* Tony Pedregon, driver of the Q Racing team, heads to Reading, Pa. to compete this weekend in the 21stAnnual NHRA Nationals. The 2003 Funny Car champion and his Q Racing Nitro Funny Car are ready for the 19th race of the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing...
* Tony Pedregon, driver of the Q Racing team, heads to Reading, Pa. to compete this weekend in the 21stAnnual NHRA Nationals. The 2003 Funny Car champion and his Q Racing Nitro Funny Car are ready for the 19th race of the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series schedule at Maple Grove Raceway.
* In 2002, Pedregon won on this extra-quick drag strip. He also obtained a No. 1 qualifier in 1999, and was the runner-up in 1996. With fall's cooler temperatures almost upon us, this race initiates the final three-race swing of the 2005 season.
"Maple Grove Raceway represents good challenges for the Q Racing team," Pedregon explained. "This time of the year, the evenings get cooler and, any given track we encounter, with good (climatic) conditions, gives us a good stage to work with. Traditionally, going back 10 to 12 years, Maple Grove has been a quick and fast raceway when the conditions are right, and we'll be ready to take advantage of it."
* Because of Q Racing's improvement on consistency, Pedregon's high-performance car may hold an advantage when it's time to turn the horsepower loose. Pedregon is optimistic about the progress they have made, not only on their execution but on their consistency as well.
"We've implemented some internal changes and improvements to the race car that will at some point show results," Pedregon said. "But I still don't think the Q Racing team has accomplished what we're capable of. The record speaks for itself, but this season, it has not been there.
"We are still scrutinizing everything we've been doing and how we're doing it. My expectations for Reading are to be an even stronger team than we've been, up to this point. It could be during this race, with conditions working on our favor, plus the work and effort we've put into this program, that we're going to see some results."
* So far this year, Pedregon has qualified inthe number one position in Pomona, Calif. and Chandler, Ariz. He also broke the elapsed-time record at Pomona Raceway with a 4.681-second pass at 323.35mph. In Chandler, Ariz., Pedregon broke Firebird International Raceway's elapsed time record at 4.703 seconds.
At Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, Calif., Pedregon wrapped up a third No. 1 qualifier, and set a new elapsed-time track record with 4.759 seconds. Pedregon heads to Maple Grove Raceway 10th in POWERade Funny Car points with 843.