TRADITION, DRAMA AND EXCITEMENT IN THE AIR AS NHRA HOSTS AUTO CLUB FINALS IN POMONA POMONA, Calif. -- The Auto Club NHRA Finals, the last race of the 24-event NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series, is all about tradition. And drama. And ...
TRADITION, DRAMA AND EXCITEMENT IN THE AIR AS NHRA HOSTS AUTO CLUB FINALS IN POMONA
POMONA, Calif. -- The Auto Club NHRA Finals, the last race of the 24-event NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series, is all about tradition.
Each November, the world's best drag racers gather at the historic Auto Club Raceway at Pomona to put the finishing touches on a season that began in the same location in drag racing crazy Southern California nine months earlier.
While NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series champions in Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock and Pro Stock Motorcycle will be crowned at the 45th annual Auto Club NHRA Finals, Nov. 12-15 (ESPN2 HD), the race weekend offers much more to the tens of thousands of fans who attend the season-finale.
The official kick off to the race week will actually begin this weekend at the NHRA Full Throttle Fan Fest presented by Universal Technical Institute. It will be held Nov. 7 at the UTI campus in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. NHRA Funny Car driver "Fast" Jack Beckman will be on hand to sign autographs at the event and several race cars will be on display. The Fan Fest is open to the public and runs from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m.
The 300 mile per hour race cars take to the track for the first time on Thursday, Nov. 12 at the historic Pomona drag strip. While the action on the track will certainly be intense, the off-track entertainment is sure to be a hit as well. The grounds of the facility come alive and offer fans plenty to explore.
NHRA's longstanding open pits policy allows fans to visit with their favorite drivers and get autographs, and watch in close proximity while the talented race team crew members service the high-performance hot rods. No sport's athletes are more accessible and fan-friendly than those who compete in the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series. From popular young drivers like Ashley Force Hood and Morgan Lucas to diverse winners like Tony Pedregon and Antron Brown to highly-tested veterans like NHRA icon John Force and six-time champ Tony Schumacher.
Once the autographs are secured, fans can also visit Nitro Alley, where many interactive displays offer a variety of exciting challenges for young and old alike. The Manufacturers Midway features the latest in performance parts, accessories, memorabilia and collectibles. Don't forget to add to your souvenir collection by visiting the NitroMall as well as many of the pro race team souvenir trailers.
While each of the four days of racing will feature its own special attractions, final eliminations on Sunday, Nov. 15, promises to be a day no NHRA fan will want to miss. Some of the special activities planned for that day include:
* A Twilight Cruise car show contest and winner's parade
* The first-ever skydiving drag race
* An appearance by the famed Budweiser Clydesdales
* The famed Goodyear Blimp hovering in the airspace above the track
* A special parade to honor the Los Angeles Fire Department
* A powerful flyover by an F-16 Air Force fighter jet
* A spectacular fireworks show Sunday night following final eliminations
SCHEDULE: Pro qualifying sessions are scheduled for 1:30 p.m. on Nov. 12-13 and at 11 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. on Nov. 14. Final eliminations begin at 11 a.m. on Sunday, Nov. 15.
TICKETS: Tickets are available for the Auto Club NHRA Finals. Call NHRA at (800) 884-NHRA (6472) or visit nhra.com or ticketmaster.com.
* ON TV: ESPN2 and ESPN2HD will televise two hours of qualifying highlights at 10:30 p.m. (ET) on Saturday, Nov. 14. ESPN2 and ESPN2HD will televise NHRA Race Day, a 30-minute pre-race show, at 11 a.m. (ET) on Sunday, Nov. 15. ESPN2 and ESPN2HD will televise three hours of eliminations coverage beginning at 7 p.m. (ET) on Sunday, Nov. 15.
* LUCAS OIL SERIES: The Auto Club NHRA Finals also will feature competition in six categories in the NHRA Lucas Oil Series, where the future stars of the NHRA Full Throttle Series earn their racing stripes. Lucas Oil Series qualifying begins at 8:15 a.m. on Nov. 12. Lucas Oil Series eliminations begin at 8:15 a.m. on Nov. 13.