5th Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion Brings Racing, Rodding and Renewal to Columbus Hot Rod Heritage Brought to Life at National Trail Raceway Jun. 15-17 COLUMBUS, Ohio -- (June 14, 2007) -- It's an authentic, one-of-a-kind American...
5th Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion Brings Racing, Rodding and Renewal
Hot Rod Heritage Brought to Life at National Trail Raceway Jun. 15-17
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- (June 14, 2007) -- It's an authentic, one-of-a-kind American car lover's dream. It's family fun, living history, hot rod heroes, nostalgic drag racing, cool cars, a swap meet, vendor alley and a Saturday afternoon barbeque. In short, it's the 5th annual Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion, presented by SoffSeal, Jun. 15-17 at National Trail Raceway in Hebron, near Columbus, Ohio.
"Our move to National Trail Raceway makes it possible for even more spectators, racers, street rodders and their families to join us for the weekend," said Tony Thacker, executive director of the non-profit Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum, which produces and benefits from the event. "Legends of the sport, including our Grand Marshal, Jeg Coughlin, Sr., from right here in Columbus, will gather together to celebrate the heritage of American hot rodding entrepreneurs."
Honorees for the Reunion are John Abbott, Don Cain, Ted Harbit, Fred Hurst, and the team of Gary Rupp and Pat Dakin. The Justice Bros. Reunion Spotlight will fall on Frank Hawley. In addition to the Honorees, legendary racers including Don "Big Daddy" Garlits and "TV Tommy" Ivo will attend.
With sponsorship support from Holley and SoffSeal, as well as Justice Brothers, Hot Heads, DuPont and Heacock Classic Insurance, the Reunion includes a wide variety of activities including NHRA nostalgia drag racing featuring famous and historic cars and drivers presented by Hot Heads, a street rod "show and shine," presented by SoffSeal with thousands of gleaming pre-1972 hot rods, custom cars and muscle cars; a cruise night to Jeg's High Performance shop on Thursday; a free public reception on Friday evening, Jun. 15 at the Columbus Airport Marriott; the legendary "Cacklefest" on Saturday evening when nitro-burning historic top fuel dragsters and funny cars will be push started just like in the "old days;" a swap meet and Reunion Midway filled with manufacturer exhibits and demonstrations.
The 5th annual Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion, presented by SoffSeal, is part of the museum's Hot Rod Heritage Series which works to bring to life the sights, sounds and people who made history in the early days of drag racing, land speed racing and the golden age of American car culture.
Unique among motorsports events, the Reunion honors some of the top names in hot rodding from the past and features a fabulous array of cool drag cars, street rods, classics, customs and muscle cars of the historic and present-day hot rod eras.
Daily general admission tickets/pit passes will be available at the National Trail Raceway gate, 2650 National Rd. SW, Hebron, Ohio 43025; phone: 740/928-5706; www.nationaltrailraceway.com. Cost per person: Friday, $20; Saturday, $20; Sunday, $15. Children 15 and under are free when accompanied by an adult.
The Reunion features a wide variety of activities and events, including: * A ribbon-cutting ceremony followed by a cruise from the Columbus Airport Marriott to Jegs High Performance in Delaware, Ohio, Thurs., June 14, starting 4 p.m.
* Just added: Hot Hues Custom Finishes by DuPont is sponsoring the appearance of American Graffiti actor Paul Le Mat, as well as two replica cars from the film: a yellow 1932 Ford Coupe that Le Mat drove and the black '55 Chevrolet 150 sedan driven by Harrison Ford.
* Hot Heads Eliminator NHRA vintage drag racing, featuring some the sport's most famous and historic cars and drivers, racing in such classes at Top Fuel, Supercharged Gassers, classic Funny Cars and Super Stocks.
* SoffSeal Street rod "Show 'n Shine" with thousands of gleaming pre-1972 hot rods, street rods, custom cars, classics and muscle cars. "Memory Lane" will have a display of nostalgic race cars.
* National Hot Rod Reunion Reception, held at the Columbus Airport Marriott, Fri., June 15 from 7 p.m.- 10 p.m. Open to everyone at no charge, it's a tribute to the Reunion's Grand Marshal and Honorees and a chance for fans to meet some of drag racing's heroes. Grand Marshal for the event will be Jeg Coughlin. This year's honorees are John Abbott, Don Cain, Ted Harbit, Fred Hurst, and the team of Gary Rupp and Pat Dakin. The Justice Bros. Reunion Spotlight highlights Frank Hawley.
* Heacock Classic Insurance Pit Pass Barbeque on Saturday afternoon, June 16. * Cacklefest on Saturday evening, where nitro-burning historic, front-engine top-fuel dragsters and other classic race cars are push started just like in the "old days."
* The Swap meet and Reunion Midway are filled with vendors and manufacturers making it easier than ever to find that hot rod part or special souvenir.