* The O'Reilly Fall Nationals at the Texas Motorplex marks the return of the NHRA to the Dallas area. Goodyear-equipped cars won six titles at the May 25-28 Castrol Nationals. Those wins included Gary Scelzi (Top Fuel), John Force (Funny Car),...
* The O'Reilly Fall Nationals at the Texas Motorplex marks the return of the NHRA to the Dallas area. Goodyear-equipped cars won six titles at the May 25-28 Castrol Nationals. Those wins included Gary Scelzi (Top Fuel), John Force (Funny Car), V. Gaines (Pro Stock), Scott Benham (Competition Eliminator), Lee Bannister (Stock) and Jimmy Lintz (Super Gas).
* Goodyear will be represented in each of the 11 NHRA classes competing in Dallas. They include the four Winston Pro classes (Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock and Pro Stock Truck), two Federal-Mogul (FM Dragster, FM Funny Car) and five Sportsman classes (Competition Eliminator, Super Stock, Stock, Super Comp and Super Gas).
* With 116 event wins in NHRA National competition, Goodyear is the leading tire manufacturer in 2000. The company takes an average of 500 tires to each NHRA National -- 250 for the Winston Pro competitors and 250 for the Sportsman categories.
* Goodyear engineers and NHRA drivers have been busy this year developing new Eagle Dragway Specials for competition; in fact, Goodyear will have three tires available at the O'Reilly Nationals and next week's Matco Tools Supernationals at Houston Raceway Park that were not available at either of the Spring races. The D1230 Eagle Dragway Special, introduced at September's Matco Tools Spring Supernationals, has quickly become a favorite of the Top Fuel division, winning at Reading, Pa., (Joe Amato), Topeka (Scelzi) and Memphis (Scelzi). Bruce Sarver also gave the D1230 a winning run in Funny Car at Reading.
* Goodyear claimed its first Winston Pro Series championship of the 2000 season at Memphis when Jeg Coughlin Jr. clinched the Winston Pro Stock title. For Coughlin, Memphis was his 10th title of the 2000 campaign; one shy of Darrell Alderman's record set in 1991. Part of Coughlin's recent success has come on Goodyear's new D1239 tire for Pro Stock and Pro Stock Truck competition.
"Goodyear would like to congratulate Jeg Coughlin Jr. and the entire JEG'S Mail Order Racing/Coughlin Bros. Racing team on, not only clinching the NHRA Winston Pro Stock Championship at Memphis, but also on their record breaking performance throughout the 2000 season," said Perry Bell, Goodyear operations manager, drag racing. "To clinch the championship in the highly competitive Pro Stock class with three races remaining is a real tribute to the entire JEG'S team, their commitment to excellence and attention to detail."
The season began with Goodyear facing competition in Pro Stock for the first time in eight years. Coughlin responded by winning a record six of the first seven races on Goodyear tires. Jeg's win at Memphis was Goodyear's 168th consecutive Pro Stock victory. "This was particularly satisfying after all of the preseason hype regarding tire competition and certainly demonstrates Goodyear's commitment to drag racing," Bell added. "However, even with the success Goodyear enjoyed at the beginning of the season we did not let up on our aggressive development program. This program, through Memphis, has produced victories in Pro Stock and Pro Stock Truck with pre-production versions of the new D1239 Pro Stock tire and we have additional new products planned for the 2001 season. Goodyear, is without question, committed to producing a product that is without equal in drag racing."
* "Team JEG'S is extremely excited to clinch the 2000 Winston Pro Stock Championship," said Jeg Jr. "We were challenged at many events this year with alleged traction issues. But, the team was confident every run with their Goodyear Eagle race tires. We have been very pleased working with Goodyear engineers and staff technicians throughout the 2000 season and look forward to our relationship continuing to spin.
"Just like in all forms of motorsports you are always searching for an edge," added Jeg Jr. "We are really excited about the development of the next generation of tires and look forward to breaking records and winning with Goodyear."
* The Super Gas division has been the beneficiary of two new Goodyear Eagles in 2000. Both the D1160 and the D1162 tires were introduced at Columbus and feature the D-1 compound with new construction developed especially for the Super Gas class. The major difference between the two tires is the tread width. The D1160 has a 14-inch width and the D1162 is 16 inches.
* DID YOU KNOW?: That from a standing start, NHRA Top Fuel dragsters accelerate faster than a jumbo jet, a fighter jet and a Formula One race car.