* Del Worsham won the NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals at Bristol Dragway on May 17; it was his second win in as many races. He defeated Jeff Arend, Cruz Pedregon, Tim Wilkerson and Tony Pedregon on his way to victory. It was his second victory of...
* Del Worsham won the NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals at Bristol Dragway on May 17; it was his second win in as many races. He defeated Jeff Arend, Cruz Pedregon, Tim Wilkerson and Tony Pedregon on his way to victory. It was his second victory of the season and the second for the Alan Johnson Al-Anabi Racing Funny Car team. Worsham is currently second in the NHRA Full Throttle Funny Car point standings; he trails first place Ron Capps by 57 points.
* The Alan Johnson Al-Anabi Racing Funny Car has been a consistent qualifier most of the season. Through the first eight races, Worsham's average qualifying position is 6.13. Throw out qualifying No. 16 at Las Vegas at Atlanta, and Worsham's average qualifying position is 2.83.
* Worsham has advanced to at least the semifinals in four of the season's eight races including three of the last five. He has also won eight consecutive rounds of eliminations.
* Last year at Heartland Park Topeka, Worsham did not qualify for eliminations. Worsham has never won at Topeka.
Worsham prior to Topeka:
"It's just unreal the way this team has come together in the last three races; we've won two in a row, but the turnaround really started at Atlanta. The last round of qualifying got us into the race, and then we lost in the first round as the No. 16 qualifier. Those were two pretty strong runs that showed us we were headed in the right direction.
"Our two wins were pretty different. At St. Louis, we were getting outrun throughout the day, but we got better each round and were able to step it up enough to beat Ron Capps in the final. At Bristol, it felt like we were the car to beat all day. In the semifinals, we blew up but still advanced. I saw our whole race team really come together that day when the Top Fuel crew jumped in with our Funny Car guys to replace everything before the final round. The result of that team effort was low ET of the weekend, and our second straight win.
"After winning eight straight rounds, we tested for two days right after Bristol to work on some different set ups. That showed the commitment to winning this team has, and it's great to be a part of it. We tested at Atlanta Dragway, and I can't say enough about the staff at that race track. They did everything they could to help us, and we really appreciate their efforts while we were there. We learned a lot in those two days, and we are confident about the rest of the season."