POST RACE NOTES: 37th annual ACDelco NHRA Gatornationals March 16-19, Gainesville Raceway, Gainesville, Fla. TOP FUEL * Dave Grubnic earned his second career victory when he powered his StriVectin-SD dragster to a 4.943-second pass at...
POST RACE NOTES:
37th annual ACDelco NHRA Gatornationals
March 16-19, Gainesville Raceway, Gainesville, Fla.
* Dave Grubnic earned his second career victory when he powered his StriVectin-SD dragster to a 4.943-second pass at 317.90 mph. Grubnic defeated Melanie Troxel, who lengthened her lead in the POWERade points standings with her fourth consecutive final-round appearance.
* Troxel recorded a 7.995 at 93.59 after her Skull Gear/Torco Race Fuels dragster lost traction near the starting line. Her dragster was one of three entries owned by Don Schumacher to reach the finals.
* Tony Schumacher extended his No. 1 qualifying sweep to three in his U.S. Army dragster, after narrowly making the cut for Sunday's race. Schumacher qualified for the 16-car field on Saturday. Schumacher topped the field with a performance of 4.515 at 325.96 mph. It was the 25th No. 1 qualifying effort of his career.
* Schumacher exited in the first round of eliminations with a loss to Doug Herbert.
* Morgan Lucas' Lucas Oil crew won the Full Throttle Pit Crew Challenge award.
* Doug Kalitta defeated Larry Dixon by a .0029-second margin of victory in the quarterfinal round of eliminations to earn the Motel 6 "Who Got the Light" award.
* POWERade points leader Ron Capps extended his lead in the standings with a win over John Force. It was Capps' 18th career victory, first of the season and first at Gainesville Raceway.
* Capps powered his Brut Dodge Stratus to a 4.860 at 316.78 to earn the win over Force, who was disqualified when his Castrol GTX Ford Mustang crossed the center line.
* Force earned his 127th career No. 1 qualifying position and his second of the season with a 4.751 at 323.62 in his Castrol GTX Ford Mustang. It was his sixth No. 1 at Gainesville.
* Force's Castrol GTX crew won the Full Throttle Pit Crew Challenge award.
* Frank Pedregon's Von Dutch Apparel Dodge Stratus R/T won the NHRA award for Best Appearing Crew.
* Tom Martino won his first event in five years behind the wheel of his Kendall Oil Dodge Stratus. Martino's 6.677 at 205.80 was enough to push past Erica Enders, who coasted to an 18.482 at 41.77 after her Slammers Ultimate Milk Chevy Cobalt lost traction at the start.
* It was Martino's first win since the 2001 season and his 13th career final round. He earned a runner-up finish in Pomona at the 2005 season-ender.
* Enders, who is still seeking her first career victory after two final round appearances, became the first woman to reach a Pro Stock final round at Chicago last fall.
* Greg Anderson earned his third No. 1 qualifier in as many races when he drove his Summit Racing Equipment Pontiac GTO to a 6.637 at 207.51 to lead the quickest Pro Stock field in NHRA history, which was anchored by Dave Howard's run of 6.701 at 206.28. It was the 43rd No.1 qualifying performance of Anderson's career and third at Gainesville Raceway.
* Anderson's bid for his second win of the season fell short when he was defeated by Greg Stanfield in the second round. He increased his series lead to 75 over Warren Johnson.
* Anderson's Summit Racing Equipment crew won the Full Throttle Pit Crew Challenge award.
PRO STOCK MOTORCYCLE
* Angelle Sampey, the winningest female in NHRA history, notched her 38th career victory.
* Sampey recorded a 7.138 at 187.73 on her U.S. Army Suzuki to take the win after her Don Schumacher Racing teammate Antron Brown fouled out at the starting line.
* Sampey gave half of the credit for the win to Brown, who fixed the shift light on her Suzuki before the final round.
* Sampey was one of two women to win at the Gatornationals. Ashley Force, daughter of 13-time Funny Car world champion John Force, reached the Winner's Circle with a victory in the Top Alcohol Dragster category in the Lucas Oil Series. Five women, including Pro Stock's Erica Enders, Top Fuel's Melanie Troxel, Stock Eliminator's Brenda Grubbs, Force and Sampey reached the final rounds in their respective categories at the event.
* The last time two women won at the same NHRA national event was in Houston in 2004, when Karen Stoffer won Pro Stock Motorcycle and Erica Enders won in Super Gas.
* Ryan Schnitz earned his second career No. 1 qualifying position when he rode his Team Muzzy Buell to a 7.012 at 188.63.
* Brown's U.S. Army crew won the Full Throttle Pit Crew Challenge award.
POWERADE FAN NATIONALS
* Timothy Mays, 19, of Florida City, Fla., battled hundreds of other fans to win Gainesville's POWERade Fan Nationals. Mays, a second-year computer technology student at Miami Dade College, has been an NHRA fan for 16 years -- and borrowed tactics from his favorite Top Fuel drivers, John Force and Joe Amato, to win the title in ultra-realistic Funny Car simulators. He will have the opportunity to race for the ultimate title of 2006 POWERade Fan Nationals Series champion in November at the 42nd annual Automobile Club of Southern California NHRA Finals.