COORS LIGHT 200 SUMMARY: * The Coors Light 200 Presented by NAPA and Albertson& ...
COORS LIGHT 200 SUMMARY:
* The Coors Light 200 Presented by NAPA and Albertson’s is the only visit by the series to Evergreen Speedway this season. As the fifth of 10 races on the 2002 schedule, it marks the midway point of the season.
* A combined $50,000 from the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., will be paid out through the NASCAR Winston West Series Leader Bonus Program to the top 15 drivers in the championship standings based on the first five events. The prize money, which is part of the $350,000 point fund award from Reynolds’ Winston brand, is slated to be presented to the drivers prior to the race at Irwindale Speedway on July 27.
* Twenty different drivers have won a series race at Evergreen Speedway since 1971. Kevin Richards is the only previous winner expected to enter this event.
* Since 1983, there have only been two regular competitors in the series who reached victory lane at Monroe and did not win the series championship during their racing career. They are Richards, who won in 1999, and Derrike Cope, who won in 1985.
* Orleans Racing will attempt to extend its streak of podium finishes at Monroe to five. The NAPA/Martin Senour-sponsored Chevrolet has finished first or second in the past four events at Evergreen Speedway. The Bill McAnally-led team finished in the runner-up spot in 1998 with Gary Smith behind the wheel and took another second-place finish in 1999 with Sean Woodside at the controls. Brendan Gaughan, who is competing this season for the rookie title in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series, scored back-to-back series wins for the team at Evergreen Speedway, with victories in 2000 and 2001.
* Ray Elder has the most wins at Evergreen Speedway, with five. He visited victory lane in 1971, twice in 1972 and twice in 1975.
* Bill Elliott holds the record for the most Bud Pole Awards at the Monroe facility, with four. Those came in 1986, 1987, 1989 and 1990.
* Roy Smith leads the lists for most top-five finishes (nine) and top -10 finishes (14) in series competition at the track since 1971.
* Chad Little has led the most laps of series competition around the Monroe track since 1971, staying out front for 1,183 circuits.
* Jack Sellers has taken the green flag in 14 series races at the .646-mile track, more than any other active driver in the series. His best finish there was ninth in 1991.
* Bill Sedgwick leads in terms of money won in series events at Evergreen Speedway in the modern era. He has winnings of $108,351 in 10 races.
* A total of 274 different drivers have competed in the 34 NASCAR Winston West Series events held at the .646-mile oval in the modern era of the series, 1971-present.
* Ford tops the list of manufacturer wins at Evergreen Speedway, with nine. A Chevrolet has been in victory lane following each of the last three, however.
STATS OF THE WEEK:
* Eight of the 34 winners at Evergreen Speedway since 1971 started from the Bud Pole. Of the 200-lap events, six of 16 were won from the Bud Pole.