DAY ONE OF QUALIFYING IS COMPLETE AT RACEWAY PARK'S NHRA LUCAS OIL DRAG RACING SERIES ENGLISHTOWN, N.J. -- On the opening day of qualifying at the 42nd Annual NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series event at Raceway Park, Comp...
DAY ONE OF QUALIFYING IS COMPLETE AT RACEWAY PARK'S NHRA LUCAS OIL DRAG RACING SERIES
ENGLISHTOWN, N.J. -- On the opening day of qualifying at the 42nd Annual NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series event at Raceway Park, Comp Eliminator racer David Eaton of Merritt Island, Fla., set the pace behind the wheel of his '32 roadster. The event, which will conclude on Sunday, features drivers in eight classes vying for late season point toward divisional and national championships.
Eaton made a 6.640-second pass to put him .650 seconds under his index. No. 2 qualifier, Anthony Bertozzi of Ashland, Va., wheeled his dragster to a 7.350-second run putting him just off the pace at .640 under his index. Freehold residents Michele Costa and Frank Aragona are the No. 3 and No. 6 qualifiers, respectively.
In Super Stock, Gary Ewing, Bel Air, Md., is the best qualifier. He drove his '69 Camaro to a 10.128-second run to put him just ahead of second-place qualifier Joseph Franco III in his '85 Camaro.
Steve Szupka is the No. 1 qualifier in Stock Eliminator. The Willow Grove, Pa., racer drove his '85 Camaro to an 11.586-second pass. Robesonia, Pa., resident David Barton and his '65 Cornet moved into the No. 2 spot.
Racing continues Saturday and Sunday at Raceway Park and the action will include 250 mph Top Alcohol Dragster and Top Alcohol Funny Car. Gates open at 7 a.m. Saturday and 8 a.m. Sunday. Final qualifying and time trials are slated to start Saturday at 10 a.m. Top Alcohol Dragster and Top Alcohol Funny Car will qualify at 3 and 7 p.m. On Sunday, eliminations start at 10 a.m. Top Alcohol Dragster and Top Alcohol Funny Car will run first round at noon.
Tickets for the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series event at Raceway Park are $20 Saturday and $20 Sunday. Children 6 to 11 years old are $5 each day and kids 5 and under are admitted free. For more information call the track, (732) 446-7800, or visit www.RacewayPark.com.
The following are Friday's qualifying results from the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series event at Raceway Park:
1) David Eaton, Merritt Island, Fla., '32 Bantam, A/AP, 6.640 seconds,
-0.650 (under index)
2) Anthony Bertozzi, Ashland, Va., dragster, D/ED, 7.350, -0.640
3) Michele Costa, Freehold, N.J., dragster, G/D, 9.033, -0.607
4) Al Ackerman, Saddle Brook, N.J., dragster, F/D, 8.085, -0.605
5) Charlie Greco, Berwyn, Pa., '06 GTO, D/AA, 7.677, -0.603
6) Frank Aragona, Freehold, N.J., '32 Bantam, G/EA, 8.292, -0.598
7) Sal Biondo, Maspeth, N.Y., dragster, D/ED, 7.410, -0.580
8) Jake Crimmins, Farmingdale, N.J., '92 Achieva, AA/AM, 6.514, -0.556
9) Stephen Szupka, Willow Grove, Pa., dragster, F/ED, 8.285, -0.545
10) Doug Doll Jr., Lititz, Pa., dragster, F/ED, 8.320, -0.510
1) Gary Ewing, Bel Air, Md., '69 Camaro, SS/JA, 10.128 seconds, -1.172
2) Joseph Franco III, N. Babylon, N.Y., '85 Camaro, GT/HA, 10.211, -1.139
3) Byron Worner, Duncannon, Pa., '96 Camaro, SS/IA, 9.896, -1.104
4) Jim Daniels, Bristol, Pa., '68 Dart, SS/AH, 8.647, -1.103
5) Jeff Lawrence, Quogue, N.Y., '88 Mustang, GT/AA, 9.298, -1.102
6) Vito Savino, Brewster, N.Y., '95 Grand Am, GT/HA, 10.253, -1.097
7) Bob Cupp, Alexandria, Va., '65 Chevelle, SS/KA, 10.474, -1.076
8) Dave Ficacci, E Hanover, N.J., '05 Cavalier, GT/CA, 9.639, -1.061
9) Gary Richard, Bay Shore, N.Y., '07 Cobalt, GT/AA, 9.346, -1.054
10) Howard Barsky, Langhorne, Pa., '57 Chevy, SS/NA, 11.410, -1.040
1) Steve Szupka, Willow Grove, Pa., '85 Camaro, J/SA, 11.586 seconds,
-1.164 (under index)
2) David Barton, Robesonia, Pa., '65 Coronet, A/SA, 10.170, -1.130
3) Henry Kunz, Farmingdale, N.Y., '69 Nova, G/SA, 11.193, -1.107
4) Jack Matyas, Bethlehem, Pa., '04 GTO, E/SA, 10.900, -1.100
5) Barry Parker, Southwick, Mass., '69 Camaro, B/SA, 10.453, -1.097
6) Gary Parker, Westfield, Mass., '77 Camaro, H/SA, 11.379, -1.071
7) Dave Casey, Hampden, Mass., '86 Camaro, G/S, 11.142, -1.058
8) Frank Bialas, Linden, N.J., '70 GTX, C/SA, 10.653, -1.047
9) Bill Belden, York, Pa., '75 Nova, I/S, 11.460, -1.040
10) James Perrone, Shirley, N.Y., '69 Nova, H/SA, 11.414, -1.036