American Graffiti Comes to Life at Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion, June 15-17 DuPont Sponsoring Appearance by Actor Paul Le Mat and Two Movie Cars Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion: June 15-17, National Trail Raceway, Columbus, Ohio ...
American Graffiti Comes to Life at Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion, June
DuPont Sponsoring Appearance by Actor Paul Le Mat and Two Movie Cars
Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion: June 15-17, National Trail Raceway, Columbus, Ohio
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- (May 22, 2007) -- American Graffiti is coming to Columbus. Thanks to Hot Hues Custom Finishes by DuPont, actor Paul Le Mat, who played John Milner in the 1973 film classic, as well as two replicas of the movie's cars, will be appearing at the 5th Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion, presented by SoffSeal, June 15-17, National Trail Raceway in Hebron, just outside Columbus.
According to Tony Thacker, executive director of the nonprofit Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum, presented by the Automobile Club of Southern California, Le Mat will be available for autographs and pictures with the famous cars, a yellow 1932 Ford Coupe that Le Mat drove and the black '55 Chevrolet 150 sedan driven by Harrison Ford.
"Everyone at the Reunion remembers 'where they were in '62,'" said Thacker, "so this will be a real treat for fans of American Graffiti and hot rods in general," said Thacker. "It's another reason to come out to the event and bring the family."
Since its inception, DuPont has been a sponsor of the National Hot Rod Reunion, which is 3-day family fun fest, mixing rods and racing in a reunion- like atmosphere. "It's a great event," said DuPont's Tom Mellis, "and we're glad to continue our support of it by bring in Paul Le Mat and the American Graffiti cars. We think the fans will really get a thrill out of meeting him."
The Reunion is part of the Parks Museum's Hot Rod Heritage Series which works to bring to life the sights, sounds and people who made history in the early days of drag racing, land speed racing and the golden age of American car culture.
Unique among motorsports events, the Reunion honors some of the top names in hot rodding from the past and features a fabulous array of cool drag cars, street rods, classics, customs and muscle cars of the historic and present-day hot rod eras.
The Reunion features a wide variety of activities and events, including:
* A ribbon-cutting ceremony followed by a cruise from the Columbus Airport Marriott to Jeg's High Performance in Delaware, Ohio, Thursday, June 14, starting 4 p.m.
* Just added: Hot Hues Custom Finishes by DuPont is sponsoring the appearance of American Graffiti actor Paul Le Mat, as well as two replica cars from the film: a yellow 1932 Ford Coupe that Le Mat drove and the black '55 Chevrolet 150 sedan driven by Harrison Ford.
* Hot Heads Eliminator NHRA vintage drag racing, featuring some the sport's most famous and historic cars and drivers, racing in such classes at Top Fuel, Supercharged Gassers, classic Funny Cars and Super Stocks.
* SoffSeal Street rod "show and shine" with thousands of gleaming pre-1972 hot rods, street rods, custom cars, classics and muscle cars. "Memory Lane" will have a display of nostalgic race cars.
* National Hot Rod Reunion Reception, held at the Columbus Airport Marriott, Fri., June 15 from 7 p.m.- 10 p.m. Open to everyone at no charge, it's a tribute to the Reunion's Grand Marshal and Honorees and a chance for fans to meet some of drag racing's heroes. Grand Marshal for the event will be Jeg Coughlin. This year's honorees are John Abbott, Don Cain, Ted Harbit, Fred Hurst, and the team of Gary Rupp and Pat Dakin. The Justice Bros. Reunion Spotlight highlights Frank Hawley.
* Heacock Classic Insurance Pit Pass Barbeque on Saturday afternoon, June 16.
* Cacklefest on Saturday evening, where nitro-burning historic, front-engine top-fuel dragsters and other classic race cars are push started just like in the "old days."
* The Swap meet and Reunion Midway are filled with manufacturer exhibits and demonstrations
* Information, including a full activities schedule, entry forms and tickets, is available through the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum at museum.nhra.com. Requests may be emailed to email@example.com.
Proceeds of the Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion directly benefit the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum in Pomona, Calif. The museum houses the very roots of hot rodding. Scores of famous vehicles spanning American motorsports history are on display, including winning cars representing 50 years of drag racing, dry lakes and salt-flat racers, oval track challengers and exhibits describing their colorful backgrounds.
The Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum, presented by the Automobile Club of Southern California, is open Wednesday through Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., PST. Current NHRA members are admitted free. Admission for non- members is $6 for adults, $4 for seniors 60 and older, $4 for juniors six through 15, and free for children under the age of five. Auto Club members receive discounts on admission and at the gift shop: show your card and save.
The Museum is also available for private parties, meetings, corporate events, weddings and special group tours. The Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum is located at Fairplex Gate 1, 1101 W. McKinley Ave., Pomona, Calif. 91768. For further information on special exhibits, museum events or directions, call 909/622-2133 or visit museum.nhra.com.