Pontiac Excitement Pro Stock SuperBowl. WHAT: NHRA professional racing teams will be testing in preparation for the upcoming 2003 NHRA POWERade Drag Racing season. WHERE: Houston Raceway Park, Baytown, Texas. From I-10, go south on...
Pontiac Excitement Pro Stock SuperBowl.
WHAT: NHRA professional racing teams will be testing in preparation for the upcoming 2003 NHRA POWERade Drag Racing season.
WHERE: Houston Raceway Park, Baytown, Texas. From I-10, go south on Hwy. 146, or FM 3180. Then follow FM 565 to the facility. From the south, follow Hwy. 146 to Spur 55, then east to FM 1405, then north to FM 565.
WHEN: Thursday through Saturday, Jan. 30 - Feb. 1, 2003.
THURSDAY, Jan 30 - Gates open at 9 a.m. Test sessions will run from 9:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
FRIDAY, Jan. 31 - Gates open at 9 a.m. Test sessions will run from 9:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
SATURDAY, Feb. 1 -- Gates open at 8 a.m. Time trials start at 9
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFYING SESSIONS - 10 a.m. and Noon
ELIMINATIONS - 1 p.m.
WHO: Many NHRA Pro Stock and Pro Stock Bike teams are participating, including:
* Jim Yates, 1996-'97 Pro Stock champion, finished second in 2002 Pro Stock points standings, finished in the top 10 for the 11th time in his career.
* Geno Scali, scored first Pro Stock Bike victory in Brainerd, Minn. in 2002, put a Kawasaki in the winner's circle for the first time since 1992.
* Tom Hammonds, former NBA forward, finished a career-best 14th in the 2002 POWERade point standings.
* Bruce Allen, won the 2001 Pontiac Excitement Pro Stock SuperBowl, won two races in 2002 including the Phoenix and first Chicago events.
* Greg Anderson, finished 2002 a career-best third in the NHRA POWERade point standings, advanced to a career high six final rounds in 2002.
* Ron Krisher, only Pro Stock driver to qualify at all 23 events in 2002, qualified no. 1 eight times in 2002, finished in the top 10 in the Pro Stock standings for third consecutive season.
* Blaine Hale, expected to race Pro Stock Bike full-time in 2003 for first time since 2000.
* George Marnell, won the season opening K&N Filters Winternationals in 2002, led the Pro Stock point standings for the first four events.
* Mark Pawuk, expected to return to winning form with crew chief and 10-time Pro Stock champion Bob Glidden serving as crew chief.
* Larry Nance, 1984 NBA Slam Dunk champion, finished 2002 with a career best POWERade point standing.
TICKETS: For tickets call Houston Raceway Park at: (281) 383-RACE
ALL SEATS ARE GENERAL ADMISSION - Saturday: Adults, $18, Children (12-under), $1.