NASCAR Winston West Series Race ...
NASCAR Winston West Series Race #7 of 10
NAPA Auto Parts 200 By Stockton Speedway Dodge Country
Presented By Prolong & Janiking
Stockton 99 Speedway, Stockton, Calif.
Saturday, Aug. 17, 2002 - 8:30 p.m. PT
TV: NASCAR TV on SPEED Channel (Tape Delay)
Air Date & Time: Sept. 3, 2 p.m. ET
SCHEDULE: Friday, Aug. 16
2:00 p.m. Optional Practice to 4:00 p.m.
4:30 p.m. Optional Alternating Practice to 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 17
12:00 p.m. Practice to 12:45 p.m.
1:15 p.m. Practice to 2:00 p.m.
5:30 p.m. Time Trials, All Positions (2 laps)
THE RACE: Stockton 99 Speedway is a quarter-mile paved oval with blended banking of up to 14 degrees in turns one and two and up to 17 degrees in turns three and four. The track, which is in its 56th year of activity, hosted 13 NASCAR Winston West Series races between 1966 and 1983.
PARTICIPATING AWARDS SPONSORS:
Winston, Anheuser-Busch, Auto Meter Products, Clevite Engine Parts, Competition Cams, Edelbrock Intake Manifolds, Featherlite Trailers, Ford Motor Company, Gatorade, Goodyear Belts & Hoses, Holley Carburetors, Hoosier Tires, JE Pistons, Jesel Rocker Arms, MAC Tools, Moog Chassis Parts, MSD Ignitions, Raybestos Brakes, Stage 8 Locking Fasteners, Wix Air Filters, 3M Automotive, 76 Race Gasoline.
NOTES ON THIS EVENT:
* This race is the seventh of 10 events on the NASCAR Winston West Series schedule for 2002. It is the first visit to Stockton 99 Speedway since 1983. It is the first time the series has competed on a quarter-mile oval since 1985.
* The list of winners in series competition at Stockton 99 Speedway includes some very well known drivers. Jack McCoy, who will serve as the Grand Marshall for this event, tops the list with four victories. While Dick Bown and Jim Bown each had two wins, drivers with one series victory on the historic track include Ivan Baldwin, Jim Insolo, Marvin Porter, Johnny Steele and Tim Williamson.
* McCoy was dominant in terms of qualifying, as well, winning five Bud Pole Awards at Stockton. Jim Bown follows on that list with two. Six drivers who set the fast mark once in series competition on the quarter-mile paved oval are Ron Eaton, Ray Elder, Insolo, Porter, Roy Smith and John Soares.
* McCoy has led the most laps of competition at Stockton in the modern era of the series (1971-present). He led in three different races, for a total of 261 laps.
* Jim Bown is credited with winning the most money in the modern era, meanwhile. He netted $6,160 for the two races he raced and won.
* When the series visited Stockton 19 years ago, the total purse was $20,000 and the winner received $2,870. The total posted awards for this year’s event exceed $112,000.
* The Wholesale Truck Parts entry owned by John Kieper and driven by Jim Bown set the current track record and won the last series race at Stockton. Kevin Culver, who has not competed in the series since 2000, is expected to be back in action at Stockton– driving the Wholesale Truck Parts entry of Kieper’s son, Richard.
* A veteran of NASCAR’s Featherlite Southwest Series, Kenny Shepherd of Merced, Calif., is among the list of entries expected at Stockton.