Rain Victorious at Woodburn WOODBURN, Ore. (July 12, 2009) -- The NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series, Northwest Division 32nd Annual Les Schwab Challenge event at Woodburn Dragstrip was called prematurely due to rain. NHRA has met with all of the...
Rain Victorious at Woodburn
WOODBURN, Ore. (July 12, 2009) -- The NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series, Northwest Division 32nd Annual Les Schwab Challenge event at Woodburn Dragstrip was called prematurely due to rain. NHRA has met with all of the finalists and today's final rounds of eliminations for six sportsman categories, including Top Alcohol Funny Car, will be completed at one of the several upcoming division and national events.
Top Alcohol Dragster pilot Brandon Johnson of Shelton, Wash., was able to beat Mother Nature and Dale Carlson, Olympia, Wash., in the final to pick up the hardware. Johnson made his way out of the No.2 qualifying position and posted a troubled 7.064 second, 246.03 mph pass to pick up the win. This marks his first victory of the season and doubles his divisional points.
Due to rain, Top Alcohol Funny Car was cut short, so No.1 qualifier Jay Payne, Claremont, Calif., and Brian Thiel of Pleasant Grove, Calif., will square off in the finals at a later date.
Other top winners that were able to make their final passes included Tom Brown, Sedro Wolley, Wash., in Super Street; Daryl Hemnley of Burley, Wash., in Top Sportsman; and Tracy Bailey, Coos Bay, Ore., was victorious in Sportsman Motorcycle.
The next Northwest division Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series event is at Yellowstone Dragstrip. The race is slated for August 21-23.
The following are Sunday's final results from the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series, Northwest Division 32nd Annual Les Schwab Challenge event at Woodburn Dragstrip:
TOP ALCOHOL DRAGSTER:
1) Joey Severance, Spanaway, Wash., 5.363, 266.90 def. 8) Mike Austin, Medford, Ore., broke;
2) Brandon Johnson, Shelton, Wash., 5.504, 262.46 def. 7) Bill Edwards Jr., Sumas, Wash., 5.602, 229.65;
3) Justin Davis, Murrieta, Calif., 5.442, 264.62 def. 6) Gregg Lawrence, Salem, Ore., 6.747, 248.20;
4) Dale Carlson, Olympia, Wash., 5.489, 255.02 def. 5) Doug Hegge, Vancouver, Wash., 5.489, 258.62;
Carlson, 5.366, 264.70 def. Severance, 5.394, 265.95; Johnson, 5.511, 262.85 def. Davis, 5.582, 262.85;
Johnson, 7.064, 246.03 def. Carlson, 7.642, 158.89.
TOP ALCOHOL FUNNY CAR:
5) John Lombardo Jr., Brea, Calif., '05 Monte Carlo, 5.675, 252.52 def. 4) John Evanchuk, Edmonton, Alb., '02 Firebird, 5.773, 247.66;
7) Brian Thiel, Pleasant Grove, Calif., '02 Camaro, 5.972, 242.45 def. 2) Brian Hough, Junction City, Ore., '06 Monte Carlo, 6.167, 205.85;
6) Ken Webster, Red Deer, Alb., '06 Monte Carlo, 5.746, 233.94 def. 3) Jeff Ashwell, Keizer, Ore., '02 Firebird, 5.762, 248.48;
1) Jay Payne, Claremont, Calif., '09 Mustang, 5.711, 253.09 def. 8) Dave Germain, Toledo, Wash., '02 Firebird, 5.829, 248.20;
Payne, 5.659, 251.74 def. Lombardo Jr., 5.719, 251.67; Thiel, 5.931, 245.23 def. Webster, 7.332, 126.86;
TOP ALCOHOL DRAGSTER
Brandon Johnson, Shelton, Wash., 7.064, 246.03 def. Dale Carlson, Olympia, Wash., 7.642, 158.89.
Tom Brown, Sedro Wolley, Wash., '66 Chevy II, 10.904, 135.86 def. Jim Glenn, Vancouver, Wash., '69 Firebird, 10.954, 126.05.
Daryl Hemnley, Burley, Wash., '02 Chevrolet, 7.427, 185.60 def. Randy Johnson, Snohomish, Wash., '04 Cavalier, foul.
Tracy Bailey, Coos Bay, Ore., '75 Kawaski, 9.736, 130.60 def. Shawn Bleh, Salem, Ore., '09 Suzuki, 9.023, 142.72.