2002 NASCAR Winston West Series Coors Light 200 Presented by NAPA and Albertson's NEWS OF NOTE * Tight rookie battle... Mike David has edged ahead in the tight battle for the prestigious Stage 8 Locking Fasteners Rookie-of-the-Year Award....
2002 NASCAR Winston West Series
Coors Light 200 Presented by NAPA and Albertson's
NEWS OF NOTE
* Tight rookie battle... Mike David has edged ahead in the tight battle for the prestigious Stage 8 Locking Fasteners Rookie-of-the-Year Award. David has 35 points, just ahead of Greg Pursley with 34 points and Brett Thompson with 33 points.
* Topping the field... In addition to leading the championship standings, Eric Norris leads the series in several other categories. He has the best average finish so far this season-- with an average finish of 4.25 after the first four races. Norris also leads in terms of money won, with $48,265.
* Running in circles... Norris is tied with Kevin Richards for the most laps completed this season. The two drivers have each completed 562 of the 563 possible in the first four races. In addition, Norris and Richards are the only two drivers to finish in the top 10 in all four of those races.
* Leading the way... Austin Cameron tops the list in terms of leading laps of competition this season. He has had the NAPA/Martin Senour Chevrolet out front for 174 laps.
* Series debut... Japanese driver Takuma Koga is to make his series debut in this event. Prior to this, he competed in Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series, NASCAR Touring events at Evergreen Speedway. Also set to make his series debut at Monroe is Ralph Hubbert of Chelalis, Wash.
* Number change... After initially having the number 5 on his Injury Helpline.com Ford entry driven by Mike David, car owner Randy Lynch has switched to the number 2.
ON THE RIGHT TRACK
* Brandon Ash (No. 23 Little Trees/Fuji Film/Auto Marine Ford) collected his first career series victory in the most recent race at Kansas City on June 1. He had four runner-up finishes in 57 races prior to notching his first win.
* Mike Duncan (No. 9 MB Duncan Motorsports Chevrolet) turned in a runner-up finish at Kansas City to match his career-best finish, which came last season at The Bullring at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
* Jack Sellers (No. 15 Aramark/Dayco Belts Pontiac) equaled his best career finish in the series with a seventh-place finish at Kansas City. He had three previous seventh-place finishes, with the most recent coming in 1996 at Madera, Calif.
* Eric Norris (No. 32 JaniKing/Ultra Wheels Ford) has moved past the $400,000 mark in career winnings. He is 10th on the list of Career Money Leaders for the series with $404,478.
FROM THE ARCHIVES
* In 1974, Harry Jefferson led a 200-lap NASCAR Winston West Series event flag-to-flag en route to victory at Evergreen Speedway.