though -- particularly so close to home."
Besnard will line the No. 13 Primus Racing Karts Van Diemen Ford third for Saturday night's feature, and can clinch the Oval Crown Championship with a second-place finish. Andy Lally, of Northport, N.Y., and Robby McGehee, of St. Louis, completed the top-five.
HAMPTON, Ga. -- Starters for Saturday's 30-lap, 48-mile U.S. F2000 National Championship Round 11 race, part of the Atlanta 500 Classic Weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway, with starting position, car number in parenthesis, driver, hometown, class, car, time and speed in miles-per-hour.
1. (88), Ryan Hampton, Glendora, Calif., F2A, Tatuus Ford, 0:42.218, 136.434.
2. (8), Mike Johnson, Gainesville, Ga., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:42.226, 136.408.
3. (13), David Besnard, Sydney, Australia, F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:42.368, 135.951.
4. (5), Andy Lally, Northport, N.Y., F2A, Bowman BC5 Ford, 0:42.524, 135.452.
5. (2), Robby McGehee, St. Louis, Mo., F2A, Tatuus Ford, 0:42.636, 135.097.
6. (60), Ian Lacy, Arcata, Calif., F2A, Tatuus Ford, 0:42.851, 134.419.
7. (11), Steve Rikert, Rhinebeck, N.Y., F2A, Tatuus Ford, 0:42.903, 134.256.
8. (28), Jonathan Bottoms, Buffalo, N.Y., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:42.930, 134.171.
9. (52), Bobby Oergel, Palmetto, Fla., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:42.931, 134.168.
10. (7), Sam Hornish Jr., Defiance, Ohio, F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:42.945, 134.125.
11. (96), Marc Antoine Camirand, Trois-Rivieres, Que., Can., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:42.947, 134.118.
12. (64), Rolando Quintanilla, Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:42.954, 134.096.
13. (25), Christian Coggins, Atlanta, Ga., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:43.058, 133.773.
14. (30), Alejandro Garcia, Venezuela, F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:43.094, 133.661.
15. (4), Duncan Dayton, North Salem, N.Y., F2A, Bowman BC5 Ford, 0:43.111, 133.608.
16. (51), Greg LeMond, Medina, Minn., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:43.223, 133.262.
17. (34), Tim Duit, Edmond, Okla., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:43.225, 133.256.
18. (6), Joey Scarallo, Hauppauge, N.Y., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:43.314, 132.982.
19. (99), Tom Wood, Calgary, Alberta, Can., F2A, Tatuus Ford, 0:43.429, 132.630.
20. (45), T.J. Bell, Sparks, Nev., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:43.464, 132.523.
21. (14), Larry Foyt, Houston, Texas, F2A, Tatuus Ford, 0:43.562, 132.225.
22. (77), Jon Herb, Indianapolis, Ind., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:43.763, 131.618.
23. (44), Steve Djelebian, Amherstburg, Ont., Can., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:43.776, 131.578.
24. (40), Billy Puterbaugh Jr., Brownsburg, Ind., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:43.811, 131.473.
25. (32), Ennis Bragg, Swainsboro, Ga., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:44.073, 130.692.
26. (66), Larry Oberto, Seattle, Wash., F2B, Van Diemen Ford, 0:44.145, 130.479.
27. (33), Jeff Smith, Terre Haute, Ind., F2A, Tatuus Ford, 0:44.197, 130.325.
28. (84), John Miller, Edina, Minn., F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:44.382, 129.782.
29. (55), Wilmer Valentin, Bayamon, Puerto Rico, F2B, Van Diemen Ford, 0:45.650, 126.177.
30. (27), Scott Dick, Cincinnati, Ohio, F2A, Van Diemen Ford, 0:46.063, 125.046.
31. (72), Jeff Glenn, Pleasanton, Calif., F2A, Carbir DS3 Ford, no time.
32. (95), Anthony Simone, Stouffville Ontario, F2A, Van Diemen Ford, no time.