NEWS OF NOTE * Tight top-10 battle& ...
NEWS OF NOTE
* Tight top-10 battle… This year’s competition for top 10 positions in the championship standings features tight contests throughout. Only 156 points separate the nine drivers in second through 10th.
* Maintaining high average finish… Eric Norris has an average finish of 3.43 in the first seven races this season. Kevin Richards has the next highest with a 5.71.
* Completing laps… Norris and Richards are tied for the most laps of competition completed this season. Each has completed 1,164 of the 1,165 possible.
* Show me the money… Norris, with $82,713, also leads his competition in terms of money won so far this year.
* Out front… Austin Cameron tops the list in terms of leading laps of competition this season. He has had the NAPA/Martin Senour Chevrolet out front for 353 circuits.
* Blow out the candles… Drivers celebrating a birthday during the month of September include Bobby Hillis, who turned 41 on the 10th; Scott Saunders, who turned 38 on the 12th; Gene Christensen, who turns 48 on the 25th; Davy Lee Liniger, who turns 57 also on the 25th; Kenny Smith, who turns 56 also on the 25th; Dan Obrist, who turns 56 on the 27th; and Zan Sharp, who turns 37 on the 30th.
ON THE RIGHT TRACK
* Johnny Borneman (No. 8 Borneman Plastering/Red Line Oil Ford) notched Ford’s first win at Stockton in the history of the series with his victory on Aug. 17.
* Brandon Ash (No. 23 Little Trees/Fuji Film/Auto Marine Ford) won the Bud Pole Award at Stockton, his first of the season and the second of his career.
* Mike Duncan (No. 9 MB Duncan Motorsports Chevrolet) finished second at Stockton, to equal his best career finish. The runner-up finish was his second of the season and the third of his career.
* Eric Norris (No. 32 JaniKing/Ultra Wheels Ford) has five consecutive top-five finishes, with the most recent being his fourth-place finish at Stockton.
* Gene Woods (No. 7 CNWB/Cyber Credit Dodge) notched his first top-10 finish in the series with a sixth-place finish at Stockton.
FROM THE ARCHIVES
* On Aug. 31, 1975, Ray Elder finished as the only car on the lead lap as he drove to victory in a Dodge at Evergreen Speedway in Monroe, Wash.
TV: NASCAR TV on SPEED Channel (Tape Delay)
Air Date & Time: Oct. 7, 8 p.m. ET
SCHEDULE: Saturday, Aug. 31
1:00 p.m. Practice to 1:45 p.m.
2:15 p.m. Practice to 3:00 p.m.
3:15 p.m. Practice to 3:45 p.m.
4:30 p.m. Mandatory Drivers’ Meeting
5:30 p.m. Time Trials, All Positions (2 laps)