(St. Louis, MO) As the NHRA tour rolls into Gateway International Raceway this week, Rodger Brogdon, who drives the Attitude Apparel/Racers Edge Pro Stock Pontiac for team owner Steve Kent, knows that so far the season has delivered both elation...
(St. Louis, MO) As the NHRA tour rolls into Gateway International Raceway this week, Rodger Brogdon, who drives the Attitude Apparel/Racers Edge Pro Stock Pontiac for team owner Steve Kent, knows that so far the season has delivered both elation and frustration.
"We have qualified for every race this year and been the #3 qualifier twice in the six races that have been run," said Brogdon. "We know we have a race car that's capable of taking home the Wally on any Sunday afternoon, but we also know that we are out of step in a couple of areas. And the aggravation that comes from struggling in those two areas is really frustrating.
"We've tested, we've tweaked here and there, and we know that we are just a setting or two away from finding the combination we need, but we aren't there yet. In retrospect, at this time last year we hadn't even qualified for Sunday eliminations, so I'm much happier than a year ago. But now that we've achieved this level, its human nature to want to continue to progress. I know we've come quite a ways in a relatively short period of time for Pro Stock, but Steve Kent and everyone on the team knows that we are this close to the next level, and we are all working our butts off to get there."
"With Gateways proximity to the majority of the Pro Stock chassis builders, virtually every team has a multitude of notes on this track from all the testing that we've done there. Those notes are always important, especially with the wide variety of conditions that we can see there."
"The one item that we always have to deal with is the weather in St Louis. We've been there when it was so miserably hot and humid we raced at night to try and find comfort. We've been there when it's been cool and damp. The forecast for this weekend is for mid to upper 70's and a chance of rain (again)."
"With that type of forecast it means Tommy (Utt) and the rest of the crew are going to have to make each run count, cause if the weather eliminates a round or two of qualifying we want to be as ready as possible come race day. I know we will be doing everything we can to be around late on Sunday afternoon."