NASCAR GRAND NATIONAL DIVISION, AUTOZONE WEST SERIES POST-RACE NOTES -- IRWINDALE KING TACO 200, MAY 27 * First repeat winner -- With his victory in the King Taco 200 at Irwindale Calif.) Speedway on Saturday, May 27; Andrew Myers...
NASCAR GRAND NATIONAL DIVISION, AUTOZONE WEST SERIES
POST-RACE NOTES -- IRWINDALE
KING TACO 200, MAY 27
* First repeat winner -- With his victory in the King Taco 200 at Irwindale Calif.) Speedway on Saturday, May 27; Andrew Myers (No. 44 Toyota of Escondido Chevrolet) became the first driver with multiple wins in 2006. The Huntington Beach, Calif., competitor had recorded his first career series win at Phoenix just over a month ago. Myers, who is not running the full series schedule this season, has won two of three events he has entered so far in 2006.
* First Budweiser Pole for Holmes -- Eric Holmes (No. 62 Sunoco Race Fuels/Paul Oil Chevrolet) recorded his first career Budweiser Pole in the AutoZone West Series, after lapping the half-mile Irwindale oval at 97.736 mph. Holmes, who became the fourth different Budweiser Pole winner in four races this season, came within inches of also scoring his first career victory. He was side-by-side with Myers at the finish line, with Myers' ahead by .016 of a second. Holmes also finished in the runner-up spot in the season opener at Phoenix in January.
* Running up front -- Series rookie Brian Ickler (No. 20 NAPA Filters/NAPA Belts & Hose Chevrolet) led his first laps in series competition, running out front for 28 circuits at Irwindale. He went on to finish eighth and was the top finishing rookie.
* Career best marks -- Daniel DiGiacomo (No. 31 Russos Pet Experience Chevrolet) recorded a career best finish. His ninth-place finish was one spot better than the 10th-place mark he registered in his series debut at Irwindale last season.
* Solid finishes -- Two drivers competing in their first series race came away with solid finishes on the lead lap at Irwindale. Barry Bradshaw (No. 4 Puskarich Racing Pontiac) crossed the finish line in 12th and Stan Silva Jr. (Total Control/Stan Silva Jr. Trucking Chevrolet) was 13th.
* POWERade Power Move -- Daniel DiGiacomo's charge from 18th on the grid to finish ninth earned him the POWERade Power Move of the Race Award at Irwindale. At each Grand National Division event, POWERade presents the award to the driver who advances the most positions.
* Featherlite Most Improved -- Eric Holmes received the Featherlite Most Improved Driver Award at Irwindale. He bounced back from a 20th-place finish at Stockton to finish second at Irwindale. Featherlite presents the award at each event to the driver who improves the most finishing positions from the previous event.